Maximum PC

It is currently Sat Nov 22, 2014 8:43 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 6:13 pm 
Team Member
Team Member

Dwood15 wrote:
For now, it seems that FF will be my main in my 'nix builds.

Why?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 1:58 pm 
Team Member
Team Member

Well in the Windows world, I'd say stay with FF.
I just tried Chrome for a week and I'm going back to FF.
Chrome is just too slow compared to FF.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 3:37 pm 
Team Member Top 500
Team Member Top 500

-Lawless wrote:

WHAT lol? Chrome is amazing get the developer build ad it has extensions way better than FF.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 7:34 am 
Team Member
Team Member

Danthrax66 wrote:
-Lawless wrote:

WHAT lol? Chrome is amazing get the developer build ad it has extensions way better than FF.

I open the same 8 tabs every day. FF is loaded up with add-ons and extensions and it just works much more smoothly than Chrome with nothing even added on.
Believe me, I wanted Chrome to be all that but at least running in Windows...I don't see it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 10:14 am 
Team Member Top 500
Team Member Top 500

Well some FF extension make pages load faster so yeah without that chrome would be slower but when they officialy release build 4 with extension support it will be faster.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 10:30 am 
Java Junkie
Java Junkie

Let's not speculate about the performance of unreleased software.

We can compare when the code is released to the public. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 10:34 am 
Team Member Top 500
Team Member Top 500

Jipstyle wrote:
Let's not speculate about the performance of unreleased software.

We can compare when the code is released to the public. :)

Well you can download it I am using it with extensions and like it way better than firefox.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 10:42 am 
Java Junkie
Java Junkie

We prefer arguments with factual bases rather than opinions in this folder. FYI.

If you aren't willing to try both browsers and compare them, you really don't have much reason to be in this thread.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 10:50 am 
Team Member
Team Member

Danthrax66 wrote:
Well some FF extension make pages load faster so yeah without that chrome would be slower but when they officialy release build 4 with extension support it will be faster.

By extensions I'm talking about themes etc. I don't have any "boost" type things installed to make it faster.
I'm just saying that I would expect FF to be slower because I have it bogged down with extras but in fact is ran faster than Chrome. Could be Chrome just isn't as compatible as FF on certain websites.

One for example is our Copy Machine/printer. It has a web based administrator page that won't even load up in Chrome, yet in FF and IE there is no problem at all.... go figure.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 12:21 pm 
Team Member Top 500
Team Member Top 500

Jipstyle wrote:
We prefer arguments with factual bases rather than opinions in this folder. FYI.

If you aren't willing to try both browsers and compare them, you really don't have much reason to be in this thread.

I have used both browser and I have used opera and ie chrome is by far the best I have used. It also doesn't have the massive amount of bars at the top taking away screen space.

yeah it still has compatibility problems but the ie tab extension is in the dev build so it can render pages through ie if they don't want to load. I agree with the fact that it still needs time to be what ie or ff are.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 12:48 pm 
Northwood
Northwood

Danthrax66 wrote:
I have used both browser and I have used opera and ie chrome is by far the best I have used. It also doesn't have the massive amount of bars at the top taking away screen space.

Bars? You mean the useful things that have the address, search, tab and bookmark functionality? The ones you can quickly obliterate by pressing F11 or adding an extension to do it for you? You know, some of us have large screens and are okay with 200 pixels being stolen off of the top.

Is there anything better about Chrome than Firefox that isn't so subjective? Like, I know that it has the process-per-tab thing where you can have one tab crash and still not lose the others, but that's about the extent of my knowledge.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 1:00 pm 
Team Member
Team Member

nmanguy wrote:
Danthrax66 wrote:

Bars? You mean the useful things that have the address, search, tab and bookmark functionality? The ones you can quickly obliterate by pressing F11 or adding an extension to do it for you? You know, some of us have large screens and are okay with 200 pixels being stolen off of the top.

Or just go to View>Toolbars and uncheck what you don't want. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 1:12 pm 
Java Junkie
Java Junkie

nmanguy wrote:
Danthrax66 wrote:

Is there anything better about Chrome than Firefox that isn't so subjective? Like, I know that it has the process-per-tab thing where you can have one tab crash and still not lose the others, but that's about the extent of my knowledge.

Chrome also has a lower memory footprint / tab according to most reviewers. My own experience bears this out as well.

However, browser use is almost as subjective as OS use so I hesitate to state things as firmly as Danthrax. Different browsers handled different sites and different technologies .. well .. differently. The only way to tell which browser is best for you is to spend a decent amount of time with each.