Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 12:02 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: BSC Hons computing student, which future job prospects are a
PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2009 12:27 pm 

Hello all!!!!

I am 31 and in the second half of my first year at University in Dundee Scotland, I want to maximize my potential in my four year course. Such as work experience in the summer holidays, internships and other ways for me to gain experience in the industry. As there are many aspects of computing, I want to make sure I choose the best career path so when I am 35 and a graduate I dont waste any time in fulfilling my dream.

I am hard working and willing to put everything into these four years and would rather concentrate on my career during the 3 months break in summer as opposed to working in my trade. I am aiming to obtain a first degree and I'm confident I will suceed.

If anyone with experience can give me some pointers and advice as to which direction the industry is heading and which companies etc are worth contacting regards employment/work experience, I would very much appreciate it.

Thanks all for your time!

Ray

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2009 10:53 am 
TravBv2.0
TravBv2.0

All of the information you're looking for depends on what you're actually hoping to get out of your degree. The "computer field" has very different sides to it. It boils to down to 4 career types in the grand scheme of things.

1. You make hardware. I'm not talking about making PCB and copper out of thin air. I'm talking about designing the hardware.

2. You make the software. Computers, and electronics in general, are absolutely useless without the software to control the hardware, right? This could be the BIOS for motherboards, or working on software for Google or Microsoft.

3. You're the IT guy. Whether it's Geek Squad or a Network Admin for a large company, the world needs people who understand computers and understands people. If you've ever helped a friend or family member with a computer problem, you know exactly what I'm referring to. People can be brilliant accountants, doctors, business men... you name the career and there's a good chance they're retarded when it comes to computers. They, and the billions of people across the globe, will always need assistance with technical issues.

4. You're the guy that manages others in one of these groups. Sure, it might be less hands on and more meetings, conference calls, reporting to the boys "upstairs", and double-checking your underling's work, but hardware engineers, devs, techs, and admins all have bosses too.

So, with all that in mind, what are you wanting to do with your degree?

Also something worth noting, this is largely a North American forum. We do have some members overseas, but the vast majority of us are located in the US. Therefore, our view of the IT market is largely that of the US IT market. I'm not too sure how much it differs to Scotland or to any other country, but we'll offer the best advice we can.