Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 8:49 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Native linux questions
PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 3:50 pm 
Team Member Top 500
Team Member Top 500

Ok so if I was to move to native linux how hard would it be to set up gaming, steam mw2 css l4d ventrilo crysis etc. Anyone have experience with this or know of any step by step guides? Is ubuntu the best distro?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 4:00 pm 
Million Club - 20 Plus
Million Club - 20 Plus

Linux is not good for gaming.

Ted

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 4:01 pm 
Folding for Elena
Folding for Elena

Gaming??? If you are any kind of gamer, in a few words...forget it! Almost no games work on Linux.

My fave distro is Ubuntu, but believe me, my gaming rig is Windows, though I have no real love for Mr. Gates and Co.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 5:54 pm 
Team Member Top 500
Team Member Top 500

well i've almost gotten css to work on fedora but there aren't any ati drivers for fedora so that failed it started but crashed when entering a match. But on my desktop I have an nvidia gpu so the drivers are a little better and ubuntu has more support, so I guess I'll try. Another question is how hard is it to install linux on a RAID 0 array I think I saw raid drivers on my motherboards driver disc but idk how hard it is to get that to work.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 6:37 pm 
Team Member Top 500
Team Member Top 500

If you setup RAID using a controller it is just as easy as selecting the block devices. Linux "sees" the multiple hard drive set as a simple block device with a beginning and an end. Everything is handled by the controller.

The other method uses LVM, but I'd recommend trying things with a controller before using LVM. There isn't anything wrong with LVM, but it sounds like you'll need some time working with Linux before jumping into LVM.

In fact, only recently have a used geom to setup a RAID 1 array on FreeBSD 8 for my webserver.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 8:24 pm 
Team Member Top 500
Team Member Top 500

pcfxer wrote:
If you setup RAID using a controller it is just as easy as selecting the block devices. Linux "sees" the multiple hard drive set as a simple block device with a beginning and an end. Everything is handled by the controller.

The other method uses LVM, but I'd recommend trying things with a controller before using LVM. There isn't anything wrong with LVM, but it sounds like you'll need some time working with Linux before jumping into LVM.

In fact, only recently have a used geom to setup a RAID 1 array on FreeBSD 8 for my webserver.

So its easier than doing it for windows 7? Because honestly there were no drivers officially for 7 when I set it up so I had to go through about 20 drivers before I found the right one. Anyway I just realised there is a linux forum section so can a mod please move this thread there, not that I don't like it here or anything but there may be some linux masters that don't fold.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 11:45 am 
Java Junkie
Java Junkie

Linux is a different OS from Windows. Windows games, largely speaking, do not run under Linux.

Having said that .. someone wrote an absolutely fabulous HOW-TO for running Windows games on Linux for MPC last year and the fundamentals haven't changed: Link to best article published in MPC ever

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 12:23 pm 
TravBv2.0
TravBv2.0

Jipstyle wrote:
Linux is a different OS from Windows. Windows games, largely speaking, do not run under Linux.

Having said that .. someone wrote an absolutely fabulous HOW-TO for running Windows games on Linux for MPC last year and the fundamentals haven't changed: Link to best article published in MPC ever

Lolz Jip. Toot your horn lately?

OP, if gaming is your thing than stick with Windows. If using Linux is important or preferable to you, then you'll live with the rebooting just to fire up a game, or doing non-gaming tasks in a virtual machine. Or, just learn to live with other games such as Neverball and SuperTux.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 1:09 pm 
Java Junkie
Java Junkie

Toot toot mofos! :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 1:32 pm 
SON OF A GUN
SON OF A GUN

Has anybody used crossover games? That *might* work?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 9:15 pm 
Team Member Top 500
Team Member Top 500

I know it can be done http://appdb.winehq.org/ was just hoping there was an easy way to set things up. Well I have a week to either get it working or reinstall windows.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 9:45 pm 
Java Junkie
Java Junkie

That links shows the easiest free way to get it setup.

Crash gave you the hint for the easiest way .. crossover games .. but it isn't free and isn't guaranteed to work.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2009 5:48 am 
Team Member Top 500
Team Member Top 500

Yeah well I'm back on the fence as to whether or not to attempt this ventrilo doesn't have official support yet and neither do any of my razer products so this may be a project for the summer if at all now just doesn't seem like a worth while project right now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2009 7:35 am 
SON OF A GUN
SON OF A GUN

Jipstyle wrote:
That links shows the easiest free way to get it setup.

Crash gave you the hint for the easiest way .. crossover games .. but it isn't free and isn't guaranteed to work.
Games + Linux = fail. Usually...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2009 9:10 am 
TravBv2.0
TravBv2.0

I've never used Crossover Games, but I've tried to install games that many others have gotten working in Linux. I'm talking Halo, GTAIII, SW BattleFront, source games.... I've never gotten a windows app to isntall in Wine.

Even the simple test prep software my company makes won't install with Wine. :(

Either wait for a Linux version or keep a Windows install handy. It's really the only reason I've held on to for the last few years.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 11:52 am 
Team Member
Team Member

I've got an nVidia card, and Half Life 2 and Counter-Strike: Source work flawlessly under plain ol' Wine.

I don't really play games, but I can tell you with a fair certainty that the only games that'll run well enough to enjoy will be at least five years old.

Don't bother trying to run games in Wine. It works, but it's a waste of time.

I use GNU/Linux for the file system structure and all the sweet apps (and, yeah, the freedom part, too). Apps.. not games.