Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Sun Aug 31, 2014 1:53 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Google Chrome
PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 9:16 am 
Team Member
Team Member
User avatar

Joined: Fri Apr 28, 2006 7:52 pm
Posts: 3189
I saw an ad on Google for the GNU/Linux version of Chrome, so I downloaded it the other day.

I've been using firefox for YEARS. I've never been satisfied with any other browser since. I've been using firefox since version 1 way back in the day.

I'm now a Google Chrome user.

It works so much better! It's fast and extremely stable. I was very fed up with Firefox because it seemed like every version was less stable than the last. It was constantly crashing, and it didn't play well with Flash (yeah, still waiting for a decent release of Gnash..) It's not just reliable. It has all the features I used in Firefox.

Have any of you used it yet? What did you think?


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 9:35 am 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jun 16, 2004 5:29 pm
Posts: 6328
Location: Far away from you
Someone may want to move this to internet truckstop. Unless Yuri adds more, I don't see this as an Alt.OS topic.


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 9:41 am 
Team Member
Team Member
User avatar

Joined: Fri Apr 28, 2006 7:52 pm
Posts: 3189
furball146 wrote:
Someone may want to move this to internet truckstop. Unless Yuri adds more, I don't see this as an Alt.OS topic.

Well, I'm referring specifically to this version. I didn't expect it to work as well as the Windows version.

The installation was really easy.. I didn't have to setup Flash or anything. The option to set the browser as default actually WORKED, unlike Firefox. It integrates into the OS a lot better than Firefox does, which is pretty sad considering how long Firefox has been the DEFAULT browser on almost every distro.


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 10:07 am 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jun 16, 2004 5:29 pm
Posts: 6328
Location: Far away from you
then my apologies


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 11:05 am 
Team Member
Team Member
User avatar

Joined: Fri Apr 28, 2006 7:52 pm
Posts: 3189
This couldn't have come at a better time. I'm pissed at Mozilla for promoting Bing they way they've been, and Firefox has been pissing me off with its stability for months now.


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 11:07 am 
Java Junkie
Java Junkie
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jun 14, 2004 10:23 am
Posts: 24222
Location: Granite Heaven
I absolutely agree.

If anything, the 'nix version of Chrome is better than the 'doze version.

I may do some benchmarking this evening between the two versions on the same netbook if anyone is interested.


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 1:59 pm 
Million Club 5+ [PC]*
Million Club 5+ [PC]*
User avatar

Joined: Tue Nov 06, 2007 5:23 pm
Posts: 6233
Location: Florida
what is the state of extension support? that is the main reason why myself and many other use FF. If they have sorted that out and have a healthy amount of extensions they I may give it a whirl.

but FF v.4 is due soon and will include some of chromes more speedy features


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 2:47 pm 
Java Junkie
Java Junkie
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jun 14, 2004 10:23 am
Posts: 24222
Location: Granite Heaven
There are almost 1,000 extensions available for the Windows version .. not sure about their application on the linux side.


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 5:13 pm 
Thunderbird
Thunderbird
User avatar

Joined: Tue Nov 08, 2005 8:30 pm
Posts: 771
Location: Cliffside Park NJ
hey guys !

Thanks for reminding us about Google Chrome. I just installed it on my Mandriva2010 and it is extremely fast !

I myself had been using Firefox since 1.0 but I, too, felt dissapointed starting with version 3.1 -- its super slow and hangs alot.

So for 1 year now, I've been using Opera (Opera 10.10) is AWESOME too !

But I wonder how can u edit the SPEED DIAL, cuz I'm used to having 10x6 speed dial !


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 5:51 pm 
TravBv2.0
TravBv2.0
User avatar

Joined: Sat Mar 08, 2008 11:35 am
Posts: 3898
Location: In the server room
I've tried them all. I use IE7 and IE8 a lot at work, so I've gotten pretty cozy with Redmond's browser. Security isn't as much of a concern as it used to be really, so not using IE because it's "insecure" doesn't hold the same water anymore. Besides, I've heard of reports that more and more attacks are exploiting things like Flash and Acrobat than they are IE.

I've used Firefox for quite sometime (since version 1.5 at least). It's always been nice, but nothing particularly fantastic. It's just sort of become the standard browser that everyone uses.

Opera is awesome in some ways and makes me *facepalm* in every other way. They really bring some unique features to the browsing table that I never knew I wanted until I started using Opera. SpeedDial is awesome (LogicMaster, Opera does let you play with the number of available SpeedDial pages. It's in the settings somewhere. It defaults to 8 or 12, but I think you can have up to 25). Opera has unique features, but they FAIL on little shit that every other browser gets right. Like, popups from other sites like Facebook. I've had normal Facebook features not work on me. Or viewing Flash video on zoomed pages. Or having to click a youtube video twice before it starts playing. Fucking annoying! Little stuff, but I've had Opera mess up things that end up being Dealbreakers for me.

Safari never struck me as anything special. I've installed it, tried it, and uninstalled it.

I use Chrome full-time and have for the better part of a year now. Ever since Google first released it, I've had it installed. It was rough at first. It couldn't handle text boxes (like this one I'm typing in now) very well, but that's been fixed a while ago. It's been really stable, runs well on my system (which is no slouch). It's fast, stable, easy to use, and looks sexy to boot.

Well, as sexy as a web browser can be. ;)

Jip knows, I made a Facebook status of several "Giggity"'s when I learned that Google Chrome was released for Linux/Mac. I've had it running on Debian for a couple weeks now and it's awesome. It looks really nice with the GTK theme too.


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 5:18 am 
Team Member
Team Member
User avatar

Joined: Fri Apr 28, 2006 7:52 pm
Posts: 3189
I've been using this browser nonstop since the day I posted this thread, and the only problem I've run into is that you can't right-click on Flash applets. It's not a problem for me, but my mom won't use Chrome because she has to lower the quality of the Flash applet on Farmtown because her computer's slow.

I love the fact the scrollbar doesn't have up and down arrows. They've always bugged me because they're so pointless. No one uses them. Why does every desktop environment still force you to waste your screen space with them? KDE and Aqua are the worst.. they have three arrow buttons because the bottom one has both directions. So pointless.

I miss colored scrollbars, though. I haven't used IE in probably five years, so I don't know if they still have them. IE6's colored scrollbars looked really neat.

that Linux guy wrote:
I've tried them all. I use IE7 and IE8 a lot at work, so I've gotten pretty cozy with Redmond's browser. Security isn't as much of a concern as it used to be really, so not using IE because it's "insecure" doesn't hold the same water anymore. Besides, I've heard of reports that more and more attacks are exploiting things like Flash and Acrobat than they are IE.

Yes, I agree with this (although it was a long time coming!!). When you think about it, though, it only makes sense that people would shift the focus of malicious code to other software that hasn't posed a threat before. People have been targeting web browsers for so many years that every company has patched up pretty much every loophole by now, even Microsoft. Companies like Adobe and Apple haven't faced a lot of security breeches in the past, so their software is being targeted now because it's untested.

that Linux guy wrote:
I've used Firefox for quite sometime (since version 1.5 at least). It's always been nice, but nothing particularly fantastic. It's just sort of become the standard browser that everyone uses.

That's hilarious, because Firefox was once considered to be THE browser of our time. Mozilla got lazy and cocky.

that Linux guy wrote:
Safari never struck me as anything special. I've installed it, tried it, and uninstalled it.

Same here. I mean, I couldn't use it myself cause I don't have Windows or OS X, but I've tried it before, and I didn't see any compelling reason for anyone to use it. People only use it on their Macs because its look integrates with the rest of the system well, not because its features are something special.


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 7:37 am 
Thunderbird
Thunderbird
User avatar

Joined: Tue Nov 08, 2005 8:30 pm
Posts: 771
Location: Cliffside Park NJ
oh Hi "that linux guy",

I have about 48 link on my speed dial on Opera. My question was for Google Chrome - how to edit and make its speed-dial to a particular set of links. From what I see, Google Chrome doesn't let you edit speed-dial, it just automatically put "most common used".

if you guys knows any hack, lemme know :)


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 10:59 am 
Million Club 2+ [PC]*
Million Club 2+ [PC]*
User avatar

Joined: Thu Sep 07, 2006 5:55 pm
Posts: 7911
Yuri, your experience isn't limited to Nix peeps. Many Windows people, like myself, have become so fed up with FF crashing, hanging, hogging resources and most frustratingly, their now apparent lack of quality control for add-ons, that I've switched to Chrome almost exclusively.

Firefox, in its mad scramble to steal more market share from IE, has become a buggy, bordering on bloated, system resource hogging contraption that was once king of the road, but is now coasting to the side. It will soon be time to call the tow truck on it.

FireFox has forgotten why we loved it in the first place. Sad really. But now a days, I get an update to FF that borks my extensions which in turn, screws up Firefox completely.

When you provide a product with HUGE emphasis on extensions, so people like me have 30+ they like to use, then you update the damned core and break two extensions compatibility, it doesn't take long before you get sick and tired of trying to figure out which one did it and you are sick and tired of downloading extensions you have to wait on to catch up to the new version of FF.

I said screw it. I'd rather have the speed of Chrome and give up some add-ons I've loved than get pissed off.


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 11:11 am 
Team Member
Team Member
User avatar

Joined: Fri Apr 28, 2006 7:52 pm
Posts: 3189
logicmaster2003 wrote:
oh Hi "that linux guy",

I have about 48 link on my speed dial on Opera. My question was for Google Chrome - how to edit and make its speed-dial to a particular set of links. From what I see, Google Chrome doesn't let you edit speed-dial, it just automatically put "most common used".

if you guys knows any hack, lemme know :)

You can pin the ones you want. There's a button for it when you hover your mouse over the thumbnail.
Quakindude wrote:
Yuri, your experience isn't limited to Nix peeps. Many Windows people, like myself, have become so fed up with FF crashing, hanging, hogging resources and most frustratingly, their now apparent lack of quality control for add-ons, that I've switched to Chrome almost exclusively.

Firefox, in its mad scramble to steal more market share from IE, has become a buggy, bordering on bloated, system resource hogging contraption that was once king of the road, but is now coasting to the side. It will soon be time to call the tow truck on it.

FireFox has forgotten why we loved it in the first place. Sad really. But now a days, I get an update to FF that borks my extensions which in turn, screws up Firefox completely.

When you provide a product with HUGE emphasis on extensions, so people like me have 30+ they like to use, then you update the damned core and break two extensions compatibility, it doesn't take long before you get sick and tired of trying to figure out which one did it and you are sick and tired of downloading extensions you have to wait on to catch up to the new version of FF.

I said screw it. I'd rather have the speed of Chrome and give up some add-ons I've loved than get pissed off.

That pretty much sums it up.

Chrome actually has almost everything the extensions were originally intended for anyways. I think extensions was Mozilla's way of garnering new ideas from the community, and every browser copied the people's ideas after them.


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 3:23 pm 
TravBv2.0
TravBv2.0
User avatar

Joined: Sat Mar 08, 2008 11:35 am
Posts: 3898
Location: In the server room
Chrome is pissing me off now, but I'm not sure it's Chrome to blame. Chrome won't work when Opera, IE and Firefox all work fine. I can open Chrome just fine, but ever since reinstalling, it won't access any web pages.

It's alright. I've been looking to ditch XP Pro for 7 anyways.

Chrome is still running fine in Debian though. Stupid desire for PC gaming isn't worth keeping 2 OSs around sometimes. :? :evil:


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 4:45 pm 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jun 16, 2004 5:29 pm
Posts: 6328
Location: Far away from you
Quakindude wrote:
FireFox has forgotten why we loved it in the first place.


IMO, it's no coincidence that Firefox is walking the same path as Netscape at this point in time.

At some point, they'll need to punt the breaks on things to fix what's broken, be it their software or image.


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 6:50 am 
Thunderbird
Thunderbird
User avatar

Joined: Tue Nov 08, 2005 8:30 pm
Posts: 771
Location: Cliffside Park NJ
yuri,

thanks 4 the lil tip on how to "pin" on Chrome (I'll try that when I get home later this week).

Yea I was once a fan of FF until Opera 10.0 came out; Now I've been very happy with Opera 10.10 (i just love the GUI and interface). But now I'm gonna start using Chrome more often.

About FF, the only thing I really really like about it nowadays are:
* FoxyProxy
* Start/Stop Private Browsing
* Adblock

so I'm just wondering if theres add-ons like the above for Chrome ?


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 9:13 am 
Java Junkie
Java Junkie
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jun 14, 2004 10:23 am
Posts: 24222
Location: Granite Heaven
that Linux guy wrote:
Chrome is pissing me off now, but I'm not sure it's Chrome to blame. Chrome won't work when Opera, IE and Firefox all work fine. I can open Chrome just fine, but ever since reinstalling, it won't access any web pages.

It's alright. I've been looking to ditch XP Pro for 7 anyways.

Chrome is still running fine in Debian though. Stupid desire for PC gaming isn't worth keeping 2 OSs around sometimes. :? :evil:


Buy a console, ditch the 'PC' gaming experience, and you won't have to dual-boot. ;)

Seriously, it takes a little while getting used to it but in the end, it is worth it.

I didn't look back .. well, until I needed to use Windows for work. Blech. Ah well. C'est la vie. At least the software is paid for this time. ;)


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 2:25 pm 
Team Member
Team Member
User avatar

Joined: Fri Apr 28, 2006 7:52 pm
Posts: 3189
logicmaster2003 wrote:
* Start/Stop Private Browsing

Who needs an addon when it's built into the browser?


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 6:10 pm 
Northwood
Northwood
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jul 15, 2007 6:37 pm
Posts: 2261
Location: No. 1 Thread Killer
Chrome is kickin' FF on Windowz. For now, it seems that FF will be my main in my 'nix builds.


Top
  Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC - 8 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group