Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 6:09 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Pay for poor config, service, performance: CyberPowerPC Exp
PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 11:14 pm 

This is a story of frustration of my latest PC, which I decided to get build through CyberPower rather than building it myself to save time, and ordered a 2K+ i7 860, 8GB Ram, 5850 graphics... gig

Other than my having to call multiple times to find out about the continous back order of parts (downgraded to 5770, upgraded MoBo, PowerSupply), and waiting for OC stabilization, I finally got my gear.

Lets not get into not having gotten all CDs (I have gotten OEMs before, missing is still missing), but check out my "performance scores"
- PCMark: 5702 (benchmark number is 12086)
- 3DMark: 7531 overall, 5406 CPU, 8666 graphics
because the engineers had configured the CPU to use only 1 core instead of all... *sigh* Easy enough, updated in Bios (tech support not answering call or emails) and ran it again

With all four cores, latest graphcis drivers, and vendor provided 30% OC, still no luck with the performanc. Benchmarks aren't even close. No email or phone responses after two weeks of messaging. Finally started the countdown in VMs that I was going to challenge the charge with my CC company. Ironically, 35 minutes after I filed a dispute, two weeks into this troubled ownership, I got a tech support call.

At this stage, my machines unmodified by me OC had also given up stability, rebooting itself multiple times, and essentially making the entire "save time by ordering from a custom shop" exercise worthless.

CyberPower did offer me to ship it back so they can look at the problem but at the end " we would not be able to provide is any absolute guarantee as to its relative performance due to the various factors in play. " when I asked if they can make sure whenever they were done with the repair work, the machine would be on par against non-OC'd benchmarks since it was supposed to be a 30% OC'd machine.

I am so disappointed in CyberPower, a well known company in this space. Two weeks of no customer service response, poor updates on order status, and at the end I am responsible for shipping to and from my address for a machine that was not properly configured in so many ways.

I certainly hope this was a one off case, though CyberPower could have done the customer oriented thing and if they couldn't live up to benchmarks with essentially all of the higher end components from the catalogue, offer to split shipping fees. I shared with them, and I keep my promise here today, I will make a point of sharing with my many gamer friends and forums about this frustrating experience to make sure others don't get burnt the same way (PS: have PC/3DMark, CPU-Z reports to back up all the above. I am now considering higher end shops like DigitalStorm or just building my own again)