Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Thu Dec 25, 2014 1:30 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Linksys Software
PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 9:53 am 
Willamette
Willamette

Linksys makes some of the best networking products that I have ever seen or owned. Their technical support is stellar as well. But their software leaves a lot to be desired. I currently have a WRT54G router that works very well, but the Linksys Easylink Advisor software that came with it (although it originally made for a very easy setup of the router,) seems to have issues and cannot detect an internet connection, even when I am connected to the Internet and able to surf, etc. I also have a Linksys WUSB300N Wireless-N USB Network Adapter that works extremely well with my dual-boot (Vista Ultimate 64-bit OS/Windows 7 Ultimate RC 64-bit OS) system, thanks to the included note that came with the warning to not use the included driver CD if you were installing the adapter on any Vista OS, but referred you to their support site for the downloadable driver instead. However, anytime I have tried to use the installation CD on any Windows XP system (which Linksys always advises the user to do before connecting any of their hardware or cables), it installs some bloated software (along with the driver) that seems to randomly interrupt the wireless connection to my router. And just the other day I received a Linksys WPSM54G Wireless G PrintServer and tried to use the included software CD to get it set up yesterday, but the damned stuff can't even detect its own hardware after following the instructions for setting up the hardware. I ended up using their support site's Live Chat feature (and got a very knowledgeable and helpful tech support rep) to manually configure everything and got it working. Linksys might just as well not even bother shipping CDs with their hardware anymore. However, I still love their hardware and their support and will continue to do business with them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 10:05 am 
Million Club - 2 Plus
Million Club - 2 Plus

No one technical uses the software that comes with Linksys hardware. Really the only thing that you do need from them is the drivers on the CD. (Routers don't need drivers). Once you get the drivers then your pretty much all set as you would just configure them yourself. But I am glad to see that technical support works and you have everything in order.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 10:34 am 
Willamette
Willamette

While "no one technical" might use the software that comes with Linksys' products, I still try to follow the manufacturer's instructions (just in case I might be missing something that needs to be done) and I encourage non-technical users to do the same. A little over two years ago, my stepmom purchased a similar Linksys router (which I recommended), but she made the mistake of overestimating her "technical abilities" (she really has none at all) and whined to me about not being able to get it set up. When I tried to help her over the phone, she had not followed any of the manufacturer's instructions nor had she even tried to run the CD first. She ended up having her ISP come out and perform a tech install for about thirty or forty bucks. How stupid!

Please note that I used the Linksys CD during the original setup of my router. I am able to manually access its firmware page and configure it myself without the Easylink Advisor software since then. The installation of the wireless print server was also a first for me as I have never dealt with this particular piece of hardware before, and that is why I used the included CD. However, instead of paying someone to come out and install it for me, I contacted someone at Linksys' support site and expanded my own technical knowledge in the process.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 11:56 am 
Million Club - 5 Plus
Million Club - 5 Plus

I have tried using Linksys CDs for two different routers and a PCI wireless-G network card. The router software wouldn't even install, never mind run, and the card software prevented the PC from even booting; I had to remove it in Safe Mode. I'm lucky; I figured out how to install basic drivers and enter all the info needed to get these items to run by reading the Owner's Manual .pdf files. I feel bad for everyday users who need these things and can't get them to run because of these crappy CDs.

Just imagine if Linksys actually made install software as good as their hardware.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 12:19 pm 
Million Club - 2 Plus
Million Club - 2 Plus

OvenMaster wrote:
I have tried using Linksys CDs for two different routers and a PCI wireless-G network card. The router software wouldn't even install, never mind run, and the card software prevented the PC from even booting; I had to remove it in Safe Mode. I'm lucky; I figured out how to install basic drivers and enter all the info needed to get these items to run by reading the Owner's Manual .pdf files. I feel bad for everyday users who need these things and can't get them to run because of these crappy CDs.

Just imagine if Linksys actually made install software as good as their hardware.

I agree with this.^^

On another note, Linksys acquired Pure Network's Network Magic, and to be blunt its a ton better than the crap they put on the CD's. I mean they could put this app on a mini-CD and included it, there would be many more satisfied users.

Post subject: I love Network Magic
PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 4:55 am 
Little Foot
Little Foot

Network Magic makes every install simple, and my only complaint is it's only TRIALWARE! True it does get you up and running, BUT I figured it should be a FULL free version as it is included in the box. After the trial expired I had to get off my lazy rear end and MANUALLY configure my network. I liked the NM easy route. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 9:35 am 
Million Club - 2 Plus
Million Club - 2 Plus

***Mike_Holli please don't reply to threads over 30 days old. Also, since its a Linksys router, its not trialware, instead its the basic version of the software.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 12:01 pm 
Million Club 2+ [PC]*
Million Club 2+ [PC]*

Airheadq wrote:
***Mike_Holli please don't reply to threads over 30 days old. Also, since its a Linksys router, its not trialware, instead its the basic version of the software.

Airhead....don't memberate as per #13 of our forums rules.

Mike, since your reply pertains directly to the topic, you're fine. Just try not to make a habit of it. :wink: