Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 12:03 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Am I missing something...
PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 6:52 am 
Coppermine
Coppermine

So I was looking at entry level positions in the Charlotte Area on career builder.

and I stumbled upon this. If you dont want to read the following paragraphs Ill sum it up, they want you to have A+ cert, network certs, help desk cert, ITIL Foundation certifications strongly perferred,
Remedy Service Desk experience, 5 years experience and a bachelors degree in computer science.

Am I missing something? All that for a entry level HELP DESK position?

It seems to me that that they are either trying to get something for nothing or they have no clue what position they are trying to fill.

Id honestly like to speak to the person who wrote the ad.

"We are currently looking for an energetic, motivated, and qualified individual to perform telephone and Tier I and II desktop support to users. Log and prioritize calls, track technician, and provide reports as required regarding compliance with Service Level Agreements (SLAs). Strong customer service and communication skills are necessary. Maintain files as required by the vendor of custom design application. Analyze, evaluate and test software and hardware problems. Perform installation, planning and security of computer facilities. Responsible for restoring systems configuration. Prepare activity and progress reports regarding support activities. Respond, investigate, and correct problems. Acts as a technical resource for all users. Organize appropriate training.). Install, troubleshoot, support and configuration of microcomputer hardware and software systems, to include servers. Also performs same functions for peripheral devices such as modems, scanners, printers, and fax devices. Provide troubleshooting diagnosis, and repair for microcomputer devices. Installing hardware and software application on a myriad of computer devices.

The qualified candidate will have at least 5 years experience working with system administration and PC hardware and software management, and/or IT Help Desk Operation. Candidate must also posses an A+, Network, and/or Help Desk Institute (HDI) Certification desired. Formal technical computer training in Microsoft Applications and Information Systems, with Router, Network Switches and Server experience. Experience with hardware and software application maintenance, troubleshooting and computer systems customer service operations. Must have knowledge of PC operating systems such as Windows NT, XP and Vista, Remedy and network and email standards.
Requirements
The following skills are also required:

Strong communication skills (both written and oral) and good interpersonal skills
Strong analytical and creative problem solving capabilities
Strong customer service orientation
Strong process development skills
Change management measurement and reporting processes
Availability management creation, measurement, and reporting processes
Service level management creation, measurement, and reporting processes
Incident and problem management creation, measurement and reporting processes
Windows operating systems and Office Suite experience
ITIL Foundation certifications strongly preferred
Remedy Service Desk experience is a plus

A bachelor’s degree in computer science or communications technology and formal technical computer and Help Desk services training."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 11:06 am 
Willamette
Willamette

Probably an HR guy that doesn't understand the position. I remember way back when, I saw a job that required 5 years experience in VB6 (and VB6 had just come out).

In this particular case, it looks like the job description is really targetting the level 2, and not the level 1 position. That's a lot of stuff for an entry level job.

However, something else to remember. The economy's in the tank and there are a ton of people out there hungry for a job that are probably overqualified for this position. It could be that the company's just looking for some experienced people that they can give shit hours for cheap.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 11:26 am 
Java Junkie
Java Junkie

Think of the employment process as a negotiation. Those are the things that they want .. you have to counter with what you have.

If they can find someone with those qualifications who is willing to do that job, either they are paying an astronomical amount or they are going to keep the person for about 6 months until they find better work.

They are asking for someone who is vastly overqualified .. because of the degree. If you remove the degree from the equation, then they are looking for an experience help desk tech. That's it.

In the end, I bet they'll hire someone with most of those quals (probably not ITIL, since it is still pretty rare in the US and not the degree).

If they hire someone with a degree and those quals, they are hiring damaged goods. There has to be a reason that someone with a CS degree has 5 years of help desk experience .. that the reason won't be a good one.