Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Thu Aug 21, 2014 4:39 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Need Special Paint or Standard Paint?
PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 9:34 am 
Thunderbird
Thunderbird

I own a Silver Stone Rave RV02 and love it, but I'm planning on painting the 120mm Fan Grills & a few PCI Vented Slot Covers and a few Thumb Screws Flat Black to match the Raven.

Do I need a special Spray Paint for the Grills/PCI Vented Slot or can I use a standard Flat Black Paint like the type's sold at a Home Improvement Store?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 11:26 am 
Million Club [PC]
Million Club [PC]

nope, Krylon will work great. For metal, it's a good idea you use primer where possible, it'll make it much more resistant to scratches.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 11:30 am 
SON OF A GUN
SON OF A GUN

Depending on what the part is, I would scuff it up with a wire brush / green scratch / sos pad. Obviously if you have small details you don't want to mess it up too much but it will help with primer adhesion and then paint adhesion.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 11:53 am 
Thunderbird
Thunderbird

Spartacus wrote:
nope, Krylon will work great. For metal, it's a good idea you use primer where possible, it'll make it much more resistant to scratches.

I ain't to worried about it being scratch resistant. You cant really see the items I'm going to paint due to the fact there is a Black Plastic cover on top the where the Cables come out at for Video,PSU etc. I was either thinking of getting Black Fan Guards, Screws and PCI Vented Slot Covers vs Painting but seems them Vent Slot Covers are rough to find in Black.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 12:32 pm 
SON OF A GUN
SON OF A GUN

Even if you should still prep what you are painting properly or don't even bother doing it.

Make sure it is clean. You have sanded / scuffed up the surface and applied primer. Then paint. Clear coat is not required but always a good idea.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 10:54 am 
Thunderbird
Thunderbird

CrashTECH wrote:
Even if you should still prep what you are painting properly or don't even bother doing it.

Make sure it is clean. You have sanded / scuffed up the surface and applied primer. Then paint. Clear coat is not required but always a good idea.

I'll keep it in mind, have found already a pre-made PCI Vent slot cover that's black already, but I may end up trying to paint my own, never did paint a Case or Accessories yet. Ended up painting the PCI Vent Slot Covers, Fan Screws and also the 120mm fan grill looks very good cant wait till it dry's.