Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 12:32 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Trying to Learn for New Build using Ubuntu amd64 Alt. Instal
PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 10:35 am 

I am planning out my first build and want to use a Gigabyte GA-MA790GPT-UD3H mobo http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Products/Mot ... 90GPT-UD3H
and 2x500GB Samsung F1's http://www.samsung.com/global/business/ ... &ppmi=1162
in a Software RAID 1 Configuration following instructions from: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Insta ... ftwareRAID
I know that I will have to update the Linux Drivers for the AMD790GX/SB750 but as far as I can tell that has to be done after the OS and other packages are installed per AMD Catalyst info: Minimum System Requirements Before attempting to install the ATI Proprietary Linux driver, the following software must be installed:
XOrg 6.8, 6.9, 7.0, 7.1, 7.2, 7.3 or 7.4
Linux kernel 2.6 or above
glibc version 2.2 or 2.3
POSIX Shared Memory (/dev/shm) support is required for 3D applications
ATI CatalystTM Linux Installer Note
System Recommendations
For best performance and ease of use, ATI recommends the following:
Kernel module build environment
o Kernel source code include either the Kernel Source or Kernel Headers packages
The RPM utility should be installed and configured correctly on your system, if you intend to install via RPM packages
The following packages must be installed in order for the CatalystTM Linux driver to
install and work properly:
XFree86-Mesa-libGL libstdc++ libgcc XFree86-libs fontconfig freetype zlib gcc

I think that if I leave the SATA Controller in the BIOS at Native IDE that Ubuntu{Linux} will install and set up the Array of a Software RAID 1 and then after using the Update Mgr. I can Proceed with the Driver Updates when everything is in place.

This being my first build and my first adventure into RAID I could use some expert eyes and thoughts on this plan. Does anyone have experience with Linux Software RAID 1; if so is it stable?

The 'broken English' replies from Gigabyte are really of no help because they say I need to install the SB750 Linux drivers and set RAID 1 in BIOS which is the firmware RAID on the mobo; and the only way to do that is to use the Q-Flash option at POST then I will have AMD Linux Drivers before the OS and required software are available.

I could use some help here. I am pretty sure that Ubuntu 9.10 has the needed drivers to install because it did so just fine on my current Compaq 2001 vintage OEM system which is only a dual boot not a RAID. I installed a new HDD and now work in Ubuntu 9.10 everyday even though I can choose to boot to the original Windows XP drive from the GRUB menu at start-up.

I plan to use a Phenom II X3 720 BE and at least 4 GB DDR3. Thank you for taking the time to review and comment. 8) [/i]

Last edited by polartrouble on Fri Nov 20, 2009 11:56 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 11:08 am 
Java Junkie
Java Junkie

WTF?

I am not going to try to read that big block of text.

i) chop it into paragraphs so it is legible.
ii) where are the actual questions?
iii) ubuntu installs on modern hardware by dropping the disc in the drive and following the instructions. have you tried that?

I'm seeing some questions about software RAID and some questions about your onboard RAID controller and BIOS settings. Which is it? Software or hardware?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 11:26 am 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000

ack! my head hurts!

From what I can decipher my only advice is, quit thinking so on hard things. WTF is this linux driver nonsense.

Post subject: Sorry About that
PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 11:52 am 

I did not want to provide to little info and guess I popped out too much.
OK, Gigabyte says no Linux Drivers on the Board so that is where the updating of drivers comes from. Cannot use the on-board RAID without driver per Gigi!!

I am working in Ubuntu so yes I know how to install the basic guided set up and have a dual boot 2 drive system. Not sure why you did not read that above.

I want to build my new system with 2 HDD's in RAID 1 using Linux {Ubuntu} Software RAID 1 capability.

The link to Ubuntu is the guide I will follow to use the Alt. Install amd64 ISO burn and set up the Array.

I am looking for help/ideas about doing this. Sorry about the headache stuff happens don't ya know :roll:

Could also use input from those who have used Software RAID 1 in Linux :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 3:29 pm 
Java Junkie
Java Junkie

Ok, that is a bit clearer.

You have a gigabyte motherboard: GA-MA790GPT-UD3H
It has an AMD southbridge that controls RAID functions, including RAID 1. It is an AMD SB750.

Gigabyte doesn't offer linux drivers for the southbridge, so you're wondering how you can go about using two drives in a RAID 1 setup. You've jumped ahead to wanting to use software RAID. Not necessary. Gigabyte doesn't support linux, but AMD does.

If you download the alternate Ubuntu install CD here, you'll be able to get it up and running.

The alternate install allows you to configure your OS before booting into it .. which is necessary if you'll be booting from the RAID array. If, on the other hand, you're booting from a different source, you can use just about any current linux distro. The drivers for the SB750 southbridge are available to all linux distros.

Post subject: The reason I want to use Software RAID1 via Linux
PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 9:04 am 

The reason I prefer to use the software RAID native to Linux is that by making both drives 'bootable' via GRUB I can always cold swap a drive into another system and access the information [of course that system would have to have same/similar BIOS settings] in the future.

I really do appreciate your input though.

I will be using the ALt. Install CD because it is needed to configure the mdadm native Linux software RAID 1.

See: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Insta ... ftwareRAID
8) :D

Post subject: Re: The reason I want to use Software RAID1 via Linux
PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 9:50 am 
Java Junkie
Java Junkie

polartrouble wrote:
The reason I prefer to use the software RAID native to Linux is that by making both drives 'bootable' via GRUB I can always cold swap a drive into another system and access the information [of course that system would have to have same/similar BIOS settings] in the future.

Then why did you mention the hardware at all? If you're doing software RAID, the hardware isn't relevant. All you had to ask was "how do I enable software RAID."

Also, I wouldn't bet on being able to swap a drive into another system even if it has an identical configuration.

Post subject: Newbee kinda thing
PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 10:21 am 

I now see what you mean, I'm on a learning curve and I imagine not the only newbee to ask what-if instead of how-to. Thanks for your patience though. I got all twisted around in my thinking with the broken English from Gigabyte's tech support and the fact that they did not understand 'software RAID' They just saw the word Linux and started with the 'canned' replies don't ya know :)

If the drives are configured to boot so they both boot in the 'virtual' software RAID then why would it not be possible to 'cold' swap them???

I would think another system running the same Linux distro and kernel would be able to add the drive via the use of Super GRUB Disc but I may be wrong.

Post subject: Re: Newbee kinda thing
PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 11:38 am 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000

polartrouble wrote:
If the drives are configured to boot so they both boot in the 'virtual' software RAID then why would it not be possible to 'cold' swap them???

I guess in theory it'd work since it's all software raid in any sense (and probably running dmraid to boot)...in application, I'm not so confident.

I've never taken a bootable raid drive and tried to hook it up on another system just to read info off of it. You'd probably have better luck using a livecd and just mounting the drive from there after getting everything loaed.