Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 12:33 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Gigabyte's Memory Support QVL for AMD/AM3 mobos
PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 2:33 pm 
Willamette
Willamette

So I went with the AM3 architecture, and with the 790GX Chipset to go "Spider." However, it seems like they make perhaps the best bang for the buck motherboards so far for the new architecture, gave their motherboard a 5-egg rating on Newegg, well...4-egg, wanna know why? THEIR MEM SUPPORT QVL SUX! I wanted to find out what DDR3-1600 modules they would support, or DDR3 in general. However, it seems like their list is either too outdated, or they had a bias towards triple-channel. I mean, come on Gigabyte! It's a DUAL-CHANNEL architecture you're dealing with here...stop listing memory modules meant for an x58/i7 920 architecture! I fell for their listing, and wound up with a 6GB pack from Patriot, which I later had to add a separate module from Mushkin, same frequency, but different latency. Come on, if you're gonna support RAM for an AM3 motherboard, at least support memory geared more towards a dual-channel board, which AMD *will* support. Jeez. Anyone been a victim of the "follow the QVL" routine from this motherboard manufacturer?

I spent countless hours hoping I could find an AMD/Dual-Channel counterpart to that memory pack, with hardly any luck. I mean, the RAM I have works, and I better hope this rant will get GB to change their practice of testing memory for their motherboards. It's not an X58 or Intel board, it's a 790GX/AM3 motherboard, support the right RAM for it!

EDIT: All right, for those of you who wonder about an example of what I'm talking about...here's the motherboard I got:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... te%20790gx

I went to Gigabyte's website, and looked through their QVL, looked up the model number for DDR3-1600 RAM that I wanted, http://www.gigabyte-usa.com/FileList/Me ... t-ud3h.pdf and I punched in the model number for Patriot RAM, considering that they were probably one of the best bangs for the buck, that would be model #PVT36G1600LLK, plugged that number into the Search tab on Newegg's website, and THIS was the RAM that came up: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 36G1600LLK

Nice going, Gigabyte. I'll never trust your QVL ever again, if you can't recommend RAM that will work with AM3 and/or be dual-channel, I'm going back to ASUS. At least THEY know how to list RAM that will work. Of course, since they complain about the fact that there's a massive market of RAM out there, maybe they didn't write this list at the time that dual-channel sets of DDR3 RAM existed yet, could this be true?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 11:56 pm 
Team Member Top 10
Team Member Top 10

QVLs are sad jokes. You shouldn't be relying on them when you're in the market for RAM.

http://www.maximumpc.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=96398

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 1:19 am 
Million Club 2+ [PC]*
Million Club 2+ [PC]*

I have never, ever used a QVL from a mobo manufacturer to make a decision when purchasing RAM. I just look to see what speeds and voltages the mobo supports, then I buy, in this order of preference, Corsair, Crucial, OCZ, G.SKILL, Patriot, Geil, Mushkin or, if it's an el cheapo build I won't overclock, PQI or AData. The others I've had problems with and won't buy from them again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 2:08 am 
Willamette
Willamette

I'm sorry but I'm missing something here.

I was under the impression that DDR3 was DDR3 whether plugged into a dual channel or triple channel board. That the determining factor was how you plugged your sticks into what slots, the cpu, memory controller and board would then run it as programmed.

I'm pretty sure I have seen it recommended to at least one person that bought a 3 stick triple channel kit by mistake for a dual channel board to just use 2 of them as prescribed in the board man and keep the other as a spare.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 4:29 am 
Team Member Top 10
Team Member Top 10

You're not missing anything tugboat_2. This is classic Newegg review BS. The OP is pissed because he mess up bigtime when he purchased the memory. I'll leave AMD alone :D

Newegg has it all spelled out for us. They even provide pictures. Common sense is all I need here. I would have been ashamed of myself for doing such a thing. I would have found a 4th stick or sent it straight back to Newegg. There's nothing wrong with an honest mistake.

GIGABYTE has them labeld per stick (2GB) on the QVL. I guess that's why this funny looking disclaimer is there.

Sure, GIGABYTE leaves something to be desired. The others leave just as much, if not more to be desired. QVLs are sad jokes. The rated timing, voltage, frequency, and heat spreader system that everyone buys into is another. I guess thats how they make money and like doing business. It's nothing new and probably isn't going to change anytime soon.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 6:44 pm 
Willamette
Willamette

That's all right, I picked up a Mushkin 2GB module, and it's being seen as 8GB DDR3-1600, albeit mixed RAM, but still dual-channel, perhaps. The timings and latency may be different, but 1600MHz is not all that half bad for an AMD system, the RAM's almost about as fast as their HT1.0 was, if I'm not mistaken.