Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Mon Sep 15, 2014 8:31 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Linksys\Cisco N160 series = Garbage.
PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 10:21 pm 

The title says it all. I need someone to please please explain this to me. You can use small kid words too, because I think I am too dumb to understand why Linksys has gone and released this...

From the research I have done (google, newegg reviews, the old people who sit down at the corner store). The linksys N150 series had some issues, dropping wirless, dns issues etc. THEN they had the N160 series. The V1 of this model was a 50/50% shot of working. But the V2 was total and horrid garbage. However, rather than linksys releasing a proper firmware upgrade, they released a V3! And you know what...wait for it...IT SUCKS! Wireless wont even work properly while sitting next to it! Why on earth would you release a V3, if the V2 does not even work right??? Users with the N160 V1's get off lucky since they can flash to dd-wrt, V2 is still W.i.P, and V3 is S.O.L for now. Please explain to me how in gods name a 3rd party firmware which is free\ made by volunteers can be 100% more stable than the one made by a company with cisco $$$ backing it?? ( I am so confused by all this that it makes me sad). Now, I am sure some of you genuine brainiacs on here understand all this, and can clearly see why they would continue to push out more revisions of garbage, and I please hope you take the time to enlighten me, so I can finally sleep soundly at night, I feel like I am missing something very obvious and everyone is laughing behind my back b\c of it.

P.S - Sorry, I don't need help with fixing or configuring this wireless router because there is not way to do so, aside from waiting until dd-wrt has support for this version. Furthermore, I did not have to buy the router, I got it for free (which in itself foreshadowed), and for the record it was still in the shrink wrap. So, moral of the story, if you know some one who is planning on buying this, tell them they are better off with the cheapest Belkin from Walmart, unless of course you hate them, in which case by all means please please please do recommend it to them.

Thanks,
M.Jay

Post subject: Re: Linksys\Cisco N160 series = Garbage.
PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 5:47 am 
Million Club [PC]
Million Club [PC]

digitalvibe wrote:
I think I am too dumb to understand why Linksys has gone and released this...

To make money.
Glad I could help.

Post subject: Re: Linksys\Cisco N160 series = Garbage.
PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 6:06 am 

Spartacus wrote:
digitalvibe wrote:
I think I am too dumb to understand why Linksys has gone and released this...

To make money.
Glad I could help.

Like I said...glaringly obvious answer. And here I was looking for a deeper meaning. I wonder if I can donate this to the open wrt project or something.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 7:46 am 
Million Club [PC]
Million Club [PC]

no I'm not dumb, I was just poking fun at something you said. As for the third-party firmware being better, it's because the people who coded the firmware at cisco do it because they get a paycheck. they don't give a damn about how elegant it is as long as it works. The people who code third-party firmware do it because they care about the code and making the device work better. So you're saying you got the router, it didn't work well, and then you looked an google, saw it was a common issue, and simply gave up?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 8:06 am 

Woah woah Spartacus, slow down bro. No one here called you dumb (being that it's just you and me on this thread so far, I didn't call you dumb, I just quoted your response in mine). I guess I just don't quite get why a company would not bother to release a firmware fix. But it is not like this is their only product, so no pressure on them. As for the me giving up at this stage, I would be wasting time to do any further research\troubleshooting into it.

1) They do not have any more recent firmware
2) There is no downgrade option available to a more stable version.
3) There is no aftermarket firmware support for this model as of yet.
4) No matter how much tweaking you do with the config (and trust me the options are barebone at most), there is nothing that works.

I even went directly to the linksys boards to find out if people had found a fix or workaround or something, or maybe to find that mine was jsut a lone bad egg. What I found was that there were a fair number of users with this issue. which has spanned the entire n160 line, and there were no fixes and or workarounds. In fact if someone posted a complaint about the device and listed their issues with it, they actually got edited by the mods and were given a warning and told to keep the commentary about the products positive. (At this point I gave up). Furthermore if you call their support line, they charge you for the support, and still don't have a fix or a place you can download proper working code from.

At any rate, I really should stop wasting peoples time, including yours with posts like this. Not like it will accomplish much, although I do feel better. Thanks for responding. And at least now you know to stay away from this model for a good while.
:)