Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Fri Aug 22, 2014 6:47 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Thinking about mailing in a payment to an online retailer?
PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 1:59 pm 

I recently made a purchase on Newegg's website anhd instead of using my card I sent them a personal check. It was wrapped in the printed order form, and the order number was clearly printed on the check.

5 days later I called and they said they had no record of my check ever arriving. If I wanted to keep the current price of my items I would have to change the method of payment. So I had the order taker bill it to my Visa check card linked to the same account... AND tld them not to deposit the check if they came accross it, as it would now cause an overdraft.

Well, I received notification from my bank. The check was deposited on Monday. I'm not done tallying up the list of overdrafts incurred but it will be in the hundreds of dollars. I've already filed a BBB complaint against Newegg in this matter, plan to send copies of all the overdraft charges and the emails from his staff that stated they never received my check, as well as a copy of the cleared check. If this doesn't get me anywhere I will take them to small claims court.

I've spent $8000 on their site since 2005. Looks like I'll take my business elsewhere from now on. As for mail-in payments, if I can't pay by card, I'll do without.

Chris Harty

Post subject: Re: Thinking about mailing in a payment to an online retaile
PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 2:16 pm 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000

Aymincendiary wrote:
I recently made a purchase on Newegg's website anhd instead of using my card I sent them a personal check. It was wrapped in the printed order form, and the order number was clearly printed on the check.

5 days later I called and they said they had no record of my check ever arriving. If I wanted to keep the current price of my items I would have to change the method of payment. So I had the order taker bill it to my Visa check card linked to the same account... AND tld them not to deposit the check if they came accross it, as it would now cause an overdraft.

Well, I received notification from my bank. The check was deposited on Monday. I'm not done tallying up the list of overdrafts incurred but it will be in the hundreds of dollars. I've already filed a BBB complaint against Newegg in this matter, plan to send copies of all the overdraft charges and the emails from his staff that stated they never received my check, as well as a copy of the cleared check. If this doesn't get me anywhere I will take them to small claims court.

I've spent $8000 on their site since 2005. Looks like I'll take my business elsewhere from now on. As for mail-in payments, if I can't pay by card, I'll do without.

Chris Harty

After you take care of the payment issue with Newegg, you may want to find a new bank. One bounced check should never tally up "...hundreds of dollars..." in overdraft charges.
As for that last line, you could always have paid by card -- "As for mail-in payments, if I can't pay by card, I'll do without."

Last edited by Edward6287 on Wed Oct 07, 2009 2:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 2:17 pm 
Million Club - 5 Plus
Million Club - 5 Plus

why didnt you just put a stop payment on the check?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 6:29 am 
Team Member
Team Member

Wow, I havn't used a check in YEARS!

Edward6287 wrote:
One bounced check should never tally up "...hundreds of dollars..." in overdraft charges.

One bounced check tends to lead to another and another. It's a Domino effect.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 6:43 am 
Java Junkie
Java Junkie

CharBroiled wrote:
why didnt you just put a stop payment on the check?

This. Your account .. your responsibility.

I'd also change banks. One overdrafted cheque should result in one overdraft charge. Hundreds of dollars in fees from one cheque is ridiculous.

Finally, 5 days for the cheque to leave your hands, make its way through the USPS, to their desk, through their mail-room and into the hands of an accountant ... this is not a reasonable time-frame. There is a reason we've all switched to online payment ... the regular mail takes a LONG time.

I'm also assuming that you meant 'business days' .... if there was a weekend involved in there, please assume more mockery and derision.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 7:53 am 
Million Club - 5 Plus
Million Club - 5 Plus

Weird. I've sent only postal money orders to Newegg and have never had a problem. A couple of times, the M.O. had not yet arrived within Newegg's one week time limit, so I sent an email to customer service warning them of the delay, and they always gave me a one week extension.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 10:20 am 
Million Club - 20 Plus
Million Club - 20 Plus

Jipstyle wrote:
, please assume more mockery and derision.

I so want to!!!!
But I'm not gonna.
Errors made on both sides.
And sounds like a bad bank that I would leave. (I've done that before for unreasonable fees/charges.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 6:23 pm 
Million Club [PC]*
Million Club [PC]*

Quote:
As for mail-in payments, if I can't pay by card, I'll do without.
Which leads to the most obvious question here:
Why didn't you pay by card in the first place? :roll:

All due respect, but, your problem (rant) isn't going to stop anyone here from buying from the Egg. Many of us (myself included) have been using them for a very long time, and generally have nothing but good to say about them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 7:01 am 
Million Club - 10 Plus
Million Club - 10 Plus

dedgar wrote:
Jipstyle wrote:
, please assume more mockery and derision.

I so want to!!!!
But I'm not gonna.
Errors made on both sides.
And sounds like a bad bank that I would leave. (I've done that before for unreasonable fees/charges.)

honestly IMO this is BS. i have heard of a few mixups about newegg but nothing of this size. i think this is just a person slamming newegg just to get attention.

and if this is for real, there is no way you should be spending money like that if you know you are likely to have an overdraft. especially with fees included it shouldnt be in the hundreds of dollars. and if that does occur you can call the bank and have them put a hold on the account so no more fees stack up. i have done it before, not with a check. i never use them, because i dont know where my money is at once the charge happens.

so yah im calling you out on bullshit. (there i did it) id like to see at least one response to this and all the other posts that people have made. you cant just come in here and bitch about something, have all these people spend there time to help and not even respond to say thanks or at least fuck off.

sorry about this im having a crap day. and felt the need to respond to this.

i just find it hard to believe that this person is for real. :shock:

and just for the record i have spent at least 10k on the egg and have had one mixup, the wrong thing came to me. i absolutely love newegg, and will continue my online transactions (with either my debit card or paypal) never a check.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 7:48 am 
Million Club [PC]
Million Club [PC]

agreed. Why would you buy a luxury that costs more then half of what you have in your checking account?
as for newegg, yeah, they're wonderful. I've bought roughly 6K of stuff off them, and I've also had one error from them- they sold me a 300W SeaSonic PSU that was actually out of stock. but that's where the wonderful service ensued. After a couple emails, they sent me a PCP&C 420W PSU at no extra cost. I have absolutely no reason to hate on newegg, they really seem to care for the customer to me.