Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 3:30 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Dont understand why my internet is so slow
PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 6:35 pm 

Im on a laptop using a wireless network. The wireless router is 2-3 meters away from my laptop, and according to my laptop it says the speed is 72mbps.

My mom just upgraded our internet aswell, but i notice no change.

Youtube videos load extremely slow, and google maps is painfully slow. It sometimes wont even load the picture.

Is there something wrong? I don't get what the problem is

*Edit*

I average a 0.87mbps on the speed test, is this normal for 72mbps speed?

My connectivity is also 4 bars outta 5, sometimes 5. So its not like i have a weak signal

Also the status of my wirelss connection says IpV6 connectivity is limited.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 8:50 am 
Monkey Fed [PC]
Monkey Fed [PC]

Ok, I think you are confusing a few things here. That 72 MBPS speed is the connection from your lappy to the router, NOT from the lappy to the internet. Logging on to the modem itself will give you your upload and download speeds, OR you can head to dslspeedreport.net, and run a test there.

What is your connection speed to the internet now, and what was it before? What are the specs on the lappy? If the lappy is old and slow, getting a faster internet connection won't make it load things any faster.

The IPV6 throws up a flag for me as well, I don't think you should be using that. I'm pretty sure it should be IPV4, but let's get the other info first.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 11:38 am 

bigtoyota479 wrote:
Ok, I think you are confusing a few things here. That 72 MBPS speed is the connection from your lappy to the router, NOT from the lappy to the internet. Logging on to the modem itself will give you your upload and download speeds, OR you can head to dslspeedreport.net, and run a test there.

What is your connection speed to the internet now, and what was it before? What are the specs on the lappy? If the lappy is old and slow, getting a faster internet connection won't make it load things any faster.

The IPV6 throws up a flag for me as well, I don't think you should be using that. I'm pretty sure it should be IPV4, but let's get the other info first.

That dlsspeedreport doesnt work. My laptop is brand new, 4gb ram 250gb HD, pretty shitty video card though. I just dont know why my internet is so slow, everything else on my computer is fast

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 11:46 am 
Monkey Fed [PC]
Monkey Fed [PC]

You went here, to this website, and ran a test and it didn't work?

http://www.dslreports.com/stest?loc=2

If that's the case, are you running Vista or XP? I think the IPV6 is messing with your connection. Go to Network Connections, right click your lan/wireless connection, select properties. Uncheck the box next to IPV6, or disable it, and try the connection again. I just checked mine, and I'm pretty sure it should be IPV4.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 11:48 am 
Monkey Fed [PC]
Monkey Fed [PC]

Word to the wise, you may need to install Java for the test to work. I forgot to mention that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 12:03 pm 

bigtoyota479 wrote:
You went here, to this website, and ran a test and it didn't work?

http://www.dslreports.com/stest?loc=2

If that's the case, are you running Vista or XP? I think the IPV6 is messing with your connection. Go to Network Connections, right click your lan/wireless connection, select properties. Uncheck the box next to IPV6, or disable it, and try the connection again. I just checked mine, and I'm pretty sure it should be IPV4.

Okay i did the test, sorry i followed the wrong link last time. Here is my result:

I'm gonna disable Ipv6 now see if that does anything

*Edit* I disabled ipv6, but no noticable improvement. Maybe its my graphics card that causes google maps not to load and youtube videos to load slowly?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 1:09 pm 
Million Club - 20 Plus
Million Club - 20 Plus

What is your ISP?

Ted

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 1:40 pm 

Tedster wrote:
What is your ISP?

Ted

I use cogeco out of burlington ontario

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 8:29 am 
Million Club [PC]*
Million Club [PC]*

In that case, you (first off) used the wrong server.
Always use the one closest to you - hops can skew the results down. And, you used a server (CA) clear on the opposite end of the continent.
Run it again - but, this time use the ones in Toronto (best) or Chicago.
Note that these two are Flash-based, so (obvoisly) you'll need to have Flash installed.

Side question: what, exactly, is your mom paying for (that is, what's the 'contract speed' you're supposed to get?)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 10:01 am 
Java Junkie
Java Junkie

Ojloaf: We have a rule against posting the same question or topic more than once. You asked this question and I answered it. Asking the question again is not going to change the answer but if you didn't understand, I and the other forum members are happy to explain further.

Again, do not repost the same question or topic more than once.

Thank you for your co-operation.