Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Wed Aug 27, 2014 12:57 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Magic Jack, is it legit??
PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 2:26 pm 

To the Mods, if I picked the wrong forum for this discussion, I appologize, this is the only forum that seemed appropriate for this topic.
I saw a commercial today for the "Magic Jack". It promises unlimited local and long distance service for $19.95 a YEAR! Is this too good to be true, or is this legit? I know the old addage if it looks like a duck, quacks like a duck, then it's a duck, but if this is on the up and up, I want in, lol. HAs anyone used this before? I appreciate any input on this, I would love to save 30 bucks a month I pay now, as I would imagine everyone else would too. Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 11:07 am 
Hired Gun
Hired Gun

It's just a VOIP service, Skype or Vontage would be a better option.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 1:40 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

Yes it works, yes its legit. Read the wiki, it has downsides.

Post subject: Re: Magic Jack, is it legit??
PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 10:19 pm 
Northwood
Northwood

whpcguru wrote:
To the Mods, if I picked the wrong forum for this discussion, I appologize, this is the only forum that seemed appropriate for this topic.
I saw a commercial today for the "Magic Jack". It promises unlimited local and long distance service for $19.95 a YEAR! Is this too good to be true, or is this legit? I know the old addage if it looks like a duck, quacks like a duck, then it's a duck, but if this is on the up and up, I want in, lol. HAs anyone used this before? I appreciate any input on this, I would love to save 30 bucks a month I pay now, as I would imagine everyone else would too. Thanks.

I have used Magic Jack for over a year now. I think it is well worth the price. While it does have a few problems still, It has saved us over $900.00 in this past year.
All of my wife's kids live back east and so does other family members, so she does many long distance calls.We live in northen Calif.

Yes,,there have been some problems with my phones not working all the time with the MJ system,,and the fact that we live out in the boonies ,so we did not get a "Local" number.
But,I still think it was and is worth the $20.00 !! As to how much longer MJ will be at that price,,unknown..
Unlike the ad's they run says,,you still have to have a high speed internet conection (DSL or Cable) Before you can cancel your wired phone service.It does not work well with Sattlite ISP,,and MJ tells you NOT to try it that way.
so, give it a try and determine for yourself. You may choose to use it as a second line for your long distance services. :D :D

Post subject: Re: Magic Jack, is it legit??
PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 6:30 pm 

tiredoldman wrote:
So, give it a try and determine for yourself. You may choose to use it as a second line for your long distance services.

Interesting, interesting, I am thinking about it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 9:23 am 
Smithfield
Smithfield

I hope you have a low power PC to run it on - otherwise you'll have to leave a computer on 24/7 365 drawing 100watts+ just for your phone to be up.

God DAMMIT Magic Jack needs to make an Ethernet adapter with a web based configuration interface. They must be making money, they've redone their site 3 times in the last year... how much can it cost to design something like that?