Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 8:47 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: News Content
PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 11:19 am 

Hellow my name is Daniel and i have been reading maximum pc for 3 years or more and never really made an account on maximum pc until now.

At the moment I am working on a website and was wondering does maximumpc use somekind of software to input news and various articles to make it easier ? If not then how do they post news ?

1. Say i register for one of maximumpc's rss feeds how does that automaticly put news content on my site or does it ?

2. Last one :shock: Is it illegal to copy someone elses news on their site as long as you display who wrote it or where it came from ?

Post subject: Re: News Content
PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 11:32 am 
Super Mario Banhammer
Super Mario Banhammer

inDeeD wrote:
Hellow my name is Daniel and i have been reading maximum pc for 3 years or more and never really made an account on maximum pc until now.

At the moment I am working on a website and was wondering does maximumpc use somekind of software to input news and various articles to make it easier ? If not then how do they post news ?

1. Say i register for one of maximumpc's rss feeds how does that automaticly put news content on my site or does it ?

2. Last one :shock: Is it illegal to copy someone elses news on their site as long as you display who wrote it or where it came from ?

I cant answer number 1. as I am not up on how RSS works. I can however answer number 2. Yes it is illegal to copy someone elses news from their site and display it (not describing a fair use policy here) even if you assign credit to the author you are still violating copyright. Thats why the NFL always has that little disclaimer at the end of their broadcast: Any use or rebroadcast of this program without the express written permission of ... is a violation of United States and International copyright laws and will be prosecuted to the full extent of the law.

In the academic world it is ok to quote someone or to cite a reference to a body of work but it is still plagarism if you copy the work in toto without asking and recieving the authors permission to do so.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 11:50 am 

Can you post a link to an article you think is interesting then under that have a section were you write about it ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 12:12 pm 

yes, that is completely legal.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 12:26 pm 

So in essense that is what MPC does they find interesting news and they write their own opinion on it ?

Post subject: Re: News Content
PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 2:50 pm 
Contributing Writer
Contributing Writer

MaxFan wrote:
Yes it is illegal to copy someone elses news from their site and display it (not describing a fair use policy here) even if you assign credit to the author you are still violating copyright.

Eh. The concept of how much one can "excerpt" another article is still up for debate.

In short, lifting an entire article is wrong. Lifting 5 of 8 paragraphs and adding some kind of snarky overview / analysis? That's Gawker. Or the Huffpost. Or...