Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Fri Aug 29, 2014 9:30 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Mvix - False Advertising
PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 1:31 pm 

Bottom-Line: Mvix has misrepresented the capabilities and qualities of their product, the Mvix Ultio, alleging that it is Wireless-N capable.

Granted, no business is without error. But in this case, this misrepresentation is blatant. Nearly every advertisement on Mvix' web presences lays claim to the Mvix Ultio's Wireless-N capabilities. For example:

Mvix website > Mvix Ultio Home
Quote:
Ultio is internet-ready and pre-equipped with a network port (and an optional Wireless-N capability).

Mvix Website > Mvix Ultio - Features page
Quote:
Network media streaming from a shared, passwordprotected folder of a PC or NAS or a server over Ethernet (RJ45) connection or a wireless-N network (optional).

Mvix website > Mvix Ultio - Specifications
Quote:
Networking: LAN RJ45 10/100M or Wi-Fi 802.11N (via USB dongle, not included)

Mvix User's Manual

Mvix Specification's Sheet

I've been looking for a good HTPC for many months now, and it was the advertisements (above), along with several reviews, that peaked my interest with Mvix. (Note: you can search several reviews and find that each of them consistently reference the Mvix Ultio's Wireless-N capability). When the Ultio's came available in mid-July, I put my order in quickly but was disappointed to learn they sold out quickly. This Friday, I received an email from Mvix indicating my Mvix Ultio was on the way, expected next week.

At the time of my purchase, there was a link for the optional purchase of the Mvix-brand USB Wireless-N Adapter: the Mvix Nubbin. Like most of us here, I'm a PC enthusiast and had several Wireless-N USB Adapters, and therefore, chose not to purchase yet another one. But discretion being the better part of valor, with my Mvix Ultio expected next week, I thought it best to investigate what the "Mvix Ultio compatible USB Network Adapters" consisted of. I searched throughout their website, forums, KB, manual, and found nothing. After submitting a support request (via webform), I received the following reply:

Quote:
Currently the Ultio supports any usb wireless device using the Realtek RTL8187b chipset. We are also looking at releasing a 802.11n adapter shortly.

Thank you for contacting MvixUSA Support! Again, we apologize for any inconvenience caused and will try to get it resolved as soon as possible. Kindly rest assured you have our utmost attention. [Name removed for privacy].

Was Mvix support saying that *they* don't have their own branded 802.11n USB Adapter? Or...that the Mvix Ultio wasn't compatible with *any* 802.11n USB Adapter? Like most of us here, I did my research prior to purchase and didn't find any issues. So I investigated the Realtek RTL8187b chipset -- and viola: it's not compatible with 802.11n.

Still wanting to give Mvix the benefit of the doubt (and still account for the possibility that in my ignorance, I overlooked something), I created an account on the Mvix forums to ask this question. My post was removed within 10 minutes of posting. I tried again; it was removed again. I registered for an account on the Mvix Support Wiki -- and my account is still pending. It seems there's some legal imbroglio with Mvix, where the distributor (not a legal Mvix entity?) has broken-off and started manufacturing Mvix-branded products. Yadda Yadda.

My point: if the Mvix was advertised with having blue diodes, when in fact they were green, who cares? In this case, the deception was intentional (i.e. it was branded on nearly every product page on Mvix's web properties), the deception has a direct impact on the consumer's product choice (would you choose an HTPC to stream media that wasn't Gb?), and despite my (and others) requests, there's been no effort on behalf of Mvix to correct these "errors". The only correction made thus far was to edit the optional Mvix Nubbin Wireless Adapter to read "coming soon" on the Mvix Ultio Store Page.

Given these "oversights", my request to Mvix was to cancel my order, credit my account, and redress these "errors" on the Mvix website. My request was denied. Worse yet, they've done nothing to correct the same errors experienced by others.

While many IT products are manufactured elsewhere, the good news about purchasing products in the US is that - regardless of the source of supply - we have laws protecting consumers. Unless I'm mistaken about the Realtek drivers, this is a classic case of deception. I'm not looking to bad-mouth a company, but this is egregious. If I've overlooked something, it's not intentional. I'm willing to admit my mistakes (God knows they are many...), but this seems a clear-cut case of false advertising. But again, it's not the blatant disregard for us fellow IT consumers that bothers me; it's the total lack of respect for either addressing, or correcting, these errors that's most troubling.

Looking forward to your thoughts, if any.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 10:26 am 
team psycho or sumthin
team psycho or sumthin

Copypasta?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 8:48 am 
team psycho or sumthin
team psycho or sumthin

http://www.mvix.net/default.asp

Heh..

Call your credit card company and reverse the charges.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 9:59 am 
Monkey Fed [PC]
Monkey Fed [PC]

Somebody is in deep doo-doo over this one. Reverse your charges ASAP!