Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:56 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Wondering about Blizzcon coverage
PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 10:05 am 
Super Mario Banhammer
Super Mario Banhammer

ComicCon ( a non PC Centric convention dedicated to print matter and their subjects) gets a wealth of coverage, but MPC decides to snub Blizzcon ( a PC (loose definition as it also works on the MAC) ONLY past time) entirely? Rationale please.? Especially since you did extensive coverage of it LAST year. I watched most of the Stream but couldnt be there on the ground due to flight times bookings and family needs. But usually you guys do a decent write up of it at the least. What I got from you instead was Ozzy will be there (yeah ok so The Prince of Darkness is there and I'm a fan but thats NOT the entire convention) and Oh Yeah btw late news our parent company is opening another Magazine called World of Warcraft. This is what I get on the website, which should have at least had a 400 word teaser article and maybe some panel info, rather than a good in depth coverage like Comicon which is again I point out a PRINT media centric convention? C'mon guys your slipping. Did you even bother to send a representative to at least do a walk-around?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 2:28 pm 
Thunderbird
Thunderbird

maybe when MaxPC went to ComicCon, they had some time to spare. i am sure they wished to be at BlizzCon, but i think that since they are back in their offices working on hopefully new and exciting content for next month's magazine, i would let it slide.

maybe they are die-hard comic fans? ComicCon and BlizzCon happen one a year (i think), but BlizzCon is just a venue for teasing their fans with teaser art and videos, so maybe MaxPC felt that there wasn't much incentive to go cover that. maybe if the people from Blizzard released some system requirements or something besides character classes and concept art, maybe it would have gotten some extra press attention from MaxPC.

besides, there's always Gamespot.com for all your BlizzCon coverage.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 7:46 am 
Super Mario Banhammer
Super Mario Banhammer

bingojubes wrote:
maybe when MaxPC went to ComicCon, they had some time to spare. i am sure they wished to be at BlizzCon, but i think that since they are back in their offices working on hopefully new and exciting content for next month's magazine, i would let it slide.

maybe they are die-hard comic fans? ComicCon and BlizzCon happen one a year (i think), but BlizzCon is just a venue for teasing their fans with teaser art and videos, so maybe MaxPC felt that there wasn't much incentive to go cover that. maybe if the people from Blizzard released some system requirements or something besides character classes and concept art, maybe it would have gotten some extra press attention from MaxPC.

besides, there's always Gamespot.com for all your BlizzCon coverage.

Oh I got plenty of coverage from the stream and replays. However what I did NOT get that I did get with ComiCon was an On The Ground feel. You would think that MPC would at least have put up a footnote somewhere that the next EXPANSION World Of Warcraft: Cataclysm is in the process of being developed and that development is fairly far along as User Acceptance was done at BlizzCon with the two new races added to the game Goblins for the Horde and Worgen for the Alliance. But no mention of that from MPC as of yet. Die hard comic fans should subscribe to Fangora. MPC is supposed to be about developments for the PC this includes games meant for the PC only and to simply gloss over that in favor of coverage that is NOT PC centric is imho asking the reader to subscribe to a partisan ideal of what belongs on the pc. If Will Smith decides no coverage of BlizzCon how is that any different than the NY Times refusing to cover Tea Parties? Its a bias. Its a stark bias that Will and his staff should be ashamed of. Report that which is interesting to the PC world. Not just that which interests you. You have to reach ALL of your readers or you will lose them.

As to Gamespot.com that is the competition and I would like MPC to beat out the competition being a fan and all.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 10:21 am 
Maximum PC Editor
Maximum PC Editor

Sometimes you have to pick and choose which things you go to.

Because we have a booth and hotel block, it's cheap for us to go to Comic-Con. And, despite the fact that Comic-Con started out as a comics show, it's about movies and games as much as comics now. However, most importantly, ComicCon is very lightly covered by our competitors. That means we have a better chance of generating original content that a lot of people will want to read. Every gaming blog in the world goes to Blizzcon and PAX, making it much less likely that we'll get original stories there.

The other thing to consider is that we've traditionally been very shooter-focused as a publication. We talk about MMOs, but I don't think there's much point in reviewing MMO expansions, since the people who play those games pretty much have to buy them, and people who don't play won't be interested.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 10:46 am 
Super Mario Banhammer
Super Mario Banhammer

willsmith wrote:
Sometimes you have to pick and choose which things you go to.

Because we have a booth and hotel block, it's cheap for us to go to Comic-Con. And, despite the fact that Comic-Con started out as a comics show, it's about movies and games as much as comics now. However, most importantly, ComicCon is very lightly covered by our competitors. That means we have a better chance of generating original content that a lot of people will want to read. Every gaming blog in the world goes to Blizzcon and PAX, making it much less likely that we'll get original stories there.

The other thing to consider is that we've traditionally been very shooter-focused as a publication. We talk about MMOs, but I don't think there's much point in reviewing MMO expansions, since the people who play those games pretty much have to buy them, and people who don't play won't be interested.

Fair enough. I get the whole less coverage by competitors = better chance at good copy thing. Got to run a business like a business. You will have to admit however that leaving out 14 million+ potential subscriptions is probably bad for business. Regardless, it still feels as if Blizz (deservingly or not) got the cold shoulder this year.

Its fine to be a FPS focused magazine if you are FPS monthly but if you are MPC I would think that the focus should be on all things Maximum in the PC world.

Of course that is the type of decision they pay you the big bucks for Will. I'm a reader and a fan but you are the Editor in Chief and its your decision ultimately if a feature article runs or not. Yours is not an easy job (hopefully it is a fun and exciting one though), I will remain a loyal reader and fan but I will also calls em as I sees em. Of course the cost for tickets to this years event was also a factor. So while I can understand the economics of the situation I still feel that BlizzCon could have been better covered.

just my $0.02.