Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 1:47 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Virtualization
PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 7:16 pm 
Team Member Top 500
Team Member Top 500

I'm thinking of a way to utilize my old pc. It's an A64 3800+ with 3GB ram. I want to virtualize it so I have a test machine and and some practice machines.

The problem I'm having is choosing the best options. I need something that is headless since this pc will not have a gfx card, part of the reason it's being replaced. Whatever I choose needs to be changable either via VNC or a web interface. Right now I'm considering the VMWare ESXi server but I've never used it (only VM Server).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 8:07 pm 
Sharptooth
Sharptooth

VMware Server 2.0 has a web interface and administration. It uses the VMware Infrastructure front-end. I think this would work out well for you. I have used to for several months without any problems on OpenSuSe 11.0, both 32- and 64-bit.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 2:50 am 
TravBv2.0
TravBv2.0

VMWare Server 2 has what you're looking for, but I've tried twice to get it installed and working. Neither attempt was successful.

Is it imperitive to have the virtualization app available via web-interface, the host computer, or just the virtual machines? If it's the former, you'll need something like VMWare Server 2. If you just need access to the VM's, then all you need to do is give them their own virtual network connection (which will allow them to be seen as normal computers on your LAN), and set-up remote desktop or ssh, or whatever method you choose. If you only need to access the host, remote desktop or ssh will work here too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 6:35 am 
Million Club - 2 Plus
Million Club - 2 Plus

virtualBox has a "Remote Display Server" option under videocard settings. I'm not sure what it does, but it sounds like something you may want.. under the info, it says you can connect to it with RDP.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Remote_Desktop_Protocol

sounds like what you may want.