All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Folding Info Page Needed
PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 2:52 pm 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000

For anyone who missed it, check whole thread related to the following link:

http://www.maximumpc.com/forums/viewtop ... 39#1000839

Will Smith wrote:
If you guys will put together instructions for running F@H optimally on Windows machines, joining the team, etc, I'll post it and link it from the homepage for as long as people keep clicking it.

The team leaders (and Six/[Ch]ams) should look into it to create a single authoritative page, locked sticky, or whatever else meets Will's requirements. I also linked to the Wayback Machine's archive of [Ch]ams' old original article in that discussion because the old link in the FAQ is broken. Right now, there are too many outdated, scattered links even in just the main Folding FAQ.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 3:12 am 
Team Member Top 10
Team Member Top 10

Thanks for the link Ed. I just put up some instructions.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 5:02 am 
Folding for Elena
Folding for Elena

Hackman sent me a PM about the possibilities.

He suggested we need a committee or group to put together the info in a logical format for Will to link to.

I feel if we attempt to duplicate the efforts at Stanford we will be out of date rather quickly.

Will is only interested in Windows information.

If someone else will volunteer to coordinate, I could offer a front end that might explain an overview of folding and our team.

Point to our forum and the Stanford Homepage and explain the benefits of each.

We could also link to explanations people have put together to explain things more easily.

It's grown complex to facilitate the use of numerous form factors and possibilities.

When you learn it slowly over time , it's a piece of cake.

To see it new all at once, with all new jargon has to be overwhelming for many.

Summary

We need a coordinator
I'll write a small front end if he or she wants it.

Hopefully before I lose a week to the drawing in early Sept.

We should keep this looking simple and let the other existing support do it's job, or improvements on it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 10:36 pm 
Boy in Black
Boy in Black

/me raises hand!

I'd like to do a write up, but I'm not short and sweet. I have some IRC chaps that will involuntarily be great editors though.

I do believe Will only wants windows folding as Nix or Mac isn't a huge share of who it's talking to. People use windows, and it's XP and Vista/Win7 basically. If there's a Mac folder, they have the sister mag or the forums itself for assistance (which would be included as a note) as we have mac folders...it's still a PC under that OS!

What I'd really love to do is have someone into programing tarball an install package. I can find a host, or host it myself. A little back story...

General users really do have troubles doing more than clicking on exe's to run or just tossing a shortcut into the start up section of a start/orb menu. Installing as a service to just run, forget about it! WE set up, very easily, what many general reader or passerby finds very difficult. The install really hasn't changed much over time, but back when Chams had this C+ built exe you can just put on a huge 512M thumb drive and it worked with just a double click.

Just like if you run NotFred's VMware appliance, it runs, and it defaults to his name and his team...I want that! Sounds simple, but is it possible to do a little work and get an exe that anyone can double click on and pretty much start folding for 11108? That'd be great on the front end, and an article could go into tweaking that, making your own username, etc...otherwise, it can just go to a generic account for 11108.