Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Thu Sep 18, 2014 1:50 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 155 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
 Post subject: modern warfare 2
PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 7:23 am 

just like to know your thoughts on IW pulling the dedicated server for modern warfare 2?

"Password protected servers would not exist.
Clan matches would not take place.
Competitive gaming, as we know it, would disappear.
Ad-hoc scrims could be a thing of the past.
Game Server Providers would be crippled.
Player online experiences would be completely dominated by the quality of the system operated by the game's host. 48+slot servers could be a thing of the past.
Modders and mappers will disappear. The game's variation, as we have become accustomed to, will go with them. Our community will focus on gaming only. The hobbiest element will need to find another game."

the webcast with 402

http://bashandslash.com/index.php?optio ... &Itemid=69

i know you guys are gamers...what are they trying to do to the pc? make
it a console?

someone sent this to me today..just bout sums it up....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1FKty5Kpf4w

Last edited by plc on Sun Oct 18, 2009 3:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 9:10 am 
[Team Member]
[Team Member]

Vote with your money...don't buy the game...I am not going to buy it if they change to the new format, what a bunch of jerks!

Nasty

Last edited by Nastyman on Sat Nov 14, 2009 5:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: modern warfare 2
PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 9:07 pm 
Thoroughbred
Thoroughbred

I can't say I care at all really. I like the friends system for COD5, I'm guessing MW2 will be similar in that regard.

Also regarding your points, 1 doesn't really matter that much. 2,3, and 4 are all the same thing basically (and the competitive crowed is a vast minority compared to the casual players). Game Server Providers we're never guaranteed the necessary tools to provide MW2 (and true for any game) servers to begin with.

This next one is my favorite

Quote:
48+slot servers could be a thing of the past.

DEAR........GOD! Who would ever and I mean EVER!, want to participate in a 48+ server. 24 was already pushing the envelope quite a bit on MW1, 20 on COD2. At some point the game plummets into a frag spam nade fest and that number is well below 48 people to begin with.
As for user created content. I tried to never play on modded servers/custom maps. Most of them are horrible to begin with. What game variants that we are accustomed to will go? Zombie Mod? I can do without.
Same thing with modders and mappers. A game doesn't need community support to be great. Custom skins and sound effects aren't necessary to a great game. Also, since when is gaming in it self not part of the hobbyist element?

I'm definitely buying MW2 when it comes out. Even if I hated hated HATED this change, I'd still buy it for the single player experience alone.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 6:53 pm 

i happen to like 48 man servers...the more the merrier...i happen to host 2 32 man tf2 servers and if i could run 48 i would and people would show...btw some of this custom stuff has been implemented into new games...

tf2 for instance ..at least 3 maps that i know of were customs and now are part of valves lineup...

egypt
hoodoo
junction

without custom content we'd still be playing pong :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 7:12 pm 
Northwood
Northwood

plc wrote:
i happen to like 48 man servers...the more the merrier...i happen to host 2 32 man tf2 servers and if i could run 48 i would and people would show...btw some of this custom stuff has been implemented into new games...

Have you ever played CP_HalfAcre (or maybe it's CP_Acre)? It's a gigantic map that, even with 32 players is still really empty. 48, even 64 players would be awesome on it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 5:08 am 
Klamath
Klamath

I hadn't realized they were doing this....

Does this mean PC players will be able to go head to head with console players on other platforms? If that's true it will be fun to host a game on our powerful PCs with high bandwidth connections and just stomp on console weenies all day long. :twisted:

(Somehow I doubt it)

The problem will clearly be that the host has a huge advantage when it comes to any lag present and will likely always dominate based on that alone. This is the main reason you need dedicated servers so no one has a zero ping.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 6:33 am 
Team Member
Team Member

someone started a petition.
http://www.petitiononline.com/dedis4mw/
It has almost 100,000 signatures already.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 7:11 am 
Million Club - 2 Plus
Million Club - 2 Plus

Woody87 wrote:
I hadn't realized they were doing this....

Does this mean PC players will be able to go head to head with console players on other platforms? If that's true it will be fun to host a game on our powerful PCs with high bandwidth connections and just stomp on console weenies all day long. :twisted:.

This has already been implemented in a few select GFWL titles. To date there are only 3 cross-platform titles, the first of which is Shadowrun.

Post subject: Re: modern warfare 2
PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 9:07 am 
Team Member
Team Member

XoRn wrote:
I'd still buy it for the single player experience alone.

I did not like, or play any of the multiplayer in the original Modern Warfare, so I felt a little short-changed by the length of the single player campaign.

The last Modern Warfare took about 6 hours to complete. I will not be surprised if MW2 runs about the same amount of time for the single player campaign as the price of admission is counting the single player\multiplayer experience in the price tag.

I feel bad for those looking to host MW2 server, but the fact of the matter is Activision\Infinity Ward can do whatever the hell they want. It's their game, so if they want to alienate their PC consumers they have every right to. Just remember, you have the right to not buy this game.

The second post got it right. Vote with your wallet. Kicking, screaming, throwing tantrums on message boards does nothing. Don't buy the game and move on. That's what I'm going to do.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 3:58 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

As if the PB experience wasn't bad enough...

Absolutely will not buy this game with a 60 dollar price tag.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 4:31 pm 
Willamette
Willamette

Woody87 wrote:
Does this mean PC players will be able to go head to head with console players on other platforms? If that's true it will be fun to host a game on our powerful PCs with high bandwidth connections and just stomp on console weenies all day long. :twisted:

I think that's the golden grail for some of the gaming companies. Some games can probably do it, others, not so much. Why do you think we've been getting the really crappy aiming systems on the PC? With the mouse, you'd dominate any console player in an FPS unless they had autoaim or you reduce the accuracy of the PC player.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 4:41 pm 
Northwood
Northwood

jcollins wrote:
Woody87 wrote:

I think that's the golden grail for some of the gaming companies. Some games can probably do it, others, not so much. Why do you think we've been getting the really crappy aiming systems on the PC? With the mouse, you'd dominate any console player in an FPS unless they had autoaim or you reduce the accuracy of the PC player.

They already tried that with Shadow Run, but they had to gimp the PC version so that the PC players wouldn't have a huge advantage using the Keyboard/Mouse.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 4:44 pm 
Million Club - 2 Plus
Million Club - 2 Plus

jcollins wrote:
Woody87 wrote:
Quote:
Because of the lack of 'pixel-accuracy' with the Xbox 360 analog thumbstick, the designers have included an aim-assisting technology, which basically interpolates the player's movement and causes the reticle to stay over an enemy player like a weak magnet. In addition, FASA has implemented a feature which causes the cross-hair to expand during quick movements, thus lowering the player's accuracy, making it impossible to quickly turn and maintain accuracy, reducing the potential advantage of playing with a mouse.[6][7] PC players, who have a more sensitive control scheme, are able to turn significantly faster than their controller-using counterparts and would have gained an unfair advantage.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shadowrun_ ... 0_versions

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 4:57 pm 
Team Member
Team Member

Already been said that there will not be a Console Vs PC for MW2. Listen to the thing in the first post.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 5:44 pm 
Million Club - 2 Plus
Million Club - 2 Plus

Digital-Storm wrote:
Already been said that there will not be a Console Vs PC for MW2. Listen to the thing in the first post.
Actually the OP was referring to the transition form a PC game to a console game. But yes, MW2 won't have any cross-platform support. Like I previously posted, it has to be Games for Windows Live and even then it might not. (Its neither.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 6:35 pm 
Million Club [PC]
Million Club [PC]

it's been tried and it hasn't worked. In the few games it's been tried on it didn't work out- console weenies would avoid servers with PC players on them, so they don't get whooped up by people using a mouse to shoot them. No joke.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 10:56 pm 
Willamette
Willamette

Yeah, but not all games are FPS's. I don't think I'd want to try and do a fighting sim with a keyboard for example.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 11:02 am 
Team Member Top 500
Team Member Top 500

Will not be even thinking of getting MW2 after this, suck on my candy cane, Activision!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 2:36 pm 
Northwood
Northwood

Haha, today'sPenny Arcade sums it all up.

I wonder when we're going to be able to comment on any possible situation with a web-comic. I mean, we already have a Seinfeld for everything.

Anyway, no servers = bad.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 6:18 pm 
Team Member Top 100
Team Member Top 100

My entire gaming clan recently decided because of this that we'd be sticking with CoD4 unless this gets changed.

Console gaming is NOT the same thing as PC gaming.

I signed the petition and won't be buying the game as long as this remains the situation. Too bad - I really wanted to.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 155 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next