Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 11:34 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Official PC KotOR problems thread!
PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2004 11:42 am 
Team Member
Team Member

Ok, I am starting this thread so those of us who play the PC version of Knights of the Old Republic can compare notes on any problems we've had. As anyone who's played it knows, it is quite possibly the buggiest game of all time. List your problem, and if you've fixed it, how?

For starters, verticle sync turned on and updated drivers fix a lotbut not even close to everything.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2004 6:22 pm 
Team Member
Team Member

I certainly had the game lock-up on me several times, but I wouldn't go so far as to call it the buggiest game of all time.

Your system info might help some people to diagnose your problems.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2004 6:30 am 
Team Member
Team Member

No, all I'm trying to do here is get people who have had problems to talk about them and their possible solutions. It runs fine for me now, But I know a lot of people haven't been able to finish the game since it locks up on em'.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2004 8:22 am 
like a rock - waitaminute, I AM a rock
like a rock - waitaminute, I AM a rock

I've played through and finished this game 4 times so far (even before the latest patch) I only had it lock up on me once through all that time. When I purchased the game I had a Gainward 5600 ... that worked great ... then played it sometime later when I had upgraded to an MSI 5900XT and it now works just as flawlessly on my XFX 6800GT.

My point; what problems??? :?: I guess through 2 computer upgrades and a 3 graphics cards I haven't experienced a single issue. Maybe I'm just lucky. Also, it's FAR from the buggiest game ever.

The buggiest game ever would have to be either Temple of Elemental Evil or Pool of Radiance. Pool of Radiance was known for wiping hard drives and ruining any OS installation if you tried to uninstall it.

Last edited by Obsidian on Thu Nov 04, 2004 8:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2004 8:26 am 
Klamath
Klamath

Yeah I experienced a bug in KotOR. When I bought the game I ran it on my old pc (Dell 1.5GHz, Geforce2, integrated sound, 512 RAM), and the graphics were alright (it wasnt a gaming machine or anything).

In the 2nd "level" (after you've crash landed on the planet and you're in an alien apartment) the game would skip sooo bad. We're talking less than 1 Frame Per Sec. So I would have to save the game, exit, and disable all the ingame sound (i think it's actually a troubleshooting option on the autorun menu) and restart the game.

This was kinda interesting to me. Just the fact that the first level of gameplay worked great with the sound and music, but once I got to the next level everything skipped horridly. I tried re-enabling the sound once I got to different parts of the game later on and in some places the game would perform great, and in other places the game would skip.

It sucked really bad, but disabling sound was the only thing that I tried and it worked for me. So after I disabled the sound, the game played (graphically) great. At least I got to play the game (I just made my own sounds, which is kinda fun) :wink: I didn't look for any updates to the game, or any updates for my drivers, but that's just because I didn't really care that much about it. KotOR was a good game with or without the sound.

Just curious, has anyone else experienced a similar error?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2004 6:20 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

when they first beta tested KOTOR, they found 7856 total bugs! I think one or two here and there i can deal with.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2004 8:11 am 

played through it, beat it as light side, had no issues.... lucky me I guess

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2004 9:12 pm 

Played it through 7 times so far (light, dark, cheat, non-cheat, etc) the only bad bug I have found has to do not with the game but ATI's Open Glide drivers causing the game to crash periodically. This was not a problem in pre-catalyst 4.2 but in the more recent iterations the problem arose.

apart from that the game has run flawlessly

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2004 12:17 pm 

Obsidian27 wrote:
when they first beta tested KOTOR, they found 7856 total bugs! I think one or two here and there i can deal with.

Interesting, because just before WindowsXP came out, someone (dunno who) did a study of a group of programmers (again, dunno who) stating that they made an average of 1.2 bugs for every 200 lines of code.

Really though, "bugs" count even the smallish stuff, like mispelling a word or something goofy. Anything that doesn't crash the game just turns into a feature ;)