Maximum PC

It is currently Wed Aug 20, 2014 11:41 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Pick my next game
PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2004 8:43 am 
Smithfield
Smithfield

No, it isn't wide open, I'm considering either Battlefield 1942 or Call of Duty

I've seen Doom and Quake and others of that ilk. Doesn't appeal to me. War games where I can go sneaking around and sniping are more to my taste.

No poll, people have been polled to death lately. Just tell me what you like or don't like about Battlefield or Call.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2004 9:32 am 
Coppermine
Coppermine

i would go with call of duty. bf is more for multiplayer, so if you want massive battles with vehicles, then bf may be a good choice. if you are looking for a good multiplayer AND single player game, call of duty all the way. i've beat that game (the first one) and it does not get old AT ALL. multiplayer is very fun and maps are great. the game looks dam good for being ont he quake 3 engine. i switched from my soundmax onboard to an audigy 2 and dam does it make a difference. you can hear where bullets are being shot from, footsteps, it's a great game. bf has no single player STORY mode. you can play bots with yourself, but that's as in depth as the game gets. i'm sure it's great online, but i'm sure there will be a lot of laggy servers too. i think it can go up to 32 players on the battlefield (including bots).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2004 8:56 am 
Smithfield
Smithfield

Thanks ben, guess nobody likes my choice of games. FYI, got Call from local software maggot. New employee had it in clearance bin for $6.50 (cdn) - - - Thank-you and out the door!

Only halfway through the American missions. Love the sound, graphics are very good and the action... yippee! Or maybe the current expression is w00t! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2004 8:47 pm 
Thunderbird
Thunderbird

If you're into multiplayer, you should try the united offensive expansion pack. Adds vehicles and more guns and such. I haven't even bothered to play the single player of the expansion yet b/c I've had so much fun in the multiplayer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2004 10:49 pm 
Coppermine
Coppermine

that sounds freakin sweet. i have not checked out the expansion packs yet. i've been wanting to for a while. it is the holidays...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2004 9:29 am 
Java Junkie
Java Junkie

Call of Duty is the best game of its genre that I've played ... I highly recommend it, whitecree ... especially for someone who is interested in the history of the period.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2004 10:40 am 
Smithfield
Smithfield

Yup, I confess. I am a history nut.

I caught wise last night and took it off the tough guy level and started playing at 'normal'. Heh, define normal?

Marathon playing binge took place. I kept getting my ass kicked but kept going back for more. Developed a blinding headache from the INTENSITY of the sound effects. Got shell shocked a few times in the British missions, especially at the start when you have to protect the bridge. Almost blew lunch all over monitor.

Then comes the Russian missions. Ever see Enemy At The Gate? I shuddered when I saw the opening of the game was to be the river crossing. Then I remembered that at that time, the Russians hadn't had time or material to build enough weapons. Oh no. But maybe I'll get lucky and... no, I got the clip, not the rifle. How sweet. Facing what amounts to D-Day without so much as a slingshot.

But, I persevered and finally whupped the nazis about an hour ago. (YAWN) I haven't stayed up all night gaming for about a zillion years. Good thing I have days off until wednsday. I'm going to do it all over again at the hardest level. Can't wait to get my tail shot off again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2004 11:38 am 
Million Club
Million Club

I've been playing nothing but Call of Duty for nearly a year now. Online is still as exciting as ever. I plan on getting the expansion pack soon.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2004 4:59 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

Call of Duty is MOHAA with better graphics, better guns, better weapons, so it's a buffed MOH which is pretty good!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2004 5:48 pm 
Coppermine
Coppermine

Obsidian27 wrote:
Call of Duty is MOHAA with better graphics, better guns, better weapons, so it's a buffed MOH which is pretty good!

ya, except moh can't run on lower end machines quite like cod. but that's something that EA can't get over. they'll never get it right and they'll probably never care.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2004 8:14 am 
Smithfield
Smithfield

With MoHA, one of the first things I noticed was on one of the maps detailing D-Day, they used the current Canadian flag. That flag wasn't in use at the time, it should have been the all red one with the coat of arms in the top left corner. CoD got it right - which pleased me. If you're going to all the trouble of building a game based on historic events, at least try to get the easy details right IMO.

I think EA is getting too big for its own good.

The only disappointing thing about CoD was in the Russian mission, I didn't get to shoot that damned political officer that was always yelling at me to go! go! go!