Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Tue Jul 22, 2014 10:39 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: rb6 ravenshield 3 online prob
PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2004 11:11 pm 

first i got a 56k line but on some servers i can do ok. others, i'm shot and then i see the characters. what are some things to do to tweak it so it won't be so jumpy? the res. is already pre set and i put all the graphics setting i could control to medium with no effect.
got ath 1.33, xp sp2, ati 9200 and 256mb had 512 but 1 dimm bit it.
i cant change this yet or my connection
is there any tweaks besides the obvious (get a new rig and dsl)?

Also were could i read up on techniques to lose the newb status and get some more kills?

Post subject: Re: rb6 ravenshield 3 online prob
PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2004 3:54 am 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000

scweennaem@ wrote:
first i got a 56k line but on some servers i can do ok. others, i'm shot and then i see the characters.

Welcome to online gaming on 56k.

Quote:
what are some things to do to tweak it so it won't be so jumpy? the res. is already pre set and i put all the graphics setting i could control to medium with no effect.

Get a hardware modem, move up to cable or dsl, or go to DSLreports and run the utilities there and maybe get 10% better ping. www.dslreports.com

Quote:
got ath 1.33, xp sp2, ati 9200 and 256mb had 512 but 1 dimm bit it.
i cant change this yet or my connection

is there any tweaks besides the obvious (get a new rig and dsl)?

The only way is to get away from a host based modem and go with a hardware or modem with a hardware controller. Your best bet of finding one is to buy an external 56k modem that hooks up to your parallel or serial port connection.

There are some internal one's, but they are hard to find in PCI flavor. Much more common in ISA, but ISA is a dead standard. US Robotics probably is your best bet.

And they won't be cheap, but for all the tweaking you can do this will give you your best boost right out of the box and make your tweaking meaningful. Tweaking is probably good, at best, for 10% increase. That's it.

Quote:
Also were could i read up on techniques to lose the newb status and get some more kills?

Only way is to get really kick ass in the single player part, then hope you get a good ping...and just keep playing. Online play is much different...it require strategy, planning and sometimes team work.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2004 10:25 am 
Team Badger
Team Badger

newer online games are pretty bandwidth intensive, you have to expect them to be jumpy on 56k. Hell, they're jumpy sometimes on broadband