Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Thu Dec 25, 2014 8:01 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Grand Theft Auto ... Stolen!
PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2004 8:59 am 
Contributing Writer
Contributing Writer

First DOOM 3 was leaked on the 'Net, then Halo 2, and even the source code for Half Life 2 was jacked, but now the highly-anticipated Grand Theft Auto San Andreas has been leaked onto the Internet and the entire game, and images from the manual are making their way around file sharing networks.

Rockstar games is having a stroke, since the game is set for release in literally a few days (I have my copy on pre-order and cannot wait) but we find it ironic that the industry that pioneered sharing free versions and free levels and trial periods is getting bitten by the players they helped for so long. Now, that's player hatin'.

http://www.aliceandbill.com/2004/10/grand-theft-auto-stolen.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2004 9:08 am 
Klamath
Klamath

P2P sharing is a great idea that doesn't work the way it should. Viruses and trojans along with outright theft of software is turning a great idea into a nightmare that may kill the original concept. I'm sorry to hear about the theft of games because it hurts the industry but the companies themselves need to keep a tighter reign on security.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2004 9:53 am 
Contributing Writer
Contributing Writer

Not to excuse the thieves, but game companies should be aware of the situation by now. I agree with Joker in that better in-house security needs to be implemented. It's becoming almost a given that any big name release runs a high risk of being leaked.

In the case of the above, it's not as big a deal when it happens that close to a launch. Once it's officially released, the pirates will dissect it anyway, so having it done a couple days early is nothing to have a stroke over. HL2? Now that's a whole different story...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2004 5:03 am 
Smithfield
Smithfield

When you spend millions of R&D on games you'd think they would have put a little of that towards security. Maybe the gaming community should setup a "Tips" line or web site to stop this.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2004 5:14 am 
No Hope = No Fear
No Hope = No Fear

"Used" to work for CompuUSA, Inventory Control Cord. and we found a big problem in a lot of the anticipated games being stolen b4 we even got them into the store.. so even if that was to get locked down who's to say that the people in the warehouses aren't selling them off...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2004 5:03 pm 
Team Member Top 100
Team Member Top 100

I think that most networks are secure (except for Valve's it seems :roll: ), and that the problem is the publishing houses.

Halo 2's leak? Right after Halo 2 went gold and into production.
San Andreas's leak? During production.
Doom 3's leak? During production (at least that was the first time I heard of it).

I think it really just gets out of the developer's hands and then people working at the plants jack them.

My theory, anyway.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2004 9:24 pm 
Contributing Writer
Contributing Writer

Can't they implement a serial number tracking system like that guy who got all up in arms about movie DVDs being leaked before the Oscars? It's wild how many advance alpha and beta game copies a game reviewer will get espeically if their magazine has a three month lead time, but even when I ran CNET's Gamecenter, we had those locked down. You basically sign your life away to get them in the first place. This is definitely some scum who shoud at least be traceable. How hard can that be?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2004 5:29 am 
Smithfield
Smithfield

Doom 3 was leaked when it was still in it's alpha stage.