Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Wed Aug 20, 2014 5:12 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: newly built gaming pc isn't doing to good in gaming
PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2004 7:14 pm 

i just built a computer with a P4 3.0 ghz processor, a radeon 9200 128 mb video card, 512 mb dual channel 3200 ram, and 120 gb 7200 rmp hard drive, and still when i play some warcraft III over the internet the screen will pause then start up again every once in a while, somethimes even go as far that i will get dreaded, "waiting for host message" . Can someone please help me i have no clue whats wrong. :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2004 8:04 pm 
Team Member Top 50
Team Member Top 50

that video card sucks for gamming, you should get at least a radeon 9800 Pro

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2004 8:11 pm 
Team Badger
Team Badger

agreed, the 9200 sucks so much its worth lying about it's features in order to convince someone to get something better.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2004 8:55 pm 
Willamette
Willamette

depends on what games you play, but as far as newer "top notch" games go, yeah it sucks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2004 7:01 am 
like a rock - waitaminute, I AM a rock
like a rock - waitaminute, I AM a rock

Although ignoring the post almost entirely seems to be the order of the day for my PC brethren ...

What kind of internet connection do you have? The "Waiting for Host" message can only come from the lack of throughput in your line - whatever that may be.

The 9200, while not great, should play Warcraft 3 just fine. If you don't have broadband that could be the culprit for this issue. If you do have broadband, do you have a router or home network setup of some sort? It might be configured incorrectly.

Additionally Battle Net has never been great on stability. I remember that message from many moons ago. Depending on their network traffic it might not even be your issue. Do you notice anything else happening in games that would denote anything other than a generally bad graphics card choice?

Post subject: Re: newly built gaming pc isn't doing to good in gaming
PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2004 7:37 am 
Willamette
Willamette

captainjohnny wrote:
i just built a computer with a P4 3.0 ghz processor, a radeon 9200 128 mb video card, 512 mb dual channel 3200 ram, and 120 gb 7200 rmp hard drive, and still when i play some warcraft III over the internet the screen will pause then start up again every once in a while, somethimes even go as far that i will get dreaded, "waiting for host message" . Can someone please help me i have no clue whats wrong. :(

Just like Obsidian said, the error you are getting has nothing to do with your system. It's either one of three things:

-Your internet connection
-Battle.net's internet connection
-Or Whoever created the games internet connection.

Typically, it is a combination of battle.net and people still stuck using 56k connections.

Unfourtunately, this is all to common on Battle.net, so, it's normal.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2004 5:15 am 
Team Member
Team Member

Number One: Your Vid Card
Number 2: RAM

Not to offend, but your machine sounds like something a brick and mortar store will try to package and sell as a "gaming" machine. Make a few small upgrades (a 9800 pro, or the equivalent nVidia based card) and drop a little more RAM into that box and you should be up and running better.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 5:43 pm 
Team Member
Team Member

Liquid86 wrote:

Not to offend, but your machine sounds like something a brick and mortar store will try to package and sell as a "gaming" machine. Make a few small upgrades (a 9800 pro, or the equivalent nVidia based card) and drop a little more RAM into that box and you should be up and running better.

i concur... sounds abit weak in the RAM and CARD areas.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 6:32 pm 
Willamette
Willamette

Liquid86 wrote:

I am sorry but his Video Card and amount of RAM has nothing to do with the "Waiting for Host" message he is getting from Battle.net.

His computer, while not the latest and greatest, is more than sufficeint to play Warcraft 3.

His problem is either his slow internet connection, or whomever is hosting the battle.net game's slow internet connection. Or as is sometimes the case, Battle.net itself.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2004 9:08 am 

Yo if you want a kick-ass upgrade card...get the BFG 6800OC with a 50$ rebate right now ...it's a great card for gaming. I think it's for sale at best buy in the states.

It's the same price as the 9800 pro but it's a better card IMHO
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?id=1083715895205&skuId=6727081&type=product&cmp=++

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2004 8:15 am 

This has nothing to do with your system. While the parts are not the best on the market they are more than enough to run war3 with little problems.

Like stated earlier it has something to do with your internet connection. Quite possibly you need to configure your windows firewall to allow bnet games.

go here
http://www.blizzard.com/support/?id=msi0423p
or the forums here
http://www.battle.net/forums/board.aspx?ForumName=opensupport