Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Wed Aug 20, 2014 2:50 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Which game do you think will have better graphics?
Doom 3 38%  38%  [ 10 ]
Half-Life 2 62%  62%  [ 16 ]
Total votes : 26
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2004 12:51 pm 
Maximum PC Editor
Maximum PC Editor

The reason Doom3 is dark is that the number of polygons that needs to be calculated for the shadows goes up exponentially each time you add a dynamic light. If you pay attention during the game, you'll note that there are very few places where there are more than two lights shine on the same place, and there are large dark areas with small static lights between the more well lit areas.

I think that they overestimated what the hardware would be capable of when they were creating the content, and then had to pull a bunch of lights from the game when they saw what the current gen hardware could do.

As for which engine looks better, you'll have to wait til January to see what we say about HL2 :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2004 10:13 am 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000

For Farcry, read The Island of Dr Moreau by HG Wells. You'll get the basic idea of the game. Then add a few mercs and big guns :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2004 12:33 pm 

WillSmith wrote:
The reason Doom3 is dark is that the number of polygons that needs to be calculated for the shadows goes up exponentially each time you add a dynamic light. If you pay attention during the game, you'll note that there are very few places where there are more than two lights shine on the same place, and there are large dark areas with small static lights between the more well lit areas.

I think that they overestimated what the hardware would be capable of when they were creating the content, and then had to pull a bunch of lights from the game when they saw what the current gen hardware could do.

As for which engine looks better, you'll have to wait til January to see what we say about HL2 :)

That and the fact that DOOM3 is meant to be a dark and scary game, beyond hardware limitations the clever use of per-pixel lighting and stencil shadow volumes, (and normal/specular mapping for that matter), id Software wanted an "in your face in the dark you're all alone the lights are out you know something is there raising the suspension" experience.

And about Half-Life 2....it's more about making the textures, models, and environments look extremely lifelike rather than mastering real-time lighting and shadowing on a complete and automatic level of dynamics. This means great use of bumpy, diffuse and specular component featuring displacement maps with real-time reflection maps (and refraction/diffraction for that matter).

Reflection and refraction maps also for water, and diffraction. DX9 cards come into great use considering they can calculate the wide range of floating point values and high colour precision needed to describe high dynamic range lighting, which would be useful for things like how the sun shines against trees or shining through an object blockking your vision or "sight." It's also useful for describing how the human eye adapts to an environment based on contrast and brightness realistically. But I suppose that's old news to you all. :)

I think both will be equal graphically speaking.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2004 3:06 am 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000

WillSmith wrote:

I can't wait for Ravensoft to get their hands on the new Doom engine and do some magic with it. I've got a BFG GeForce 6800 GT OC 256mb card that needs a good workout.

Trilinear filtering and max settings...it's like a power shake for it (it's pensive and nervous at first but once it gets going it's like...ho-hum).

Throw High quality at it and it catches it one handed, in the dark, while watching T.V.

Throw 1600x1200...it files it's nails while doing the above.

Hit it over the head with 4x AA - it looks at me like it's annoyed (bring it fatboy, it says).

8x AA and it starts to exert itself. But hardly breaks a sweat., spits out 41fps in timedemo1 the first time through. It gets tired and heads to the dugout, not bother with the second run. Kinda like A Rod.

Then I install the 61.77 drivers. It gulps it back, not really needing it but knows it'll make his trainer happy.

And I run out of config options. The game gets called due to rain.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2004 10:22 pm 

Wester547 wrote:
WillSmith wrote:

That and the fact that DOOM3 is meant to be a dark and scary game, beyond hardware limitations the clever use of per-pixel lighting and stencil shadow volumes, (and normal/specular mapping for that matter), id Software wanted an "in your face in the dark you're all alone the lights are out you know something is there raising the suspension" experience.

And about Half-Life 2....it's more about making the textures, models, and environments look extremely lifelike rather than mastering real-time lighting and shadowing on a complete and automatic level of dynamics. This means great use of bumpy, diffuse and specular component featuring displacement maps with real-time reflection maps (and refraction/diffraction for that matter).

Reflection and refraction maps also for water, and diffraction. DX9 cards come into great use considering they can calculate the wide range of floating point values and high colour precision needed to describe high dynamic range lighting, which would be useful for things like how the sun shines against trees or shining through an object blockking your vision or "sight." It's also useful for describing how the human eye adapts to an environment based on contrast and brightness realistically. But I suppose that's old news to you all. :)

I think both will be equal graphically speaking.

Well, kinda hard to say right now, but I'll go with Doom 3 looking better in graphics. When it comes to 3D graphics, lights & shadows play a very big part in creating a more realistic & giving a better 3D feel to the final outcome (image/animation). It's also true that the more shadow there is in a 3D image, the more realistic it becomes. Knowing that Ravensoft worked mostly with real-life like maps & textures, I fear that they didn't do a very a good job with lights & shadows. I saw a few screenshots of the game, and I honestly can't say that it looked any better than Doom 3. The fact that Id software had their game looking 'darker' (regardless if that's how the game was meant to be or if it's just an engine lack of performance) surely gave it a better look & feel, imo. :wink: