Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Fri Aug 22, 2014 9:46 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Which game do you think will have better graphics?
Doom 3 38%  38%  [ 10 ]
Half-Life 2 62%  62%  [ 16 ]
Total votes : 26
 Post subject: Half-Life 2 vs Doom 3 (graphics)
PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2004 5:19 pm 
Willamette
Willamette

Ok, of course Half-Life 2 isn't out yet, but from what I can tell, the graphics are incredible. Just looking at the city screen with the large tower (see link below)
http://www.3dgamers.com/screenshots/gam ... e2/380827/
-makes it look almost better than real (is that even possible?)

Of course, doom 3's graphics are mind blowing as well.

So from what you can tell as of now, which game do you think will edge ahead graphics wise?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2004 5:33 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

half life 2 by a mile
true the game is not out yet but all i have seen and read (pcgamer review 98% "best game ever made" ) i just can't wait till it is available

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2004 6:27 pm 
Willamette
Willamette

I think the Half-Life 2 story etc will be better, but not so sure about the graphics.

Post subject: Re: Half-Life 2 vs Doom 3 (graphics)
PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2004 6:46 pm 
Clawhammer
Clawhammer

InstigatorX wrote:
Ok, of course Half-Life 2 isn't out yet, but from what I can tell, the graphics are incredible. Just looking at the city screen with the large tower (see link below)
http://www.3dgamers.com/screenshots/gam ... e2/380827/
-makes it look almost better than real (is that even possible?)

Of course, doom 3's graphics are mind blowing as well.

So from what you can tell as of now, which game do you think will edge ahead graphics wise?

I've played Doom III and CS:S and all I can say is "WOW." Each engine has it's own advantages and disadvantages. I think the Source engine appears to look more realistic for me. Doom III looked to me like they wanted to master the art of shadows, and master they did. However, Half Life 2 seems to be more focused on how they can make it look as real as possible. You wouldn't believe the bump-mapping in CS:S or the reflective world.

It's a win-win situation for us but I believe Source looks better.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2004 7:12 pm 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000

Each game has it's advantages like another post says, but I still think HL2 when it comes out will win overall by FAR.

:-)
Dave

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2004 8:02 pm 
No Hope = No Fear
No Hope = No Fear

i haven't figured out yet how it is, a game can be started in creation and take years to develop, and then realize by the time the game is finished "their engine is old news"... if it takes years to develop they would mean they would have to upgrade their engine as well right?? :?:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2004 6:37 am 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000

From a development standpoint, we haven't seen the full-capabilities of the Doom3 engine. Remember, that for each new engine ID has released that game in-house...and they're not greatly known for their innovative game design - their main thing is to get the technology right and then let the 3rd party developers who license their engine to handle the real bling-bling.

Let's see wht Ravensoft can do with Quake IV before we compare the engines.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2004 6:39 am 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000

Mani-aX wrote:
i haven't figured out yet how it is, a game can be started in creation and take years to develop, and then realize by the time the game is finished "their engine is old news"... if it takes years to develop they would mean they would have to upgrade their engine as well right?? :?:

Not necessarily. You'd dont design for today. You design for tomorrow. Doom3 has been developed for about 4 years now. And it was targetted for specific projections of where technology will be. Same with Half-Life 2.

In fact, the technology out now seems to be a step behind the engine, which is a good thing. Usually the software is well behind the hardware.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2004 7:10 am 
Contributing Writer
Contributing Writer

Wolfmann wrote:
From a development standpoint, we haven't seen the full-capabilities of the Doom3 engine.

And that's a great point. If comparing the engines, we need to see what other developers are able to do with it before passing judgement.

If simply comparing the game itself (HL2 vs Doom3), then I'd give the nod to HL2, but the nod stops there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2004 8:24 am 
like a rock - waitaminute, I AM a rock

I think that ID Software screwed themselves by having a brilliant game engine but making the game itself so dark you can hardly enjoy any of the detail. I'd love to see the creatures more but I blast them all so quickly I have no time to notice that their movements and textures are incredible.

I don't know that HL2 will have "better" graphics per-say, but I bet what will be there is going to be easier to enjoy and notice. At least ... I hope so

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2004 5:10 pm 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000

Obsidian wrote:
I think that ID Software screwed themselves by having a brilliant game engine but making the game itself so dark you can hardly enjoy any of the detail. I'd love to see the creatures more but I blast them all so quickly I have no time to notice that their movements and textures are incredible.

I don't know that HL2 will have "better" graphics per-say, but I bet what will be there is going to be easier to enjoy and notice. At least ... I hope so

Turn your gamma up.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2004 4:43 am 
Team Member
Team Member

I think the real trick is going to be seeing just how scaleable they have made HL2. Doom 3 turned out to be fairly scaleable so that almost anybody with a mchine younger than two years could at least play it. Granted, I by no means have an outdated machine, however I am going to upgrading soon anyways (Athlon 3200+, 512 pc3200, GFFX 5700Ultra, nForce 2).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2004 7:05 am 

Wolfmann wrote:
Turn your gamma up.

<sarcasm>Wow, I hadn't thought of that AT ALL</sarcasm> :P

Seriously, that's never going to fix the problem of the game being dark. It's dark on purpose. But as a result you can't appreciate the full effect of the game. Have you even played the game? Or were you just trying to be a dick and zing me?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2004 7:54 am 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000

Obsidian wrote:
Wolfmann wrote:
Turn your gamma up.

<sarcasm>Wow, I hadn't thought of that AT ALL</sarcasm> :P

Seriously, that's never going to fix the problem of the game being dark. It's dark on purpose. But as a result you can't appreciate the full effect of the game. Have you even played the game? Or were you just trying to be a dick and zing me?

I was being a wise ass. :-) But honestly, though...Doom3 is mostly interior settings. It's pretty hard to judge if it's too dark when you only are getting 1/4 to 1/2 of the engine.

Honestly I'm not as impressed with the game as I thought I'd be, but I've only just started it. I've played a couple of the "hell" levels and it was pretty cool...

What I'm waiting for is for the engine to start being used for things it was never designed to do...that's when we'll see the true power of it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2004 8:06 am 

Wolfmann wrote:
I was being a wise ass. :-)

That's cool :D

I totally agree about not yet seeing the engine's full potential. It'll take some other game to make it really shine ... brightly (pun intended).

Gamma settings DO help, but it only goes so far before blacks become grey, then you just end up washing the whole game out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2004 8:37 am 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000

Obsidian wrote:
Wolfmann wrote:
I was being a wise ass. :-)

That's cool :D

I totally agree about not yet seeing the engine's full potential. It'll take some other game to make it really shine ... brightly (pun intended).

Gamma settings DO help, but it only goes so far before blacks become grey, then you just end up washing the whole game out.

They cheat a little bit. What video card do you have?

Can you imagine what it must look like on a DX7 card, where all the shadows are black...just turn them off.

Can't wait for HL2 and Quake IV though...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2004 9:12 am 
Willamette
Willamette

Wolfmann wrote:
What I'm waiting for is for the engine to start being used for things it was never designed to do...that's when we'll see the true power of it.

God and I hope Quake IV will do just that...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2004 10:09 am 

I played the first 1/2 of the game with a GeForce 5900XT from MSI ... then I got my XFX 6800GT and haven't looked back since :D ... wonderful card and it deserved the "Kick Ass" rating that Maximum PC gave it. But I got the dual-DVI version and they dinged it for not having dual DVI - yet mention in their article that it's available for a few dollars more ($10 more actually) ... so I don't see how that's a huge drawback.

One HUGE drawback was that it didn't come with a DVD player software package! $400 and I still have to "buy" DVD playing software :P

But I'm way off topic. The game looked ok with the 5900XT @ 1024x768, but looks great with the 6800GT at 1600x1200 ... however I prefer the great outdoors of Far Cry to the dark indoors of Doom 3 ... all gamma settings aside

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2004 11:03 am 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000

Obsidian wrote:
I played the first 1/2 of the game with a GeForce 5900XT from MSI ... then I got my XFX 6800GT and haven't looked back since :D ... wonderful card and it deserved the "Kick Ass" rating that Maximum PC gave it. But I got the dual-DVI version and they dinged it for not having dual DVI - yet mention in their article that it's available for a few dollars more ($10 more actually) ... so I don't see how that's a huge drawback.

One HUGE drawback was that it didn't come with a DVD player software package! $400 and I still have to "buy" DVD playing software :P

But I'm way off topic. The game looked ok with the 5900XT @ 1024x768, but looks great with the 6800GT at 1600x1200 ... however I prefer the great outdoors of Far Cry to the dark indoors of Doom 3 ... all gamma settings aside

Haven't tried Far Cry...what's it like? Like Delta Force, only prettier?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2004 11:29 am 

Far Cry is like Half Life meets a chain of tropical islands. It's almost the exact same storyline ... science meets mutants = bad for hero, kill all the mad scientist's henchmen and independent 3rd party mutants while saving the princess and yourself from certain doom.

It takes place mostly outdoors, it has really great AI and the weapon selection and sneaking aspects are fun if you like a little slower paced FPS. Vehicles are interactive and a blast. It’s got eye-candy too, hell, I’ve played it through 3 times already. And it’s a nice challenge too.

Toss in a little sarcastic humor and a splash personality from the Duke Nukem days and you have the hero. Where I'd rate Doom 3 a 6 out of 10 ... I rate Far Cry a 9 out of 10. With all the goodies turned on at 16x12 it's just a site to behold. The trees and plants look great and the lighting is impressive.