Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Tue Jul 22, 2014 6:58 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Any EQ players out there?
PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2004 7:50 pm 

Hi all. I am getting back into everquest after a 2 year absence (grad school :)). First though, I am going to be building a new pc. Any advice on what parts to use? I'm leaning towards AMD 3500 939, but I wouldn't mind spending less money on another proc that would play just as well. And for a card, I was leaning towards a 9800 pro for now, but will that cut it? Should I go for Intel because of the PCI? What are you guys using?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2004 3:23 pm 
[Team Member]
[Team Member]

PCI-E should be out shortly for AMD, if you can wait a bit before you build a game rig, if not, your choice is a good one so far. Get the 256 meg version of the 9800.

Read the reviews, AMD runs games better than Intel, however Intel runs office apps better than games.

Nasty

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 7:56 am 
hit it with a stick!

eq2 shipping nov 8th... they say

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 8:14 am 
Notched on both sides
Notched on both sides

Aye,
Go AMD for EQ - Got a 2500+ and 5950 nvidia video card.
Buddy has a 2.8 P4 and a 5950 nVidia video card- I get less lag than he does - we both run the same amount of ram (and same brand - Corsair)....

As far as video card goes - I agree - if you want it now - gonna have to go with ATI or go with the 6800 Ultra AGP....

Or wait for the PCI-Express stuff if you can...

nVidia = Happiness
Tuathal

Post subject: EQ Lag
PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2004 10:29 pm 

The problem with lag is not your friends equipment. It is however the shear number of people on any one EQ server, and possibly your freinds internet connection. You did not say what type of connection you had compared to your freinds connection.

One the original posters question of upgrade componets. Currently AMD has no plans to release any procs that support DDR2 and PCI-E together this year. If you want those techs, you will need to go with Intel. The advantage of AMD over Intel silicon in game apps is not that overwhelming. The biggest gap is with the video cards. ATIs' 12 pipeline card just can not compete with NVideas' 16 pipeline cards.

If you can best bet is to hold off till the christmas season starts. Maybe AMD will suprise us with a new proc spec.