Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Sat Nov 01, 2014 6:10 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Small thing in Doom 3 that makes no sense...
PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2004 10:25 am 
Coppermine
Coppermine

I'm not sure if this has been brought up before or not but I wondering if you guys have thought of the same thing

Why did the developers of Doom 3 not include flashlights on the guns?

Do you know how much of a pain in the ass it is to pull out your flashlight every time your in a dark area? :idea:

For example....you see a monster so you pull out your gun to kill the damn beast....as soon as you pull out the gun your flashlight goes away and everything turns pitch black...how the fuck are you suppose to shoot the monster when you can't see it :evil: ? So as your shooting at it your constantly switching to your flashlight to see where the creature is moving so you can shoot at it.....makes no sense

I realize Doom 3 was created to have a dark atmosphere but at least mount flashlights on the guns so people can see where the hell their going....I just can't believe they didn't notice this after they created the game....such a simple thing but changes the gameplay drastically

I actually stopped playing Doom 3 because of this reason hoping that somebody would come up with a mod to add flashlights to your weapons and about week or so later there was a whole bunch of mods that people created that added flashlights to your guns then I started playing again.....its funny how ID left it up to the end user to correct this problem

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2004 11:59 am 

I think they did it on purpose to add to the atmosphere. If the flashlight was added to the gun it would take away alot of the dark gloominess and make not as scary for people. Plus having to take out and out away the flashlight allows them to show off their lighting effects.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2004 1:50 pm 
Willamette
Willamette

theres a duct tape mod since tape might still exist in the future

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2004 4:21 pm 
Sharptooth
Sharptooth

dx11101 wrote:
theres a duct tape mod since tape might still exist in the future

he mentioned mods already... I was about to link him until I realized this. he's just stating something about the game. Not sure what to say about it... maybe make it more spooky?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2004 4:31 am 
Smithfield
Smithfield

I think they did this intentionally (flashlight or gun dilemma).

There was one cool scenario where all I could see was a creatures glowing eyes. If I had the flashlight on it would have ruined that moment. Also the level where there is a conveyor belt that had glowing pods with demons in them that lit your way through a passage. Again with the flashlight on it would have been lame.

Granted there were times where I wish I could see and shoot at the same time but I still applaud id for trying to reinvent the FPS... AGAIN!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2004 10:31 am 
Team Member
Team Member

I agree it was intentional...but the real question could be since you need to use the thing all the damn time, How do the batteries never die? I mean, one could say that they have developed everlasting gobstopper batteries, but then why the hell (no pun intended) would you ever need to reload the damn plasma rifle? Paradox I tell you!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2004 12:30 pm 
Coppermine
Coppermine

Quote:
I agree it was intentional...but the real question could be since you need to use the thing all the damn time, How do the batteries never die? I mean, one could say that they have developed everlasting gobstopper batteries, but then why the hell (no pun intended) would you ever need to reload the damn plasma rifle? Paradox I tell you!

Preach it Brother, Preach it!!!!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2004 3:59 pm 
Klamath
Klamath

There is a mod to have a flashlight on the weapons except the rocket launcher. I like FPS'ers, but not really good at them, so I opted for the flashlight on the weapons. You can get all sorts of mods at Doomfiles.com.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2004 6:24 pm 
Team Badger
Team Badger

magic beans

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2004 7:35 am 
Team Member
Team Member

The funniest thing however is how they justify having a chainsaw on a base on mars with nary a tree in sight but can't justify some of the other miniscule questions. Heck, I thought it was pretty funny how many e-mails in the game pertain to just why the hell is there a bunch of random chainsaws on mars...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2004 7:55 am 
Willamette
Willamette

What really doesn't make sense is this.

The scientists are working on a portal, right? We all see the portal in the game. It's where all the monsters come from, right?

So, if they are all arriving on the base at the location of the portal, how in the hell did the monsters acquire the ability to teleport to any location in the base after they arrived at the portal?

I mean, it would make sense that they all entered our world through the area in Delta Labs, which is where WE, the game player, go to Hell, right? That seems to be the place where the teleporting is occuring.

So, once teleported to the Mars base, how do the monsters then become able to teleport themselves to pretty much any location on the base, ie right in front of you, behind you, etc. It makes no sense at all.

I mean, if the monsters can teleport all by themselves, then they didn't even need the Mars scientists to make a portal then, right?

Thoughts..??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2004 10:09 am 
Team Member
Team Member

I think it is because once they have crossed into this dimension, they can teleport around from within it. However, this now leads us to wonder if they can teleport inside of our dimension, why do they have to wait for the ships to arrive from earth to get to earth? Hmmm, yet even more paradoxes I tell you! Oh well, best not to let your head explode (no pun intended...again) over it, just shoot the bastards!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2004 1:14 pm 

Maybe it's power limitations. They can teleport anywhere in the base because they're close to the portal, but Earth's too far away, and it would take too much power to get there.

Post subject: Thank you for saying this!
PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2004 5:10 pm 

On my weapon wish list is a helmet with a freakin light on it. After all it is the year twenty three something, isn't it?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2004 5:01 pm 
Willamette
Willamette

I would say the ruins under the mars base control the demons teleporting abilities. Some artifact or rune spell gives them the power to jump around. Since this is so, outside of the mars complex there are no ruins, hence they have to wait for the ship.

Doom 3, hell on earth (again) anyone?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2004 11:25 am 

So many game developers and reviews have said that lack of light is supposed to add to the horrific experience. :? I wasn't too scared by this game...I beat it within a week, then took it back to funcoland because it "didn't work on my computer" :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2004 5:37 am 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000

joshnorem wrote:
What really doesn't make sense is this.

The scientists are working on a portal, right? We all see the portal in the game. It's where all the monsters come from, right?

So, if they are all arriving on the base at the location of the portal, how in the hell did the monsters acquire the ability to teleport to any location in the base after they arrived at the portal?

I mean, it would make sense that they all entered our world through the area in Delta Labs, which is where WE, the game player, go to Hell, right? That seems to be the place where the teleporting is occuring.

So, once teleported to the Mars base, how do the monsters then become able to teleport themselves to pretty much any location on the base, ie right in front of you, behind you, etc. It makes no sense at all.

I mean, if the monsters can teleport all by themselves, then they didn't even need the Mars scientists to make a portal then, right?

Thoughts..??

The rift in the space-time continuum and Captain Picard said, "Make it so," and Scottie teleported behind and said "Look cap'n I canna make it so, I'm surrounded by a bunch of daft thingies."

It's the rift and the energy from the rift that allows them to teleport where they wish. Consider it a benefit of our dimensional travel curve being bent by their's. I believe Heisenberg accounts for it.

As for the flashlight...I doubt even Einstein could figure that one out. But you know...maybe they only have perpetual motion machines for batteries that suck power from the vacuum (and give the flashlight infinite power) but they interfere with their firearms.

You know...the Spit or Swallow Theorem of Relational Bullcrap.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2004 11:02 am 
Willamette
Willamette

Wolfmann wrote:

As for the flashlight...I doubt even Einstein could figure that one out. But you know...maybe they only have perpetual motion machines for batteries that suck power from the vacuum (and give the flashlight infinite power) but they interfere with their firearms.

lol. I would say Energizer batteries of the future really just do keep going and going and going and....