Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Thu Dec 18, 2014 4:39 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Is Mechwarrior Dead?
PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 3:27 pm 
BANNED
BANNED

I am a huge fan of the mechwarrior games...but i noticed no new games have been released for a long time now. Does anyone know if this series is dead with microsoft? or is it just a new one under long delopment.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 3:30 pm 
King of All Voodoo2 Cards

Mechwarrior 2 0wn3d

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 3:42 pm 
BANNED
BANNED

I meant that after Mech 4 merc i havent seen anyhting since

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 4:10 pm 

Mechwarrior 2 still 0wn3d

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 4:10 pm 
Willamette
Willamette

http://pc.ign.com/articles/390/390490p1.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2004 8:52 am 

Damn...I was a really huge fan of the Mechwarrior games too. How sad. I guess I will have to go back and replay those old mechwarrior games now...starting with mechwarrior 1.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2004 1:06 am 
Boy in Black
Boy in Black

Ironic really. I just fired up Mercs last night and was thinking the same thing. Even 4 feels really dated now.

Oh, and MW2 0wn3d!

Post subject: Heck No, MW ain't dead!!!
PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2004 4:00 am 

I played MW4 Mercs against my Wife for over 2 hours last night. I play it on Gamespy at least monthly. I know what you are saying, though. With no new games coming out in the series and w/ not even patches out for the old, is the death of the MW Franchise? I would say it is like the AvP Franchise, both will always be alive if we keep the memory of them in our hearts and images of them on our hard drives for late night nostalgic gamin. AvP was dead for years and now the movie is out replenishing the Franchise w/ new money and fans. Hopefully they will come back w/ an encore game w/ some fresh blood. Maybe fate has something similar in mind for MW.
Enough Ranting out me, happy surfing!
Strive

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2004 7:37 am 
Smithfield
Smithfield

MW3 RULES! MW4 SUCKS!

I haven't found out how to skip the little movies. The missions are kind of wimpy. The loadouts are dumb. The characters are lame. (sigh) Maybe just as well they haven't released any new scenarios.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2004 6:16 am 

go MW2 ya!!!! wooo!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2004 5:41 pm 

Well it's not really dead at all lot's of people still playing it in leagues. NBT,with about 2000 people still playing and MWL with about 4000 people playing also groups like mektek made mekpack1 20 new mech and lot of new weapons +mekpack 2 is dew out this week with 25+ mech.Also lots of new single player mission put out by alpha strike and it all free.Hear are some pic of mechpack 2http://members.shaw.ca/Wandering_samurai/MP2_pics.htmlhttp://www.centralguardalliance.com/mp2/Screeniesmp2/page_01.htm[/list]

Last edited by stuartx13 on Wed Oct 06, 2004 2:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2004 7:41 pm 
Willamette
Willamette

mechwarrior isnt dead(mechcommander probably is), they are just waiting longer to release the next sequel. Instead of making little strides here and there. The next game will likely be like the difference between doom II and doom III well not really, but the difference between mechwarrior 3 and mechwarrior 4 wasnt that much it was considerable but not revolutionary.....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2004 1:21 pm 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000

dx11101 wrote:
mechwarrior isnt dead(mechcommander probably is), they are just waiting longer to release the next sequel. Instead of making little strides here and there. The next game will likely be like the difference between doom II and doom III well not really, but the difference between mechwarrior 3 and mechwarrior 4 wasnt that much it was considerable but not revolutionary.....

Ah well. I guess I can occasionally post here as well as on Delphi.

Considering the amount of material that has been hopping platforms between PC/X-Box/Virtual World it should be almost no surprise that MW5 was axed at present.

For those not aware, MechWarrior4 was supposed to, originally, be MechWarrior3. Unfortunately, FASA Interactive (the precursor to FASA Studio) was still a fairly new commercial software development house at the time. And they were eyeball-deep in the original MechCommander.

I was lucky enough to get a tour of FASA Interactive at the time. They were back-porting software from the Virtual World BattleTech pods down to work on a regular 3D accellerated PC. Now, for those of you who aren't familiar with the pods, essentially they were P90 and PPro200 machines in an 8-node network. The thing that set them apart was the $10,000/per pod graphics system (which also made it damn hard to sell the pod franchises).

Now at the time, I saw some of the early ports of VW code from their RedPlanet (racing) game. It was impressive, but DEFINITELY not production quality, or even pretty.

As the deadline for MW3 approached, Microprose took a long hard look at FIT and came to the decision that there was no way they were going to get both MW3 AND MechCommander out the door on time. So they yanked the development of MW3 from FIT and handed the contract over to Zipper Interactive who delivered a completely different product than what FIT had been working on which had ZERO Virtual World code in it.

Meanwhile, MechCommander was finished, shoved, and development began anew on the VW code.

Also, during this time, Virtual World was working on their next-generation of pods. What emerged was not quite as functional as the previous generation (the original "Tesla" pods had literally hundreds of control parameters, all of which were user-accessible, though it was VERY rare for anyone to use them ALL).

Unfortunately, during this time, the parent company, the FASA Corporation closed it's doors. At the time, the future of BattleTech and MechWarrior was VERY uncertain. However, a few things happened.
  1. Microsoft had already asserted itself as a controlling interest in FASA Interactive (after being a silent partner for several years). So FIT continued on as FASA Studios.
  2. WizKids, a new(er) gaming company founded by Jordan Weismann (one of the guys who started up FASA and one of the inventors of BattleTech) bought the IP to the BattleTech/MechWarrior boardgame properties.

MechWarrior became the name of their next click-base boardgame. MechWarrior: DarkAge.
  3. The rights to the original BattleTech boardgame were licensed to FanPro, L.L.C., a wholly owned subsidiary of Fantasy Productions (a German company who had been doing translation and overseas development on FASA novels and the FASA "Shadowrun" properties for years). The name "BattleTech" was retired and the term for the game became "Classic BattleTech".

MW4 was released, and after a while, the new "Tesla II" pods were released. They got a hefty processor upgrade (P4 1.8 in the original machines in Chicago's Dave & Buster's facility), and their video systems were vastly simplified (3 high-end nVidia video cards to control the monitors). The system was dubbed "Firestorm".

Currently, all but one commercial site in the US are sporting the Tesla II pods.

There two locations in the US still sporting the "System 3" (pre Tesla) equipment. One is in California, the other is the VGL Underground site (and BattleTech Archive) in Kalamazoo, Michigan.

Additionally, there are a couple of overseas sites (Australia(x2), and China that are sporting original Tesla equipment.

Locations for the VW BattleTech pods can be found here: http://www.virtualworld.com/main/sites/

Shortly thereafter, the last "upgrades" for MW4 came, MechWarrior 4: Black Knight and MW4: Mercenaries. Lots of graphical tweaks, a few engine tweaks for smoother gameplay, etc.

As of right now, MW5 is on hiatus, with other games, like the MechAssault series, taking precedence.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2004 2:28 pm 

Like i said Mektek is puting out mech pack 2(1 came out last nov) and will have 30new mech and weapons + all the old ones it should be out this friday. screen shots are in my post above.mirosoft has aprove of what thay are doing and even ask to see some of there work, by the way its free.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2004 5:15 pm 

NEW mech out this weekend for free[list=]Anniihilator Commando Crab Cyclops GrimReaper Hollander Rifleman Tenchi Brigand BlackHawk BlkLanner Canis Dasher Deimos Grizzly JennerIIc Orion Solitare WartHog[list=]ImageImage[/list]http://www.centralguardalliance.com/mp2/Screeniesmp2/page_01.htm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2004 8:07 pm 

I've no idea what their terms were with FASA (now demised) but perhaps they're quiet because they're confering with WizKids over some MW:DA game. I don't know.... all I know is I hate the new game, I hate Mage Knights, and I sure as heck hate the whole regression plot that led to the new games setting... so hopefully the series is dead if it can't be preserved in 1990s purity. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2004 5:31 pm 

Well if you like mw4 merc try the new mech pack 99% of the people still playing are use it lots of new mech and weapons.It is at www.mektek.con or www.mektek.net