Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Sat Aug 30, 2014 7:01 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Multiplayer Games
PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2004 1:26 pm 
Klamath
Klamath

Is it just me or do most of the multiplayer online versions of games suck? Farcry is a great game but the multiplayer sucks, I here doom3's multi player is not very good either. I keep going back to BF 1942 which I think has the best multiplayer game.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2004 3:53 pm 
Boy in Black
Boy in Black

That's two games out of many. Hard to say that they all suck based on that. Basically, "all the new games that are being hyped have MP that suck".

Not many games put any real thought into the MP arena. I can agree as a business as I don't want to support this game for 2 or 3 years because that costs me money and time. Halflife was the greatest in longevity basically because Sierra focused on the game, while others worked on TFC...and yet another worked on Counterstrike, spawning the largest and arguably the best MP series there will ever be.

Some companies just tripped across good MP'ing. COD has a base of very few official maps. The fact that people are still playing (like me) is surely an accident...or due to the gameplay itself, and not much more. BF:1942 was good for it's cheesy-ness IMO. I believe that the SP was never a major factor in the design, but rather a selling point (who'd by an online only game??) Being that the bots/SP team mates are as smart as worms, I can hardly think much time went into SP at all. The Vietnam edition just picked up the followers from the original to keep it fresh.

Then you get into warcraft and all those types of games that draw more passionate fans. Silent Hunter II/Destroyer Command is set to have SHIII/DCII to release sometime soon. Flight Sims are another aspect that we can't overlook.

I can spend the entire weekend as a captain of a Nazi U-boat hunting tincans, hop into an A-10 with my wingman and clear a route for 6 F-15's, then head into COD and take guard our 88's, then wind down the night with a game of spades in Hoyle online. I can hardly say that MP games suck. You just have to try more than two games.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2004 4:34 pm 
Klamath
Klamath

Yea I suppose your right. It just seems that the new ones coming out don't do a very good job with MP. I played TW99 for a couple years with good online play even though the graphics were nothing to write home about. Maybe I just need to find something other than FPS games. EA has done a great job with bf1942 and was able to spin off a couple expansion packs that must have been good for business. Farcry could have been a great MP. I'll give SHIII/DCII a try when they come out since you seem to like SHII. Hopefully HL2 will rock but all the hype may turn it into another disappointment.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2004 7:24 pm 
Team Member
Team Member

I think I might have to give Silent Hunter 3 a try when it's released. Man, I remember playing the hell out of Silent Service, for the NES, for hours!

I have never been big on FPS on-line play. Most games on-line MP seem to rarely hold my attention for very long. Probably due in part to the fact that I only play enough to get good, and not uber l33t.

I did spend a good amount of time playing the Day Of Deafeat mod for Half-Life. That game really impressed me with it's quasi-realism, class interdependancy, and clever maps. I have been currently playing, and really enjoying, is Unreal Tournament 2004. The only mode I play is Onslaught, and what an ass kicking team based game that is. Nicely balanced weapons, and vehicles add to the atmosphere of what has to be, hands down, some of the most fun I have had playing online MP games.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2004 10:59 pm 
Boy in Black
Boy in Black

JOKERSWILD wrote:
I'll give SHIII/DCII a try when they come out since you seem to like SHII.
Carful there...you may find sitting on the bottom of the ocean floor for 15-20 minutes pretty boring!

I don't have the Sept. Issue setting by me, but it listed an MP only game that looked pretty in depth. It's in the review section....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2004 3:29 am 
Klamath
Klamath

I take it you mean Joint Ops. Typhoon Rising. I don't know how I missed that review, it sounds like a great game.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2004 8:21 am 
Java Junkie
Java Junkie

Yes, a multi-player add-on to a single-player game often sucks. CoD is a good exception to the rule, but generally .. a single-player game is made to be played by ... a single player!

:P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2004 11:04 pm 
Boy in Black
Boy in Black

JOKERSWILD wrote:
I take it you mean Joint Ops. Typhoon Rising. I don't know how I missed that review, it sounds like a great game.
LOL...dunno still. I'm too lazy to drag my mags in from the Jeep. I think I better take a walk out there and get it 'cause I really want to start getting into a serious game like that. The way it sounded, stratagy played a big part, so I'd like to find a good couple wingman and get to roll'n. I've just played the holy hell out of all my games and need something new.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 3:49 pm 
Thunderbird
Thunderbird

Perhaps consider city of heros. I've heard that's pretty entertaining... and slightly multiplayer. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 4:04 pm 
Klamath
Klamath

Thanks for the replies I'll have to try some of the suggested games.

Post subject: Re: Multiplayer Games
PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 4:18 pm 
King of All Voodoo2 Cards
King of All Voodoo2 Cards

JOKERSWILD wrote:
Is it just me or do most of the multiplayer online versions of games suck?

UT2K4 0wnZ!!!!!!

Even better online