Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Fri Sep 19, 2014 4:53 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: heh, someone must regret this
PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2004 4:41 pm 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000

Just saw this on the [H] forums, thought I'd share :) Spelling errors are not my fault or responsibility ;)

the_village_treky wrote:
i was cleaning out my room today(ie: stacks of 15 yearold HW and hundreds of mags) and found this little jem from maximum PC from augest 2003. here is what the cover said

"HALF-LIFE 2"
It's the GAME OF THE YEAR!
But can your videocard play its ground-breaking graphis?"

ok, fair enough. i look through to see what they were saying a year ago this month

here is the opening box, over a screen of a strider about to impail some guys running away, the title is "It's comeing.(hl2 logo)
CAN YOU HANG?":
Does your pc have enough juice to run Half-life 2? It's the upgrading question of the year, and only we have the answer-along with the juicy analysis of the games stunning visual efects. Behold the majasty!
if you're like us, you've been waiting more than two years for a true programmable shadder spectical. A no-compromises tripple-A title that's got it all: gameplay, suspense, and knock-you-on-your-ass visuals that validate the promise of programmable videocards
many of us thought the holy grail of programmable shader games would be doom3-especially after a rough but breathtaking demo of the game was leaked on the internet. but Valve softare announced that Half-life 2 would be released on septtember 30 this year, and attention sifted from Carmack's next tour de force. (doom3 doesn't have a release date, and we dont espect it in time for the holidays.).....

later in the artical it has a sidebare on doom 3, which ends

"The releasdate for doom3 is still "when it's done," but we dont expect to see it untill early 2004. guess this extends half-life2's half-life by quite a while!

after fliping through this im thinking "WOW, exept for doom 3(which is ironic in itself) we are exactly whare we were a year ago (exept w/ better hardware ). i thought this was kinda funny, especialy the hole thing about "hl2 being realsed so much earlyer than doom 3" anywhay, just thought id share that

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2004 6:17 pm 
Team Member Top 500
Team Member Top 500

kinda funny, but maximum pc is a very respected mag among pc enthusiasts.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2004 9:13 pm 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000

I never said it wasn't. I just wonder if the author would willingly admit to his incredibly bad prediction and eat a little humble pie :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2004 4:23 am 
Smithfield
Smithfield

Wasn't the delay of HL2 due to the leak of the source code? If it wasn't for that it might have come out at that time.

And in all fareness. id Software has always maintained a "when it's done" stance on all their stuff so nobody knows when it would come out. I suspect not even Carmack knew it would be out by now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2004 10:23 am 
Master Overclocker
Master Overclocker

athlon11 wrote:
kinda funny, but maximum pc is a very respected mag among pc enthusiasts.

it is? it is a very good information tool maybe, but not by far anywhere near a pc persons bible or anything

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2004 11:17 am 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000

Satchboy wrote:
Wasn't the delay of HL2 due to the leak of the source code? If it wasn't for that it might have come out at that time.

And in all fareness. id Software has always maintained a "when it's done" stance on all their stuff so nobody knows when it would come out. I suspect not even Carmack knew it would be out by now.

I honestly don't see the code leak as being an overly valid excuse. Any serious coding shop would have been running the code through a CVS system so any and all changes could be tracked and undone if necessary. I highly doubt Valve scrapped the stolen code and rewrote it from scratch. Using the excuse that because someone stole the code they might find ways to cheat and valve now needs to go look for holes to fix, well they should have been doing that anyway. It plain and simply wasn't finished, and still isn't.

My point was that the 'prediction' was the HL2 would be out months before D3, giving it ample space to sell. Well D3 is out now, 1 year later, and HL2 is only just barely into public beta testing. Carmack saying it "when it's done" is the smartest release prediction any coder can make. You never know what things might show up during the testing process. Hell for all we know with the stolen code maybe when you hit level 2 it formated your HDD ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2004 5:39 am 
Smithfield
Smithfield

I didn't say anything about starting from scratch. I merely implied that they would have to rework some of the code to thwart hacker/security issues.

But to be fair, taking a whole year to do this is a bit extreme if it is a valid excuse.