Maximum PC

It is currently Fri Aug 29, 2014 6:59 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: New Trend: Massive Big Screen Gaming in Movie Theaters
PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2004 11:37 am 
Contributing Writer
Contributing Writer

New Trend: Big Screen Gaming http://www.aliceandbill.com
North Logan Utah of all places has stumbled onto a major new gaming trend - big screen tourneys at $60 per team of four or $3 per spectator. They took a movie theater, hooked up some XBoxes and went large.

According to MSNBC: "Cinefour theaters in North Logan started a new trend Friday night in video gaming in Cache Valley. Theater managers took four video projectors, set one up in each of four theaters with a Microsoft XBox video game system connected to it, and then let the fun begin for more than 60 people.

"'Tonight blew our minds,' theater co-owner Calvin Timothy said afterward. 'We're definitely going to keep doing this.'

"The game Friday night: 'Halo' a first-person shoot-em-up game in which four people can play on a team against four others. The evening was set up in a tournament format where 16 teams battled each other until the wee hours of Saturday morning to find out who the kings of gaming are in the valley.

"Rick Shurtliff said he drove to Logan from Bountiful just to play in the tournament. He said he often plays four to five hours a night with his friends anyway, so to play it on a huge screen makes it that much better. 'This is going to revolutionize game play,' he said."

We predict this is only the begnning.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2004 11:55 am 
Team Member Top 500
Team Member Top 500

ive kind of done this before. my school is pretty rich, so they have a huge projector in the auditorium. we hooked up a ps2 to it when we had a baseball overnighter and played on a 15 foot tall screen.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2004 12:07 pm 
Contributing Writer
Contributing Writer

We have our PS2 in the office hooked up to a data projector. Works great for Grand Theft Auto!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2004 1:20 pm 
Northwood
Northwood

a theater in toronto tried that back in the nes days but it didn't go over too good...they wanted $10(CAN) for half an hour.

if my friends and I could have booked a couple of hrs it would have been worth it but they would only do half an hour at a time :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2004 6:34 am 
INFINITE vCORE
INFINITE vCORE

Damn, we tried to do this like 9 years ago, but the tech wasn't up to snuff...

Back when I worked at a cinema/cafe with two screens and a couple of digital projectors...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2004 8:44 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

Oh man, I can just imagine playing Need for speed in 1st person on a screen that big..... I've gotta talk to the theater down here... !

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2004 8:00 pm 

At our school we had a LAN party to raise money for out robotics team, we set up 4 XBoxs for 16 player gaming. Each XBox had a 100" screen, it was amazing. (and very profitable :))