Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Thu Oct 02, 2014 3:13 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Command & Conquer Red Alert Replacement
PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 2:43 pm 

My son and I have been playing C&C RA2, but I broke the setup when I tried tinkering with adding Yuri's Revenge. We really like the game, but I really don't want to go through the hassle of reinstalling everything again to play the few limited maps on RA2. We still can't get Yuri to work. Plus...let's face it...The game is 13 YEARS OLD! The graphics suck compared to today's games.

SO, I'm not really a gamer and I'm not too familiar with what's out there. I was wondering if you guys could suggest something similar to C&C RA2 that my son and I could play. He's 8. We don't want to do a whole lot of "background managing" of supplies and stuff like that. We really just want to blow stuff up with tanks and jets.

Anyone have suggestions? We really just want to stick to our LAN for play. A game that comes with a "guest" disk for a 2nd player would also be nice.

I was thinking Age of Empires or Civilization, but I don't really know much about either.

Thanks,
WB

Post subject: Re: Command & Conquer Red Alert Replacement
PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 5:01 pm 
Team Member Top 10
Team Member Top 10

Location: back on the right side of the middle of the left side YES i'm folding
both are excellent games, civ is a little harder and more modern and takes more micromanagement. try steam dont deal with disks at all there is also a free to play empires game I have seen advertised lately that looks pretty good.the empire games are less modern, no jets or tanks, but civ lets you work up to modern weapons, nukes, bombers, crusers, battleships, carriers and so on.

Last edited by g.m.waters (red ranger3) on Wed Jul 31, 2013 5:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 5:06 pm 

Thanks. I'll look into those more. Do you think they're playable for an 8 year old? He pretty good at C&C, but is still learning about strategy.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 5:46 pm 
Team Member Top 10
Team Member Top 10

Location: back on the right side of the middle of the left side YES i'm folding
I think a good start might be age of empires to learn strategy. there are three age games I II III. as I remember the highest tech is cannons. civ is a sort of real life game, you have to develope a whole civilization from beginning to end, you would like it yourself but an 8 year old might be overwhelmed with all the details, building cities managing money and resources, research and so on. I have, and play both games although age of empires not so much lately.

look into world of tanks. arma, arma2 the arma games are free military simulations.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 6:46 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

The Age of Empire series may be more up your alley. There is some more resource gathering you have to do and more advanced tech-tree based stuff, but it's not too much of a difficulty curve. Civilization has a lot of nicknacks and things to micromanage, but it's turn based.

Other games to consider:
  • C&C complete collection. If you still want C&C
  • Act of War. I think this is about the closest to a C&C game that isn't a C&C game
  • World at War. It's a bit more tactical than C&C, but none the less you don't have to worry about base building and resource gathering.
  • Company of Heroes. A really good RTS game that focuses more on unit strategy and tactics than base building. It has a simple tech tree like C&C with upgrades you can get.

If you want to get into some more advanced RTS games, the Total War series (it's RTS for the battles) and Sins of a Solar Empire.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 8:19 am 

Thanks for all of the great suggestions.

Looks like we have several options to try out!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 9:07 pm 

Age of Empires II: The Age of Kings (preferably The Conquerors expansion) all the way. I was fine but the graphics and dynamics are a bit off and II tweaked that. III was not the same game, not by a mile, so I'd stay away. Age of Empires II has a free HD patch for the retail version which also adds some nice features. The patch also fixes LAN play which is difficult to use otherwise. I'd advise staying away from the Steam version as it had some serious issues, doesn't have LAN play, and the retail version works without issue on Win 7. With Age of Kings LAN play only one player (out of a maximum of 8) needs to have a CD in the drive to play. The resource management in Age of Empires is none too intense, it is a real-time game, and while a player can micro-manage he doesn't have to in order to play.

I'm confident that your 8 year old can manage this game as I was playing it when I was about the same age (as well as Red Alert: C&C I lol).

Of course, none of the Age of Empires will give you tanks and jets.

If you want tanks and jets I suggest the first Empire Earth (available DRM free at GOG.com) and its expansion. The retail version had some issues with win7. Empire Earth is made by many of the people who made Age of Empires and allows RTS gamers to battle in any subset of times from the time of cavemen through a robotic-filled future. This includes jet and tank laden eras like WW1, WW2 and "modern". This game also has non-intensive resource management. In fact, this has some of the easiest resource management as resources almost never run out: the stone/gold/iron mines would take literally days of gameplay to exhaust. This is a somewhat radical shift in RTS gameplay. This game uses blocky 3d graphics (which aren't that bad when zoomed out; one of the gimmicks of the game is that players can "zoom in to eye level" with their soldiers) but has native HD support. However when playing the game you might want to "zoom out" further than the game allows. I have not found an answer to this but it is not game breaking.

Also, Age of Mythology is fun. No jets, but it has fighting robots and the ability to call down lightning from the heavens which might be as fun.

I'd recommend staying away from Steam. There are a slew of RTSes that don't use it and Steam is not only a hassle as it requires buying multiple copies of the games but many games I've found (perhaps because it circumvents having to buy multiple copies) do not have true LAN play: too many Steam games require you to have a connection to Valve in order to play games between 2 computers in the same house. I just don't see the point in that.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 5:18 am 

Thanks for all the responses. I didn't know that much about Steam. I think I'll avoid it for now.

I went with the Ultimate C&C collection. Found it for $20/copy online. Just waiting for the discs to arrive.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 1:36 am 

This game is way awesome, i have played the age of empire its nice but Red Alert is way better then that. Let tell you some suggentions in red alert 2 try putting tesla solders or sniper in IFV vehicle. If you have beat this game or board from it then try Command & Conquer Genrals or Command & Conquer Tiberium War these two games are sick and have way advance technology in them.