Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Fri Mar 27, 2015 1:04 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Recording pc gameplay
PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 10:24 am 

Hi guys, I want to record some footage of some custom zombies maps on call of duty world at war (might put them on YouTube) on my laptop but I'm not really sure what the best way to record/compress/edit e.t.c. is. I have nvidia shadow play which I know I can use for things like csgo (I've done very little recording in the past and I left that in the raw format) but w@w is not on the supported games list. I did some googling and there are so many ways to record and edit and the compressing thing looked a little confusing. Could you please offer some advice (in what programs to use and how to use them) or point me towards any relevant threads that will answer my question. Also do they record audio at the same time or will I have to commentate after? And what about mouse clicks/keyboard strokes? I am using an Asus g750js laptop with 16gb ram, a 128gb ssd and a 1tb hdd.

Sorry for all the questions but many thanks to anyone who helps.

Post subject: Re: Recording pc gameplay
PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 10:51 am 
Smithfield
Smithfield

I haven't dabbled into this too much but here's what I do know and options I can give you.

• Use FRAPS. It'll only do it for a minute unless you get the paid version
  • Some broadcasting software can also save a local copy. I know LiveStream did this, but the quality can be meh depending on the material.
  • If you're wanting higher quality recordings, are willing to spend some money, and you have access to another computer, I'd suggest getting a HDMI capture device and use your laptop's HDMI port. Clone the view and have the other computer record the footage. You could probably do this anyway with the laptop by itself, though. The HDMI capture device will handle the heavy lifting too.

As for commentating, you can do it at the same time by setting your microphone in Windows' audio settings to "Listen to this microphone". This will inject the microphone into the output mix. I don't know how well this works in practice though.