Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 1:32 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Change Gmod Add-on location to HDD
PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:47 pm 

I have a SSD and HDD in my computer. I was wondering if there is a way to have Garry's Mod store it's add-ons on the HDD while having Gmod stay on my SSD. Basically I don't want the add-ons taking up valuable space on my SSD and still remain functional in the game while on my other drive. As well I would like them to download to the folder on the HDD so I don't have to transfer them all the time. Thanks in advance.

Post subject: Re: Change Gmod Add-on location to HDD
PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:57 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/16226/co ... -or-linux/

This is something everyone should know! (I don't mean this in a mean way)

If you don't want to sift through that though:
Spoiler: show
  1. Move the add-on folder somewhere you want
  2. Open up command prompt as an administrator (Start -> All Programs -> Accessories, right click on "Command Prompt" and select "Run as Administrator")
  3. Go to the directory where Gmod is
  4. Type in "mklink -j <name of add-on folder> <directory where add-on folder is>"

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:10 pm 

Ok. I just got my computer and when I go into "computer" it says I have 23GB left out of 111GB. I have a Samsung 120GB SSD. I literally just got my computer. If I do this hard link thing will it show that I have more room left on my SSD? Because I know windows will sometimes give you a warning saying your storage is low or something.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:38 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

No. Free space is resolved by whatever drive letter is resolved by Windows.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:52 pm 

umm I had trouble following that. Sorry. How exactly does it resolve it? I mean I don't want to be doing these hardlinks and then not be able to utilize the space that they were talking up on my SSD.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 7:24 pm 

I don't know what kind of link I should make either. The hard link option isn't showing up when I select "drop as". I just want to free up space without causing problems with my games of files.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 7:45 pm 

It says hardlinks can only be created within one NTFS volume. It cant span across NTFS volumes.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:07 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

I'll admit I just saw the article, briefly looked at it, and pasted it. And that article is probably wrong, as this snippet from Wikipedia shows:

Quote:
Symbolic links are different from hard links. Hard links do not link paths on different volumes or file systems, whereas symbolic links may point to any file or directory irrespective of the volumes on which the link and target reside. Hard links always refer to an existing file, whereas symbolic links may contain an arbitrary path that does not point to anything.

And if you want to know the jist of what a symbolic link is:
Quote:
A symbolic link contains a text string that is automatically interpreted and followed by the operating system as a path to another file or directory. This other file or directory is called the "target". The symbolic link is a second file that exists independently of its target. If a symbolic link is deleted, its target remains unaffected. If a symbolic link points to a target, and sometime later that target is moved, renamed or deleted, the symbolic link is not automatically updated or deleted, but continues to exist and still points to the old target, now a non-existing location or file. Symbolic links pointing to moved or non-existing targets are sometimes called broken, orphaned, dead, or dangling.

In layman's terms, a symbolic link is essentially another kind of shortcut to a file or directory. You want to use a symbolic link, not a hard link.

And about the whole free space thing, say you have a symbolic link directory junction named Foobar in C:\ that points to D:\Foobar. When you open up Foobar, Explorer will say C:\Foobar. But anything you do in here doesn't affect the C:\ partition, it goes to D:\Foobar transparently. But since Explorer (or any program) thinks it's still in C:\, it will use C:\'s stats for looking up free space, not D:\'s.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 2:37 pm 

Ok I'm looking into that now. Another problem I have is I reformatted my HDD and mounted it to a folder on my C drive. Now some of my files say something about the file path A:/ obviously this problem has occured because A:/ no longer exists. Is there a way I can delete everything with an A:/ path type or name or whatever? I need to download AutoCAD for school and since I had it installed on drive A:/ the only folder it will let me browse to install it is A:/. It also says that AutoCAD is already installed and won't even let me re-install it.