c)the game is beautiful

c)I love monsters

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2004 5:21 pm 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000

Inglburt wrote:
now.

IMHO between the Doom 3 and Half-Life 2 showdown that will happen when HL2 is released. Half-Life 2 has Doom 3 beat hands down. This is based on me reading tons of information on Half-Life 2 (and Doom 3, plus playing Doom 3) and seeing all the videos and such. I think HL2 is going to be much better than D3 ever was. Both games are top notch in my book though. HL2 is going to win the "Game of the Year"! :)

:-)
Dave

Yes, it will be no contest with HL2. Like I say, Far Cry is probably my favorite right now. And I think it's because of being outside, but I like the graphics in Far Cry as much or more than D3.[/quote]

There is NO comparison between Doom 3 and Far Cry’s graphics. OMG Far Cry is stunningly Beautiful. So, I definitely agree with you on that for sure. I have solved D3, now I am working on Call of Duty and next will be Far Cry to solve. I am just so addicted to Call of Duty right now. :) I got Doom 3 and Far Cry free when I bought my BFG 6800oc videocard.

:-)
Dave

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2004 5:12 am 
Smithfield
Smithfield

There's two ways of rating this game.

The first is obviously what you wanted out of the game. (Graphics, gameplay, design, fun factor) In that regard the graphics and level design were great but the gameplay was merely okay. The fun factor wore off after a couple of hours of repetative play too. I'd rate it a 7.0 using this criteria.

The second is what id wanted out of this game. Namely a tech demo of what their 3d engine can do. So I'd rate it a 10 on this criteria.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2004 10:15 am 
Little Foot
Little Foot

7/10. It has nice graphics, but it's pretty repetitive.
All the action consists of:
Open door, look around, shoot.

pretty dark to my taste, and the second time toy play it, it loses all the excitment and it becomes pretty predictable. I had to finish it in god mode, because it never ended.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2004 4:14 pm 
Klamath
Klamath

I give it an 8/10.
I don't play FPS games that much so I can't compare to others, but Doom 3 rocks. When I played the game, I turned off all the lights except a little lamp so I can see the keyboard. Between the sounds and music, and the monsters, it would give me chills at times. At first I was blown away, but towards the end, it got predictable. If and when id software updates the game or mods it, it should be more unpredictable, scarier, and reacts to the gamer's actions.

graphics are really good
storyline is OK
gameplay is good

Post subject: D3
PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2004 5:58 pm 

I think, though I'm still in the middle of it, that the monsters were sort of repetition of the old theme. I also thought that they were trying to copy HL a little. -Just an aside, I was showing my wife how cool the mirror in the bathroom was when a beast came at me from behind! We both jumped out of our skin. That's just cool.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2004 8:39 am 
Team Member
Team Member

Using the Gamespot Method:

Graphics: 10
Sound: 8
Gameplay: 9
Value: 8
My Tilt: 10
Average: 9.0

Heres why. Doom gets a 10 due to the fact that this game is more than just a standalone game. The new engine developed for it will have so many future appl;ications it makes my head spin. The game itself is just a run of the mill FPS. After a while you know exactly what is going to trigger certain events (usually a monster spawning) and you are prepared. It suffers in the sound department (before mods people) because weapons sound very tinny and weak. It suffers in the gameplay department due to the fact that after you get over the initial shock of how ambiently intense this title is, it simply becomes way too dark. More options should have been added out of the box to give more light. Someone in another thread I started stated that there should have been flares to help ligth a room up for a small duration of time. I think that is a great Idea. I titled toward a ten since I don't hink anyone can say that they were dissapointed right away after installing it and firing it up for the first time. In other words, play it! But only play it more than once if you have significanlt upgraded your machine and really want a thourough benchmark that you can see.