Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Wed Aug 27, 2014 3:55 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Why is Doom III disappointing.
PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2004 10:05 am 
M-Powered
M-Powered

• Because it was over hyped for years.
  • Because according to hype, the emphasis was on graphics, yet player models are very blocky under those plastic-shine bump maps.
  • Texture quality is inconsistent, some are high-res, and some are low res and fuzzy, no better then Quake III.
  • Gameplay is too linear, too rudimentary, and brings nothing new to the genre. (other then the personal PDA w/ emails and audio logs)
  • Scary only initially… after a while, the way monsters pop up from shadows and hidden rooms is too predictable.
  • No advancements made in the variety of monsters (no physical characteristic / facial / clothing variables)
  • Player actions do not affect the course of the game/story in any meaningful way – basic pre-scripted events.
  • Out of the box, the multiplayer game is seriously lacking, once again, only an after-thought.

Don't get me wrong though, I still like the game but it's not really revolutionary, and suffers from the same downfalls as most other single-player fps games, which really diminishes it's replayability value.

Post subject: Re: Why is Doom III disappointing.
PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2004 10:54 am 

maxx wrote:

[list][*]Because it was over hyped for years.

that's what i think game developers hate. if they've made a game that was too great in previous versions. it's hard to perfect the already great. people are expecting a lot from id because they've made some wonders before and once their games are not revolutionary, they are not much appreciated. and that's why Far Cry is loved by so many people since Crytek was not famous before and it's amazing that a rookie team can make such nice graphics and game play.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2004 11:13 am 
Team Member Top 500
Team Member Top 500

think about what a rookie team did in the past. half life was the rookie effort by valve and is still considered to be the best game ever made.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2004 2:33 pm 
I am not my computer's stats

athlon11 wrote:
think about what a rookie team did in the past. half life was the rookie effort by valve and is still considered to be the best game ever made.

HL2 is probably going to do the same. Only thing Im really looking forward to doing is using the "pick up" gun and throwing bodies around. I will get days of fun out of that figuring new ways to hits things with bodies :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2004 2:49 pm 
Team Member Top 500
Team Member Top 500

yea, it sounds fun, personally i cant wait for hls and halo2. im most excited for halo2 as to me halo is the best game i have ever played.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2004 5:57 pm 
Team Badger
Team Badger

face it, it couldn't have lived up to expectations(maybe mine), it would have been impossible.

I'll prolly buy it, despite how I came off in those other threads that led to me getting gagged, I still think it looks cool and hear SP is badass.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2004 11:22 pm 

JC wrote:
face it, it couldn't have lived up to expectations(maybe mine), it would have been impossible.

I'll prolly buy it, despite how I came off in those other threads that led to me getting gagged, I still think it looks cool and hear SP is badass.

Im only at the beginning, and I have NEVER not wanted to walk through a door in a game....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2004 9:04 am 
Team Badger
Team Badger

Yep, right now I'm at Alpha labs Sector 4

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 5:01 pm 

can't wait to see the mods.... rates 9.0

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2004 10:32 am 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000

maxx wrote:
Don't get me wrong though, I still like the game but it's not really revolutionary, and suffers from the same downfalls as most other single-player fps games, which really diminishes it's replayability value.

I think your expectations were just too high. :-P

All I wanted from Doom 3 was a tight, polished horror-shooter. I'll leave it to Stalker and/or HL2 to push the genre forward.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2004 9:26 am 
Thoroughbred
Thoroughbred

Beelzebubba9 wrote:
maxx wrote:

I think your expectations were just too high. :-P

All I wanted from Doom 3 was a tight, polished horror-shooter. I'll leave it to Stalker and/or HL2 to push the genre forward.

Release date on S.T.A.L.K.E.R.?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2004 10:04 am 
Team Badger
Team Badger

Early 2005

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2004 6:05 pm 

while it looks very nice , well the whole zombie out of the dark things gets old pretty quick , i laso agree that your size/view isnt very exact. some things could be improved in a patch , others well........ but the engine is great.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2004 2:54 pm 
Klamath
Klamath

On the contrary, I think Doom3 is pretty damn good. I don't usually play FPS, but this one I like. Maybe you guys need to add a little bit of atmosphere in the room that you are playing. I play the game at night most of the time, and I have only a small lamp on so that I can see the keyboard. I think that adds to the gameplay, which I think is great. To me, the graphics are really good, and Doom3 engine is impressive.

Getting out of Hell was......hell. 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2004 8:52 pm 
Thunderbird
Thunderbird

I've only gotten to Alpha Sector 3 and its been pretty repetitive so far. Here's how the game goes:

1. Get gun.
2. Turn dark corner and prepare to shot monster.
3. Walk around for a long time only to run into the same monsters over and over again.
4. Rescue humans.
5. Repeat steps 2-4 over and over again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2004 1:47 am 

It is quite boring now. But I do still get the jumps everyonce in awhile when someone just comes out of nowhere.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2004 10:48 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

Keep in mind that Doom 3 is more of a tech demo for developers that want to use it for their games.

But remember you shouldn't judge a game until you completed it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2004 5:51 am 
Little Foot
Little Foot

I was quite disappointed by GTA: Vice City. The gameplay is excellence, but the graphic is very poor. The gun fighting got better; challenging but with more main character's functionality. However, the hand-to-hand combat is very dumb. It is impossible to know whether action button will provide a kick or a punch. Another game that sucks in hand-to-hand combat is Jet Lee game; one button does all the kick.

I tested Doom III and I like it, but I have to agree that it is not revoluntionary. Update is more appropriate.

Age of Empire was cool and it only got better. A lot of games now are based on that. I can't wait to wait Rome: Total War. I got the other Total War and it is pretty complicate and fun. Unfornately, I can't control units when they start "running for their life". It is weird that they do that even when when other units are winning.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2004 5:55 am 
Little Foot
Little Foot

athlon11 wrote:

Half life is cool, but the beginning is pretty stupid; riding on that damn amtrack and try to get those scientists to give you hint. After that, it rocks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 12:26 pm 
Thunderbird
Thunderbird

HL2 is probably going to do the same. Only thing Im really looking forward to doing is using the "pick up" gun and throwing bodies around. I will get days of fun out of that figuring new ways to hits things with bodies :D[/quote]

i didn't know you could pick up bodies with that thing! for some reason i was under the impression that it only picked up metal objects. sweeeet. i'm going to pick up a crowbar with it and poke headcrabs!