PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 5:07 am 
Clawhammer
Clawhammer

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=146684

Post subject: Re: GameStop > AMD
PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 3:48 am 
[Team Member]
[Team Member]

I don't buy your comparison, it is apples and oranges ... and does not compute!

AMD's competition is Intel with very deep pockets! Now, how can you compare that to GameStop which is a store, all it does is sell software and AMD, which must design, develop and manufacture a product? You are mixing the manufacturing sector with just Marketing a product GameStop didn't make, sorry you just can't do that....very bad example. You have to compare GameStop to another game marketing outlet like Steam or Origin.

Nasty

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 7:23 am 
Smithfield
Smithfield

Hey, if the rest of the world can snicker over the fact that Apple has more liquid assets than the US government, why not?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:34 am 
Clawhammer
Clawhammer

Nastyman wrote:
I don't buy your comparison, it is apples and oranges ... and does not compute!

Let me try this again since it is apples to apples. Two publicly traded companies. One is worth more. That one being a video/computer game reseller not the cpu and gpu manufacturer. If you invested $100 in both in June, AMD would spit back only $70 at you while GS would pad your palm with $25. Ohh my, color me surprised. It's so sad and a fizzled beacon of our future.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:47 am 
Smithfield
Smithfield

Of what future? Of desktop PCs?

Perhaps. But as a whole, ARM is now a decent competitor in the processor market, enough to make Intel start devoting money to beat them. AMD doesn't have anything fit for that field. And perhaps you might say, "but what about graphics?". Well, in that field in regards to mobile electronics, it's really NVIDIA vs. PowerVR. And there as well, AMD has no product in that field.

In other words, AMD is falling behind. They're not pushing products out that can compete. I mean sure, it's sad that everyone's favorite brand back in 2000-2005 may not have much life left (and Intel was playing dirty anyway back then), but they need to start moving in areas that are getting headway. I mean, look at NVIDIA, all they do is GPUs, but they still have a future because they were jumping on the ball at any market that looked like it was growing. They were basically the first to make the budget video cards (GeForce 2 MX), the first to push modern GPGPU programming with CUDA, the first dedicated GPGPU with Tesla, one of the first "dedicated" GPUs for mobile devices (PowerVR 5 was out a few years earlier)... Where was AMD in all this?

But in any case, there will always be the need for the power of a desktop style computer or similar. This is something that will go kicking and screaming into the night if you try to kill it. But it's just the sad fact that AMD hasn't been investing money and resources into things that could make money for them. As one of the project engineers at work said, yes you should always go for the big contracts, but you should also support the little ones, because that's where you'll be getting a lot of your money from.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 3:42 pm 
Clawhammer
Clawhammer

LatiosXT wrote:
Of what future?

A future of building and selling something meaningful. Like procs over retread games of entertainment. There is simply something inherently flawed and intrinsically fuxedup with Gamestop supercedes AMD.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 3:46 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

If you break it down into business ventures, GameStop has more business sense at the moment than AMD.

And that's really what investing is all about. It doesn't matter what industry is "more meaningful" than another. There are a lot of industries out there that one could argue is selling nothing but gold poop, but hey, they make the economy turn.