Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 8:30 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: old game question
PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 11:17 am 
Little Foot
Little Foot

so i was feeling nostalgic and wanted to reload and reinstall total annihilation on my puter for old time nostalgic reasons
but when i was went to put the disc in a window popped up telling me i cant because i need to have 64 bit and this softwarwe is only 32 bit so i should contact my software provider (long dead cavedog entertainment)

so my question is how do i get my old old 32 bit game to load on my windows 7 64 bit system
i supoose for 5.99 i could by it all over again from gog.com but i already own the game and all its expansions

Post subject: Re: old game question
PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 12:04 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

There's a compatibility wizard in Start -> All Programs -> Accessories I believe. Just set it for Windows XP SP2/SP3 and have at it.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 1:07 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

most of my programs are running fine as it is problem with the total annihilation is it didnt even want to install altogether the error window popped up during install

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 1:10 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

jktz122 wrote:
most of my programs are running fine as it is problem with the total annihilation is it didnt even want to install altogether the error window popped up during install

... Did you try the Compatibility Wizard?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 4:11 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

LatiosXT wrote:
jktz122 wrote:

... Did you try the Compatibility Wizard?

didnt see any compatibility wizard under "accesories" at least in my version of win 7

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 7:15 am 
Smithfield
Smithfield

Oh, they changed the name. Just type in "compatibility" in the start menu search.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 3:44 am 
[Team Member]
[Team Member]

Pop the disk in and let it start, then shut it off. Go into windows explorer and click on the optical drive you have the cd in. In the right panel look for the .exe that installs the game. Right click on the .exe and choose properties, then the compatibility tab, choose win xp sp3 and the game should install when you next double click the install .exe. Sounds like a lot to do but is very simple.

Nasty

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 4:12 am 
Little Foot
Little Foot

Nastyman wrote:
Pop the disk in and let it start, then shut it off. Go into windows explorer and click on the optical drive you have the cd in. In the right panel look for the .exe that installs the game. Right click on the .exe and choose properties, then the compatibility tab, choose win xp sp3 and the game should install when you next double click the install .exe. Sounds like a lot to do but is very simple.

Nasty

i think i found the answer those expansion discs were 16 bit and windows os win 7 cant handle 16 bit .. the original game disc was 32 bit luckily i dont really need to install the expan just copy a few files into the folder

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 2:14 pm 
[Team Member]
[Team Member]

jktz122 wrote:
Nastyman wrote:

Nasty

i think i found the answer those expansion discs were 16 bit and windows os win 7 cant handle 16 bit .. the original game disc was 32 bit luckily i dont really need to install the expan just copy a few files into the folder

Your statement don't make sense. Why would they make the expansions in 16 bit and the main program in 32 bit? All you have to do is find the .exe file that installs the expansion and right click on it, go down to properties, go to the compatibility tab and choose XP sp 2 or 3 and it will install just fine. You could use win 98 for that matter.

Nasty

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 4:49 am 
Little Foot
Little Foot

Nastyman wrote:
jktz122 wrote:
Nastyman wrote:

Nasty

Your statement don't make sense. Why would they make the expansions in 16 bit and the main program in 32 bit? All you have to do is find the .exe file that installs the expansion and right click on it, go down to properties, go to the compatibility tab and choose XP sp 2 or 3 and it will install just fine. You could use win 98 for that matter.

Nasty

i dunno remember this was back in 1998 or so but over on tauniverse they had a workaround for windows 7 plus the www.gog.com version works and installs just fine