Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 1:06 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Games that have moved you
PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 8:41 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

So I was wondering if you guys (and gals) would like to share your experiences with games that have made you feel really good (or bad) in a way that you still remember to this day?

I'll start.

As a kid I was a big fan of Warcraft 2, I loved that game, so much that one of the reasons that made me interested in learning English was so that I could understand what the little dudes where saying (and to read the stories)
I played Warcraft 2 and then WC3 and then many years later I heard about WOW, I was skeptical about it and I sure didn't like the idea of the monthly subscription, but I gave it a try. It was so fucking awesome, being able to explore this Warcraft World as the hero instead of controlling everything from the sky... it was amazing, it was one of the best feeling I have had in this life. I wish I could go back in time and feel the same way, or feel the same for another game (the same thing happened to me when going from Command and Conquer to C&C Renegade but it has not happened anymore)

And I hate Blizzard for not finding a way to make me interested in playing wow again. I really hate the way the game is designed to keep you subscribed.

Who's next?

Post subject: Re: Games that have moved you
PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:53 am 
Team Member Top 500
Team Member Top 500

Kings Quest (1984): the first animated computer game I ever played, introduced me to the world of computer gaming

Die by the Sword (1998): A dungeon hack n slash with a slight difference... you control how the sword is used... swing high, swing low, parry, slash up or down diagonally, etc... It also attempted to introduce realistic physics as relates to wounds, no more flesh wound = dead... hack off a monsters leg & it's no longer running after you, hack off a head for a quick death, or chop some arms off to have some fun. All-together, it was a pretty impressive game, even if underneath it was just another dungeon slasher.

Deus Ex (2000): I still love this game, I bought it for the third time about 3 years ago to play it through again. If I could pick any single game to be remade using modern graphics, this would be the game.

Oblivion (2006): I half-ass'd played some of the previous Elder Scrolls titles, but never could get into them... that changed with Oblivion. If they had turned it into an MMO, I probably would have paid a subscription to play it. I really wish some of the MMO's would adopt similar attribute & profession systems...

Last edited by chaosdsm on Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 4:16 pm 
Clawhammer
Clawhammer

pokemon. the reason why i didnt have friends wen i was young. lol.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 3:54 am 
[Team Member]
[Team Member]

AOL had an on line multi-player game that hooked me into gaming in 1995....boy were my friends pissed at me! LOL, so I disciplined myself to a couple of hours a day, then went out with them....there is nothing in this world like having friends you can depend on!

The original Deus Ex was excellent! I agree it should be done over on a new game engine for better graphics and physics...I would buy it again at todays prices!

Baldur's Gate series was a blast to play. I love the interaction between the good and evil characters in my little troupe. Another game series I would buy over should it be updated with a new game engine.

There are may more I played that I loved too, only this post would turn into a novelette should I tell all... LOL

Nasty

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 10:52 am 
Little Foot
Little Foot

originally the original command and conquer and total annihilation.. afterwards i discovered baldurs gate and civilization 3 and diablo 2

total annihilation was a blast so was baldurs gate 2 .. and civ ,civ stills grabs my attention

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 11:31 am 
Little Foot
Little Foot

I feel like some of you guys missed what the OP was talking about.

He means a game that when you first played it, you get this feeling of amazement and wonder, like you would get if you visited something like the pyramids. Something that feels almost unbelievable. I don't think he just meant a game you really like that got you into gaming or something.

2 Games have done this for me:

EarthBound, IMO one of the most underrated games of its time. The characters are so well developed, and you feel like you can relate to them so well. It's hard to explain the feeling I had when I first played through the game.

Metal Gear Solid 2/the Metal Gear Solid story, there is just something about this story that is so awe inspiring. Reading the extra background info included in the game and realizing connections to the previous games just floored me the first time playing through.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 1:18 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

Ness.EarthBound wrote:
I feel like some of you guys missed what the OP was talking about.

He means a game that when you first played it, you get this feeling of amazement and wonder, like you would get if you visited something like the pyramids. Something that feels almost unbelievable. I don't think he just meant a game you really like that got you into gaming or something.

2 Games have done this for me:

EarthBound, IMO one of the most underrated games of its time. The characters are so well developed, and you feel like you can relate to them so well. It's hard to explain the feeling I had when I first played through the game.

Metal Gear Solid 2/the Metal Gear Solid story, there is just something about this story that is so awe inspiring. Reading the extra background info included in the game and realizing connections to the previous games just floored me the first time playing through.

c&c and total annihilation did it for me .. untill i discovered baldurs gate 2 and it blew me away

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 5:14 am 
Team Member Top 1000
Team Member Top 1000

For me it was Myst! (the original) Also The Longest Journey, Gabriel Knight 3.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 1:48 am 

Prince of Persia

My brother is a big fan of this game.