Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 8:22 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: BF3 on anything BUT "C" can't be done, so says Origin!
PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 1:37 pm 

Gordon Tell me it’s not so?

I’ve built a good medium end machine, out of a ASUS P8Z68 Deluxe/Gen3 motherboard with 8 gig of Corsair vengeance DDr3 1600 modules with a MSI 570GTX twin Frozr power edition. I also have a couple of 1TB’s Barracudas running raid 1, with a OCZ Agility 3, 120 gig, SSD ready to load win 7 pro 64 bit to instead of the current Western Digital 1 TB that it’s running on.
The issue is that I also have an old WD raptor with my BF3 data and games on it along with steam. Note that I can run steam from here with no issues (are you listening Origin).

Then for whatever reason I thought, maybe I’ll try the “live” (internet connected) dude to see if they can help a gamer out. So can it be run from, say your “D” drive or in my case my “I” drive? So sorry but it can’t be done! You MUST install ALL on the “C” drive and run it there. This same “help” guru told me "just move it over to the "c" drive and it will automatically set-up again (ie: re-establish the registry keys all by themselves that are not there on the new “c” drive). Guess what? That didn’t happen and Santa is…ahh well anyway…

Which brings me to my issue, what the *&^*&^ are they saying? I’m going to give up more of my SSD to a single game, saved games + trash they send because?

I’ve seen the instructions out there that suggest that you can hack the registry and relocate the game to where ever you would like then just keep your user and (ie: save games) on the “C” drive which makes much more sense. I’m just wondering if there is anything "easier" then searching through the registry for all the references or if some of the symbolic links I’ve heard of would work as well to fake out this thing? Thoughts?? Anyone?

One last thing, I guess if you really can make BF 3 run from another drive and they don’t want to support it JUST SAY SO! I’m ok with that answer, but to say it can’t be done just makes me want to spend my money elsewhere that have folks that will give you the straight skinny. :cry:

Post subject: Re: BF3 on anything BUT "C" can't be done, so says Origin!
PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 7:05 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

After reading that, I'm guessing you want to relocate the "Origin Games" folder. Keep this in your list of tools:

1. Move the "Origin Games" folder to where you want it, and remember that location
  2. Open up command prompt with admin privileges. Easiest way is type in "cmd" in the start search and hold Ctrl + Shift when you open it.
  3. Go to program files. If you aren't sure, enter "c:", then "cd .." until the prompt says "C:\>", then cd "Program Files (x86)"
  4. Type in "mklink /J "Origin Games" [Directory where the actual Origin Games folder is]". Include the quotes inside the command

If you're confused, go find a tutorial on how to make symlinks in Windows 7.

Post subject: Re: BF3 on anything BUT "C" can't be done, so says Origin!
PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 7:32 pm 

Mine is loaded on d: drive I think what I did is load origin on the that drive and in the settings it asks where you want all the content saved and I changed everything to d: