Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 7:04 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Why do people cheat?
PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 9:32 pm 
Million Club
Million Club

Simple question, one I've been wondering for a while but was only reminded about just a few minutes ago.

Was playing my World at War online and having a good time until a spammer started flooding the chat with advertisement for a hacking/aimbot website while simultaneously running around in god mode; never getting killed while getting headshots, arty and dog calls galore.

I mean, I just don't get it. I never could. Why would you want to be invincible in a game, or be able to achieve it's goal without any effort? How could you continuously derive pleasure from knowing your avatar can never die, or alternatively, you could frag your opponents with no effort, skill or co-ordination at all? How could you brag about your exploits as a cheater proudly, as opposed to honing actual skill over the course of time to cumulate in exceptional game-playing ability?

Infact, I'd like to get this response from those who have actually cheated in a game before. Not so I can berate or judge you for your actions, but so I can try and understand the mentality on how someone can find continuous cheating pleasurable, especially in something that provides absolutely no benefit or enrichment to your everyday lives.

I can understand the reasoning for cheating in competition that provides tangible rewards, such a gambling or sports. Cheating toward the goal of money or award, although just as deplorable in my opinion, atleast provides the sufficient motivation for such an action. But cheating in online games? You can't win money. You don't get any trophies or prestige. So what's the goal?

Please tell me. I'm curious, dammit.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 6:38 am 
Thunderbird
Thunderbird

I play games first (mostly offline) without cheats, then go back through a second time with cheats, especially if there are no unlockable game options (max payne had a few, for example).

Sometimes in racing games i might need the little extra cash. I remember playing Most Wanted back then, and I don't remember having the option to replay certain big money races to gain more cash after a horrid losing battle with the Police, so i used a money cheat to buy myself a new car and parts to continue on through to the end.

cheating online is different though, cause offline does not have to deal with much opposition aside from the AI, as good or bad as it is. Maybe more less competitive people see it as an opportunity to have some fun, even at others expense (?). i don't play much MP anyways, because i would probably cheat way more than i do offline, just cause i am a sore loser and have to win.

I think that cheating online is inevitable, and it would just be a matter or 'when', like the Javelin Glitch, but that was a game mechanic that went unnoticed for a bit that was discovered. i do have an issue at the moment with Guild Wars banning 3700 accounts - nothing wrong with that, because most were gold spammers and farming bots, but my problem is that, if I do not sell gold and farm for gold cause there isn't anything else to do after lv20 / dungeons completed / don't PvP, so i farm and get money to achieve the higher tier "Elite" armor. I'm scared to 55 monk now, cause someone might take offense and get my account banned. Botting can easily be avoided if the game was not as persistent as Guild Wars is at it's current state.

hopefully something in there made some sense.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 8:02 am 
Java Junkie
Java Junkie

For the same reason people prefer to accept a welfare cheque than get a job .. it is easier.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 11:21 am 

Jipstyle wrote:
.. it is easier.

It is easier, and the material reward is the same, but the emotional reward is just lower.

Cheaters are losers, in one way or another. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 4:56 pm 
Java Junkie
Java Junkie

Agreed 100%, Huxley.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 5:17 pm 
Clawhammer
Clawhammer

I find it amusing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 6:52 pm 
Million Club - 2 Plus
Million Club - 2 Plus

'Cause there are some whose goal in life is just to ruin it for others.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 7:27 pm 
Java Junkie
Java Junkie

Airheadq wrote:

And how pathetic is it that the best they can do is force you to find a new server? :lol:

I often wonder if they do it because they want to win or because they want to hear and imagine the reactions of the other gamers. One is pathetic because it means they can only win by cheating ... the other is even worse because it means that they enjoy ruining other people's play time.

Sad, really.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 7:33 pm 
Million Club - 20 Plus
Million Club - 20 Plus

Unless the game has no dedicated servers.

Ted

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 7:38 pm 
Million Club [PC]
Million Club [PC]

Jipstyle wrote:
Airheadq wrote:

And how pathetic is it that the best they can do is force you to find a new server? :lol:

I often wonder if they do it because they want to win or because they want to hear and imagine the reactions of the other gamers. One is pathetic because it means they can only win by cheating ... the other is even worse because it means that they enjoy ruining other people's play time.

Sad, really.

yeah. People just like pissing other people off. Honestly, if there's a hacker that isn't invincible, though, I get so much satisfaction just killing him once. Even hacking, he can't escape death. Yeah, jip is right. The people who cheat in online games are the same kind of people who write viruses. The same kind of people who would rather sit around and take handouts than work for a better life.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 9:54 pm 
Willamette
Willamette

When my friends and I would play some certain games online, such as Halo, UT, etc., we'd get together and try different cheats AS A TEAM, but were under strict policy with each other to NEVER use any actual cheats during serious play time. It was only amongst ourselves and for our amusement, such as the time we got a warthog stuck in mid-air by finding a hilarious glitch using a 'hog, nades and a banshee, it was hilarious stuff and took FOREVER to get the thing down. once we did, it was standing straight up on the ground, front bumper face down. Great stuff.

I've been accused of aim-botting numerous times, just cuz I had a knack for escaping near-death experiences, but I have not and never will cheat in a real game, and never ever use God mode either, that's the pussy code. If you're not man/woman enough to get better by playing and learning it, then don't waste our time either, that's how my friends, family and I look at it. Serious cheaters are losers, plain and simple.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 10:04 pm 
Java Junkie
Java Junkie

I don't think it is considered 'cheating' if everyone playing agrees to an alteration of the rules ... only if you break the rules without the other players' consent. I'd call what you and your friends do 'hacking', in the sense of using a object, or software, in a way unintended by its creator.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 10:28 pm 
Willamette
Willamette

Yeah, I guess it was more hacking/exploitation or something. We tried to do the mythbusters thing with known cheats/hacks and try to have fun with it like Adam and Jamie would. Real cheating though is for sissies and 5-yr-olds who have retarded parents that let them play games that they know they shouldn't. I've been assaulted by THOSE bastages before.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 12:30 am 
Million Club - 2 Plus
Million Club - 2 Plus

And calling them names just adds fuel to the fire. Killing them gives a certain pleasant satisfaction to it. I don't usually leave servers unless there is no way to kill them. If they can die, then I will take them down.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 11:27 am 
Willamette
Willamette

Airheadq wrote:

This is the truth.

We have to keep in mind that 1 out of 25 people are sociopaths. (actual statistic on ASPD, look it up) That means 1 out of 25 people have no conscience and get mid-brain pleasure and dopamine secretion by screwing other people over because it relieves them of their boredom for a few minutes. Many of these people are also beyond lazy (many sociopaths are extremely lazy) so putting in any effort to win isn't as rewarding as cheating and getting the same result.

It's really quite sad.....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 2:37 pm 
Thoroughbred
Thoroughbred

I actually encountered 2 last night. There goal was pretty much to clear out the server and promote the shit out of there youtube channel. I honestly can't say what brings someone to want to act like such an asshole the way these guys were.

I had already seen some of his videos in the past so I knew who he pretty much just hacks in every game he plays in then post videos of people raging and acting like he is legit. It's really incredibly pathetic.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 6:08 am 
Thunderbird
Thunderbird

They lack the skill of mastering the game. So, they cheat to make up for the lack of interest in improving.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 8:09 am 

I've only ever used cheat codes on Grand Theft Auto games. I will use the cheat code that gives you all the weapons and then find the tallest building and start sniping people and blowing up everything I can. I try to see how long I can hold off all the feds.

Never cheated in an online game. Don't see the point. I'm a founder of a COD clan and a Battlefield clan and we've done map testing to find glitches and such on our servers so that we know what people can do on certain maps if we need to watch and kick people for certain things.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 4:41 pm 
Sharptooth
Sharptooth

I quit playing BF1942 because the cheating became unbearable, which sucks, because that used to be a great game.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 10:21 am 
Willamette
Willamette

Cheaters are why I stopped playing PC games online... it seemed that every game would have some person with a mod or a hack or something that gave them an unfair advantage. I like equal play... or as close as I can get to such. That is the main reason for my main turn to console gaming... consoles get banned and so do accounts if cheaters are caught. I have turned a fair share of people in myself and I am proud to do it. Cheaters simply suck the good fun out of a game.

So... yeah I hate cheaters too!

(Edit: I am not mocking PC gaming, I still play PC games myself. I just could not keep up with the cheaters on games in the past... so that is why I stopped playing them online via PC)