Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 5:30 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Output game console to monitor
PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 9:42 am 

Hey everyone. First of all I really wasn't sure where to post this, so sorry If this is the wrong place.

Anyway, I kept having people ask me if it was possible to connect their xbox or ps3 to a computer monitor without any active converters. Turns out DVI signal is essentially HDMI signal. I bought a DVI->HDMI cable in local wal-mart, and it worked great for connecting my xbox to a dvi monitor! (It also works to connect a DVI video card to an HDTV).

However, before you do connect your console to a monitor, make sure to set console's output to 480p. Once connected you will be able to change the settings. My xbox seems to be bad at detecting display changes.

Also, the downside of DVI is that it is not made to accept sound. I'm not sure about PS3, but on xbox I just plugged in the analog cable at the same time, and used sound output from that.

I hope this helps anyone :)
Hexorg.

Post subject: Re: Output game console to monitor
PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 9:29 am 
Smithfield
Smithfield

If you're trying to route sound to monitor's speakers, PS3s I know you can do analog out with the MULTI-OUT cable. You just need a RCA<->1/8" male TRS converter. If you have a separate speaker system, you might be able to get away with a TOSLINK cable.

Otherwise, if you have money to burn, you can get a BlackMagic HDMI card for $100