Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Wed Aug 27, 2014 8:26 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Which video game?
PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2004 11:00 pm 
Klamath
Klamath

I just watched the new series on the History Channel, "Decisive Battles." (I recorded it from Friday.) In it they used computer simulations to reenact a great battle between the Romans and Hannibal's Carthaginian armies.

My question is this: Twice, they said that they used "video game technology" to produce their simulations. Any clue what game engine they were using? Has anyone played a game that looks like the show, on any platform?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2004 6:47 am 
In the lab!
In the lab!

Right from the history channel website

Quote:
DECISIVE BATTLES is hosted by Matthew Settle (Band of Brothers) on location at the ancient battlefields and features expert commentary from the world's foremost historians.

DECISIVE BATTLES is unlike any series The History Channel has ever aired. Employing the same advanced computer gaming technology as in the highly-anticipated new video game Rome: Total War™ , the series gives viewers an unprecedented perspective of ancient battles by re-creating troops in their vast numbers and landscapes on a scale otherwise impossible. Instead of recounting these ancient battles though drawings, paintings and reenactments using actors, they spring to life in this new computer animation that allows viewers a gods-eye view of the battlefield with its massive numbers of troops, their formations, and the weapons and strategies each side employed. Viewers will get the vantage point the generals wish they’d had.

Here's the game website

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2004 3:59 pm 
Klamath
Klamath

D'oh! I should've thought to check out the HC website. Thanx for doing the research for me, and for the link. I'll have to check out the game since it looks so cool on TV.