Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 1:05 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Half Life
PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2004 7:18 pm 
Team Member Top 500
Team Member Top 500

no, this is not one of the myriad of hl2 threads, tis is about the original game. i havent really played it yet, but i have finally started and it is amazing. i have the chills the whole time i am playing it, and i never know whats gonna happen next. the only other game ive played that gave me that feeling was halo on the xbox. i now do believe that half life is the best game ever made, now what do all of you think?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2004 7:57 pm 

It is simply the best FPS I have ever played. I don't even know how Doom 3 or HL 2 will stand up to it.

As for best game for me it's up there with Star Craft...

~War

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2004 9:26 am 

HL was truly a classic. i rushed the game though. finished it in only 4 hrs. then i replayed and got the plot the second time. still the best 4 hrs in my gaming experience. now waiting for HL2 is like a pure torture for me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2004 2:15 pm 
Team Member Top 500
Team Member Top 500

homelessboy wrote:
HL was truly a classic. i rushed the game though. finished it in only 4 hrs. then i replayed and got the plot the second time. still the best 4 hrs in my gaming experience. now waiting for HL2 is like a pure torture for me.
yes, its been torture here too, but for me the bigger torture is waiting for halo 2 i retract my first statement, halo was the best game i have ever played, the more that i think about it, i wish that game had never ended.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2004 4:24 pm 
Team Member Top 100
Team Member Top 100

Half Life is what I condsider a "next-level" game. It helped bring online gaming to the next level with games like Team Fortress and Couter-Strike.

The same can be said for Doom, Quake, Unreal,ect.

Thats why I'm really excited for Doom 3 and HL2. I'm sure both games will be great. But in the months after, since both are easily modded, what will be the next "level" for online gaming...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2004 6:50 pm 
Klamath
Klamath

Once you finish Half-Life you should download the single player mod called "They Hunger". The mod was created by Neil Manke with help from PC Gamer magazine. It is a blast!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2004 7:15 pm 
Team Member Top 50
Team Member Top 50

i still haven't beaten HLi believe i am on the last level now, any ways its rates as one of the best i have played along with Far Cry, even though the graphics in Far Cry are far supior to that of HL

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2004 7:29 pm 
Team Member Top 100
Team Member Top 100

toidiochysp wrote:
i still haven't beaten HLi believe i am on the last level now, any ways its rates as one of the best i have played along with Far Cry, even though the graphics in Far Cry are far supior to that of HL

Considering that there's about a 6 year difference in the games, I could see how Farcry looks better. But in its day, HL was one of the best looking games around.

God, now I feel old.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2004 7:48 pm 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000*
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000*

niterider wrote:
Half Life is what I condsider a "next-level" game. It helped bring online gaming to the next level with games like Team Fortress and Couter-Strike.

The same can be said for Doom, Quake, Unreal,ect.

Thats why I'm really excited for Doom 3 and HL2. I'm sure both games will be great. But in the months after, since both are easily modded, what will be the next "level" for online gaming...

Actually, HL came with TFC - TF existed prior to the HL release. However, Valve deserves major credit for recognizing the awesome potential of TF and for including it along with HL. Now if they would only kick butt and get HL2/TF2 done! :)

I think without a doubt, HL is the best overall single player game ever. It might not have been the best in every category (eg. DukeNukem 3 was funnier, TF and TFC were better multi-players games, etc.), but overall, it was just incredible. You knew that you were experiencing something special before the opening credits finished!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2004 12:18 am 
Northwood
Northwood

Rosco[CoF] wrote:
Once you finish Half-Life you should download the single player mod called "They Hunger". The mod was created by Neil Manke with help from PC Gamer magazine. It is a blast!

that rocked!

did you play they hunger 2 & 3?

another one that wasn't bad was azuresheep, you play as barney

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2004 2:40 am 
Klamath
Klamath

Played all 3 of them from start to finish, twice.. Was a great time.
That, and DarkStar from Neil Manke and POKE646

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2004 11:37 am 
Little Foot
Little Foot

not a big gamer at all. duke nukem's shareware version was much much better than the retailed version because the best levels were included in the three levels of the shareware... the rest were kind of plain.

HL was awesome. I never had the patience to sit down and finish a game... so even till this very day, I don't know what's the storyline in HL. But TFC was great! I could just sit there and play and play and play and play. all the lunch money I saved went to pay for the electricity...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2004 1:27 pm 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000*
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000*

emanresu wrote:
not a big gamer at all. duke nukem's shareware version was much much better than the retailed version because the best levels were included in the three levels of the shareware... the rest were kind of plain.

Oh, I disagree. That freeze gun was awesome and, iirc, it didn't show up until the end of the game. Some of the last levels were quite fun. Either way, multiplayer duke was awesome. I love sticking those pipebombs on the back of doors... :)

emanresu wrote:
But TFC was great! I could just sit there and play and play and play and play. all the lunch money I saved went to pay for the electricity...

Oh, I totally agree. I wasted a significant portion of my life playing TFC. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2004 2:34 pm 
Team Member Top 100
Team Member Top 100

I used to play TFC wayyyy back then. And when Steam started up and TFC was an option, I played for a little bit more. But these days I spend most of my time playing Counter Strike CZ, BFV, and Farcry.

Can't wait for Doom 3 though....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2004 6:05 pm 
Boy in Black
Boy in Black

Glad you finally picked it up to play it. It really was an exciting game to play! Where ya at in it? There's one part that really grabbed me, and you'll know what point I'm talking about when you get to a level where you have to start with no weapons or ammo again.

Come to think about it, that part didn't make sense! I need to play it again maybe...don't want to spoil the action. Tell me when you get to that part and give me a refresher!

Oh ya...hope you got the platinum pack with OP4 and Blueshift because they're just as entertaining IMO. The OP4 pack's AI got really smart. Each time, the soldiers used a different path depending on what action you took against them. Even today, the enemy seem pretty stupid in comparison.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2004 10:00 pm 
Team Member Top 50
Team Member Top 50

i know this is a little old but i had to bring it back I JUST BEAT THE GAME!!!! for the first time!!!!!! OMG that was a great game, although it took me long enough to do it, now i cant wait for half life 2!!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2004 4:18 am 
Klamath
Klamath

Now play through Opposing Force and Blue Shift!
Also, grab "They Hunger", the best free single player mod ever made for that game.
http://www.planethalflife.com/manke/