Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Thu Dec 18, 2014 11:19 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Re: Rift
PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 11:43 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

Hey guys, sorry it took me so long to reply, but I always get "disconnected" in the summer.

I played the game all the way to lvl 50 and did Tier1 (T1) and Tier 2 dungeons as well as some of the T1 raids, and I gotta say that the end game stuff is actually pretty cool, there are a lot of quest, raids, pvp, and more stuff to do once you get to 50 (and a lot of quest that start at lvl 10 and you get to finish them once you are lvl 50).
Doing Dungeons was very enjoyable, once you are done with the regular dungeons you get to do them in T1 or T2 but they change all the enemies, bosses and tactics for each tier and they let you explore new areas that you couldn't do before.
I had a lot of fun figuring out how to beat the bosses (there where no guides back then) and the fights where very different and it wasn't just tanking and spanking.

The only thing I would suggest for new players would be to go to a server with a good population of players, I was in one with a low population and sometimes it was hard to do a dungeon with random people during non peak hours (using the looking for group tool) but if you make some friends who play at the same time as you you won't have any problems.

The soul system in Rift is awesome, basically it lets you have several different builds (roles) on one character and you can switch between them at any time (providing you are not in combat) That's very helpful because you can have a role for questing, one for tanking and one for pvp, so when you are questing and you see someone from the other side and you want to do pvp, just switch roles and BAM you are ready to own noobs :P basically it means that you are not locked to one single build the whole game and get bored like in others games.
It also makes doing dungeons a lot more enjoyable, if you are a mage for instance, you can do the classic DPS, but you can also be the main healer or a support player to help in those hard fights.

The quests are quite good, a lot of them have really cool animations and voices (so you won't be reading all the time) and there are all kind of quest, some very sillies and others very difficult and different to what you are used to(so you wont be killing x number of something until x number of something drops from them, all the time)

The thing I said about the armor and weapons... I take it back, once you get the hang of it and can get your hand in some dyes and/or enchants you can customize your armor to make it look really cool and different from everyone else, even if they have the same stuff as you.

The professions are very well done too, you can customize your creations to match your needs. What I mean by that is that you can make a sword with strength stats for a warrior and one with intelligence for a mage using the same recipe.

There are a lot of more cool stuff in Rift and this post is very ling as it is, but the best part about the game is the developer, Trion actually does listen to the players feedback and does something about it, they keep improving the game and adding more cool stuff everyday.
The bad? it is still a fairly new game and it has it's glitches and it not a 100% polished like wow is, but they are getting there.

I haven't played in a while because of summer, but if you have any questions just ask :) I will definitely be playing once winter gets here.

I'll close this long post with a tip for new players to the game... Don't do the first dungeons (Iron Thomb and Realm of the Fae) the first time you play the game unless you do it with your friends and/or guild mates or are ready to waste a lot of time and get angry at your party members. It really is a bad experience most of the time, but hey, I did it the first time and it went great, so it's up to you to decide (don't say I didn't warn you) :D

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 1:50 am 
Little Foot
Little Foot

how do you switch roles?you have 3 different trunks or whatever they are called how do you turn one on or off?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 7:16 am 
Little Foot
Little Foot

jktz122 wrote:
how do you switch roles?you have 3 different trunks or whatever they are called how do you turn one on or off?

in your soul tree, there are a couple small boxes at the bottom of it (I think you can have 6), but you have to buy them from the trainer in order to use them. So you unlock (buy) the role slot, then spend all your points in your soul tree and save it in one of the role slots, then you just select the role you want and click on the "activate" button, you can also make a button for that in your action bar or make a macro for it.

That's another thing I liked about the game, you don't have the same spells as everybody else, it depends on how you spend your points in your soul tree.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 11:03 am 
Little Foot
Little Foot

PM_DMNKLR wrote:
jktz122 wrote:
havent done dungeons or instances in rift yet .. and i dont have to tell you what pain they can be in wow
both in gettting into one if you are dps or when something goes wrong and your group wipes how easy it is to get blamed

The only instance I ever got to go on in WoW was after I was lvl 23 and the guy who was leading it got pissed off at me cuz I accidentally picked up the uber-rare drop he was trying to get in it. I didn't know, and I told him it was my first ever, lol. That was right before my initial 30 days was up and I haven't played it since, maybe for like 5 minutes or so, if that. I do remember getting bored easily and just closing it out. That was when Blizzard sent me one of those "please come back" promos with 7 days free game time.

at level 23 dungeons its ludicrous to get pissed at someone taking teh uber rare loot because in a few levels they will be outdated now heroic cata dungeons or raids are another matter .. so the guy in your dungeon was an old fashioned bahsturd

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 11:08 am 
Little Foot
Little Foot

Mortal_M wrote:
jktz122 wrote:

in your soul tree, there are a couple small boxes at the bottom of it (I think you can have 6), but you have to buy them from the trainer in order to use them. So you unlock (buy) the role slot, then spend all your points in your soul tree and save it in one of the role slots, then you just select the role you want and click on the "activate" button, you can also make a button for that in your action bar or make a macro for it.

That's another thing I liked about the game, you don't have the same spells as everybody else, it depends on how you spend your points in your soul tree.

in wow its easy to figure which talent tree is tank or heals or damage
i havent been able to figure it out in rift .. besides im not going to subscribe to 2 different mmorpg at the same time for now wow satiates me when im tired of it i will switch back to rift

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 1:36 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

jktz122 wrote:
in wow its easy to figure which talent tree is tank or heals or damage
i havent been able to figure it out in rift .. besides im not going to subscribe to 2 different mmorpg at the same time for now wow satiates me when im tired of it i will switch back to rift

It's not that hard to figure out, you just need to do a little research, usually when you are going to choose which souls you want in your soul tree there is a pop up tooltip that tells you what each soul is used for (dps, tanking, etc) and rigth there is when you need to choose what spells you want and that will determine what kind of a warrior you'll be (tank, dps, hibryd, etc), you can choose to have all your points in one soul or distribute them between the 3 souls, that's where you can make your character "unique", you can make a hybrid that has some tanking spells and dps spells for questing, or a fully dps build, I like that because you can choose the spells that you like the most and use them in your build.But that can can get a little confusing for new players.

I can't really compare it to wow because last time I played it was when The Burning Crusade came out, but the only thing that makes me want to play wow is that I love the whole Warcraft universe (I was a big fan of Warcraft II as a kid) but like you said, I don't have a lot of time to dedicate to games, especially one that consumes so much of it like MMOs, that's why I only play them in winter :D, I would like to play wow, but I just want them to do something brand new, not just put make up on it.

If you ever decide to give it another try and you look outside your window and all you see is snow, let me know, I would love to play it with some of the forum members.

oh, I almost forgot, did you know that you can talk to the players of the other faction? it's very handy in a pvp server (when you are not talking to a douche) most of the time you can talk to them a let them know that you just want to quest and they'll let you be, and I even made a friend from the other faction who would help me defeat rifts when they got out of control in the non peak times (I was in a server with low population), I would tank and he would do the dps, it was fun.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 1:45 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

One last thing, for the people who are playing it and need some help, they should bookmark this website http://rift.zam.com/
It's a great resource for when you are stuck on a quest, and it has a soul builder so you can test your build.

And another game tip for newbies :) when you start, spend all your soul points in one soul and the left overs in a second one, only when you get to a lvl 25ish or 30 is that you can start spending your points anyway you want. That way you get to have a few high level spells from one soul instead of having a lot of lower lvl spells from 3 souls. It will really make things easier for you since many low lvl spells from different trees are similar and share the same cooldown.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 12:10 am 
Clawhammer
Clawhammer

Going to +1 for Rift. Bought it not to long ago since it was $4.99 for the game, so I tried the free trial with a friend. I told him I wasn't going to buy it because it was monthly....pass the next few hours I bought it.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 5:11 am 
Little Foot
Little Foot

Mortal_M wrote:
One last thing, for the people who are playing it and need some help, they should bookmark this website http://rift.zam.com/
It's a great resource for when you are stuck on a quest, and it has a soul builder so you can test your build.

And another game tip for newbies :) when you start, spend all your soul points in one soul and the left overs in a second one, only when you get to a lvl 25ish or 30 is that you can start spending your points anyway you want. That way you get to have a few high level spells from one soul instead of having a lot of lower lvl spells from 3 souls. It will really make things easier for you since many low lvl spells from different trees are similar and share the same cooldown.

thanx for all the rift tips i may try it again one day its still loaded on my computer..a lot has changed in wow since burning legion i also quit after burning legion .. but came back a month or 2 before cata its a lot easier now dungeon finder works ok if u got 5-10 minutes patience if you are dps (tanks/healers usually are instaque) in patrch 4.3 coming up they will have raid finder..i find it fun to play again and i am a casual player figure 2-3 hours at most a night

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 10:40 am 
Klamath
Klamath

http://www.riftdb.com/ is another Rift Database.

I'm on Molinar but will transfer if the majority of MaxPC forum-going Rift players are on a different server. Let me know if you guys have a server you play on together and if not maybe we can start a guild and all transfer to one.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 5:26 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

MaximumGraphics wrote:
I'm on Molinar but will transfer if the majority of MaxPC forum-going Rift players are on a different server. Let me know if you guys have a server you play on together and if not maybe we can start a guild and all transfer to one.
That sounds like a great idea, but I won't be playing until winter gets here (I'm trying to enjoy what little is left of summer)
I'll let you know when I start playing again.