Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 3:19 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: how to tell which system to buy a game for
PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 7:01 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

I own a great PC and an Xbox 360, and I never know which system to buy games for. Sometimes it's easier, where you hear things like Dragon Age origins or Battlefield 3 getting developed primarily for PC, or games like call of duty or assassin's creed which are console based, but a lot of times I have no idea what the primary development system is. Gamespot, where I get most of my reviews, no longer differentiates between systems, and I think they only ever play it on one system. Kotaku doesn't differentiate either.
Is there a place that makes reccomendations on which system to buy a game for?

Post subject: Re: how to tell which system to buy a game for
PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 8:22 pm 
Willamette
Willamette

About 90% of the time, a PC game will be better, however, that being said, it's not ALWAYS the case. There are a few games that are equal, regardless of the system you play it on, and then there have been even fewer that were just horrible on PC (and Wii, PS2, etc.) vs. the X360 and PS3. Some games offer exclusives based on specified platforms, etc.

You kind of just have to look at it for yourself, and the quickest way that I've found, is to go to a local store, such as Gamestop, Walmart, etc. and compare the cases/boxes. Of course there's also the demo method as well, which seems to help nicely. Just remember that MOST, but not ALL games will be best on PC.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 9:46 pm 
Clawhammer
Clawhammer

PM_DMNKLR wrote:
About 90% of the time, a PC game will be better, however, that being said, it's not ALWAYS the case. There are a few games that are equal, regardless of the system you play it on, and then there have been even fewer that were just horrible on PC (and Wii, PS2, etc.) vs. the X360 and PS3. Some games offer exclusives based on specified platforms, etc.

Rainbow Six Vegas 1/2 :evil:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 10:46 pm 
Willamette
Willamette

Iron Man is a good example too. Each platform had it's pluses... except the PC. The PC version had no exclusivity, and it was shittier quality than the Wii version. Seriously, that's an epic fail. ultimately i got the X360 version, but pre-owned, and kinda cheaply too.

I'd still like to check out Vegas for the PC, the 360 ones kinda suck, same for GRAW 1 & 2. I have GRAW 1 for PC and X360, and won't touch the X360 one any more, the PC version is 1000x better.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 9:22 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

so where can you find that out before you waste the money on the wrong version?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 10:02 pm 
Willamette
Willamette

trl288 wrote:
so where can you find that out before you waste the money on the wrong version?

You're on it right now ;) . It's called "t3h 1nt3rn3tz".

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 6:20 am 
Northwood
Northwood

AZNgamerX800 wrote:
PM_DMNKLR wrote:

Rainbow Six Vegas 1/2 :evil:

RSV2 was great on the PC.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 7:26 pm 
Willamette
Willamette

Seems like pretty well ALL Tom Clancy games have been, as far as I've seen anyway. The Ghost Recon series, including Advanced Warfighter 1 & 2; Rainbow Six series; Splinter Cell series is about even; End War's kinda just meh, but there are lots of TC games that are all more fun and overall better on PC. I can usually bank on that just from experience alone.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 2:48 pm 
Clawhammer
Clawhammer

End War was geared towards console users it seems, but it didn't shrink any when it went to PC. Had that for the 360 and it was fun, never finished it though since Forza 2 grabbed my attention shortly thereafter. I felt as is RSV2 left something out as far as performance goes. I had the 360 and PC versions and I wish the same performance was there.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 1:30 pm 
Team Member Top 1000
Team Member Top 1000

Isn't it cheaper on PC most times? Not including the AAA titles on Steam, which seem to have matched the consoles on the $60 price tag.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:09 pm 
Willamette
Willamette

CTskifreak wrote:
Isn't it cheaper on PC most times? Not including the AAA titles on Steam, which seem to have matched the consoles on the $60 price tag.

No.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 7:14 pm 
Clawhammer
Clawhammer

PM_DMNKLR wrote:
CTskifreak wrote:

No.

loltorrent

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:05 pm 
Willamette
Willamette

AZNgamerX800 wrote:
PM_DMNKLR wrote:
CTskifreak wrote:

No.

loltorrent

*clicks "like" button*

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 3:02 pm 
Northwood
Northwood

CTskifreak wrote:

I am really pissed off at the $60 Steam games. I mean, they make 30% at retail, but 70% on Steam, yet the games are the same damned price for the first year. And not only that, I can find a lot of semi-old (5 years or so) games much cheaper on Amazon than on Steam, which is ridiculous. Yes, they don't want to piss off the retailers by forcing them to compete at-launch with Steam, but do they even carry PC games any more? I know that the local Gamestops' (plural possessive, bitches) basically carry Starcraft 2 in the PC section.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 6:29 pm 
Willamette
Willamette

I've yet to find a retail store that doesn't have at least a remotely decent, albeit small, pc games section. Stores like Walmart usually have a good 20' wall, on average, whilst most Gamestops have a dual-sided 4-5' rack, which basically amounts to an 8-10' wall section. Some Mall Gamestops actually have more than that. Chances are, when you go visit the one(s) close to you, they're simply just sold out of the other titles at the moment. Not saying that's fact, just a guess, since it's not a good business model for them to continually lack replenishment of any of a type/platform of game.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 7:11 am 
Little Foot
Little Foot

From what I've seen, many brick and mortar stores are slowing downsizing their PC game sections. Maybe it's just where I live but the PC game sections seem to be getting smaller while the console sections are staying the same or even getting bigger. Take the local Best Buy for instance. 4 years ago, they had 3 full 20-30 foot rows of PC games (4with 3-4 shelves per row). Now, they're down to 1 20 foot section.

They also seem to keep titles on the shelves for shorter amounts of time. Basically they'll have 2 or 3 titles per genre displayed but as soon as another title is released, one of the other ones is gone. I remember times wen you could still find 6+ month old titles. Now it seems like 4 weeks go by and they're gone.

Because of this, I find myself buying more and more games from amazon. I'll usually read of reviews online and them buy. I've found IGN to have pretty good reviews, especially when titles are on multiple systems. Most of the time they provide reviews for each system and compaire them as well so you can see what your getting/missing out on between the different systems.

Of course being a PC guy I usually go with the PC version, unless it totally blows. But to each his own i guess.

fly

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 9:14 pm 
Willamette
Willamette

That sucks, where I live those shelves are flourishing really well. All the retail stores, BB included, have a nice amount of titles. Walmart and Kmart usually have only 1 to 2 20' sections, but I've seen my closest BB still having around 6+ 20' sections, just for PC titles, and a lot of them are ones that go back for years, like HL2, Doom 3, Quake 4, etc. I guess it all depends on what the last few years' sales have been like, idk.