Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 4:49 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: IDEA: 360 Controller To Steer Wheel 900 Degrees
PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 2:39 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

I love racing games, but after purchasing a guitar and turntables, I don't have enough money left to buy a Logitech G25 or G27. Also, my cheap wheel that only turns 180 degrees is not cutting it at all, especially for the simulators I use such as rFactor and GTR2. I have a wired Xbox 360 controller that I use for some PC games, and an idea came to my mind.. I don't know if it could be programmed, but anything seems to be possible nowadays in the technological field.

A 360 controller setup that would steer a cars wheel the same way you would in real life by rotating the Left Thumbstick, the same way you do with a real car.
Rotating the Thumbstick counter-clockwise would turn the car left, and clockwise would be to turn right.
You would have to turn the Thumbstick back the other way to straighten out the wheel, or release the Thumbstick completely to have it automatically center the wheel, the same way a real car does with electric steering.

I'm sick of moving the thumbstick left and right extremely precisely, it's troublesome and very frustrating. If this idea could somehow be made, using my 360 controller wouldn't be that big of a deal for the time being.

Also, if this has already been made, please give me the link lol

Post subject: Re: IDEA: 360 Controller To Steer Wheel 900 Degrees
PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 7:59 pm 
Willamette
Willamette

It's obviously possible, but one little detail that you got wrong: no car, that I've ever heard of, EVER automatically centers and realigns the wheels when you let go of the steering wheel, lol. Not in the real world anyway.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 3:10 am 
Little Foot
Little Foot

Lol i was probably thinking of some race wheel... but yeah i really want this functionality for my controller, anyone working on something like this?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 9:45 pm 
Klamath
Klamath

On flat, smooth ground, if you let go of a car's wheel, it'll straighten by itself. It's a really useful trick when you're drifting and you are trying to straighten out of a corner...This seems like a great idea btw.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 12:12 am 
Little Foot
Little Foot

i really hope someone can do this, i want to be able to drive racing sims with my controller

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 5:21 am 
Clawhammer
Clawhammer

PM_DMNKLR wrote:
It's obviously possible, but one little detail that you got wrong: no car, that I've ever heard of, EVER automatically centers and realigns the wheels when you let go of the steering wheel, lol. Not in the real world anyway.

Really? Every car I've come across does it.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 9:17 pm 
Willamette
Willamette

They're designed to attempt to realign the wheels, but I have yet to see one that successfully does this 100%, and I've driven well over a good 80+ different vehicles, well over.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 2:58 pm 
Million Club - 5 Plus
Million Club - 5 Plus

PM_DMNKLR wrote:
They're designed to attempt to realign the wheels, but I have yet to see one that successfully does this 100%, and I've driven well over a good 80+ different vehicles, well over.

well, try driving a well maintained one, not junks. all the ones Ive owned will center coming out of a corner. just let go of the wheel and youre going straight (while moving at a decent speed on level surfaces anyway).

as for a driving game controller, I would love to use a RC car pistol grip controller. like this. I use this style with my RC10.. very natural. automatically centers, fully proportional, pull the trigger to go forwards, push forwards to brake/reverse

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 8:38 pm 
Willamette
Willamette

CharBroiled wrote:
well, try driving a well maintained one, not junks. all the ones Ive owned will center coming out of a corner. just let go of the wheel and youre going straight (while moving at a decent speed on level surfaces anyway).

No need to be an ass about it, seriously. I've included many new vehicles, like at car dealerships, etc., and on level as well as non-level (like more traditional roads, etc.) surfaces. Like I said, they're designed to attempt it, but this isn't the age of "Demolition Man", the cars aren't fully automated yet.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 10:33 pm 
Million Club - 5 Plus
Million Club - 5 Plus

while I probably could of phrased it more politely, the point remains: modern cars do automatically center on level surfaces at speed (not counting torque steer etc). by design. if they dont, somethings wrong. tire pressure/mismatch/wear, alignment, frame tweaking, damage, worn components. whatever. hence, whatever cars youre basing your observations on are sub standard in someway.

if youd like to discuss it further we can head to the break room, and keep this thread on topic.

nafiul93, my apologies for going off track.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 2:32 pm 
Northwood
Northwood

PM_DMNKLR wrote:
CharBroiled wrote:

No need to be an ass about it, seriously. I've included many new vehicles, like at car dealerships, etc., and on level as well as non-level (like more traditional roads, etc.) surfaces. Like I said, they're designed to attempt it, but this isn't the age of "Demolition Man", the cars aren't fully automated yet.

Well, my 20 year old Camry manages to do it.

Anyway, OP, I am not sure whether it will work or not, but XBCD for 360 controllers might have a mode that does that, or at least their forums will have tons of people who might have a workaround.