Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Wed Nov 26, 2014 9:29 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Voice Chat via XBOX Live / Charging stations
PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 5:13 pm 
Thunderbird
Thunderbird

i was going to purchase a Kinect unit so i can video chat with friends, but then i read that feature is a Live feature, so i would have to pony up for the GOLD account to use the Kinect to video chat.

i saw a headset for i think it was 19.99$, so my question would be, could i still voice chat without a GOLD member account with my friends? or is voice chat via headset also part of the GOLD member ship to Live, because its an online service? my guess would be No, but i want to make sure.

i just got my 360 slim (4GB) a few days ago, so i am still learning about this xbox online stuff. i have been able to create my avatar, set up a connection to my main PC, and buy a few things on the marketplace with my so far free month.

also...

what would be the best charging method? purchasing a charging station that plugs into a wall outlet, or using the play n charge kit/cable things? i have already bought 2 controllers preciously for my PC to use in platforming games n such, so im just reusing existing hardware at the moment to charge my controllers (the play n charge kits - i have 2 USB charge cables already)

Post subject: Re: Voice Chat via XBOX Live / Charging stations
PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 12:44 pm 
Boy in Black
Boy in Black

I believe the online service stays the same no matter what Xbox you have. To game with others, you need to pay up. That gets you online and all the benefits. The good news is that Kinect should come with a Gold Trial period card (my old vanilla Xbox360 did) and you can ensure this is what you're missing. "IF" it has that, run without and see if you can play with friends and chat. If it doesn't, then add the key and you should be online.

Without a membership, I just see my friends signing on and off, but they can't see me. I may play an hour of Madden, but when I go to their house an hour later they see I haven't been on in about a year. Is it worth $50 a year? Up to you. I paid $9 for a steam/PC game that's given me more grief that it's worth for my $50 ISP charge. I'd pay $50 a year on the Xbox now that I've witnessed this. But they need to update their games...cause I can't play with them on their 7 month old games. /end rant.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 7:46 pm 
Thunderbird
Thunderbird

just found out today that i need to now purchase the 250GB HDD to even try Halo online. this is becoming a very expensive venture. at least with my PC, internet access is a driver install and a connection away, instead of a HDD upgrade to my 4GB XBOX Slim.

good thing transcribing pays well at the moment.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 1:58 pm 

Yes, but you also won't have to replace the entire guts of the XBOX once a new game comes out as with most of us PC gamers every so often.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 11:42 am 
Thunderbird
Thunderbird

that is true. i really only have the console at the moment to stream music and play games when my main PC is down for a few hours for upgrades or maintenance, like cleaning or rewiring with new power supply or case.